Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Update on C1 motor with EFI Cross Ram

firstgear

Corvette
15 Z06, 01 Vert, 63 SWC & 60 ALL RED
Had a friend come over yesterday to help me redo the manifold install (wasn't comfortable with the install I did by myself, so re-did it) as well as the March billet stuff for the fan belt, alternator and water pump. Here are the photos...

IMG_2500s-vi.jpg

IMG_2506s-vi.jpg

IMG_2509s-vi.jpg

Ran into a little problem with the distributor. Even though it is a small cap style, it bumped into the back of the manifold. So I ended up grinding just a small amoount away to check for fit. Now I need to take it apart and have it turned to that diameter since we don't know exactly where the distributor will end up. By turning, then we will be able to get it set where ever it needs to be. With the dual sync distributor, there are a number of gyrations that we have to go through before we can button that up. so we have decided to leave the installation for the distributor and the starter motor for the end, right as we get things together for trying to start it up.
IMG_2492s-vi.jpg

Had to grind off about 0.040 to 0.060. So now I need to take this apart as far as I can, get it turned down to the point where the last grind mark comes off, then I am good to go.

When it comes time to fire this bad boy up, I can see a bunch of stuff to be done....I am guessing that probably a full day or maybe even 2 to get it going. With the ECM and all, this is going to be fun!

Stay tuned....

Herb

my web site with progress photos, now over 500: http://public.fotki.com/htmiata/1960_corvette/

Herb
Looks good!!!
What distributer is that, does it hace a tach drive?
Courious as I plan on using EFI on my 68 one day and will need a small cap electronic dist. with a tach drive.
Craig sr.

Herb
Looks good!!!
What distributer is that, does it hace a tach drive?
Courious as I plan on using EFI on my 68 one day and will need a small cap electronic dist. with a tach drive.
Craig sr.
it has dual outputs, one for a tach and the other output is for the ECM. When I set up the EFI, it will be sequential and that requires knowing where the crankshaft is at all the time to fire each injector seperately. Hence the dual outputs.

Herb

the instruction sheet that came with it was quite impressive. It just wasn't stick it in at TDC and go.....there is a lot of fussing to do before it is ready....I will have to scan the sheet in and post it....after you look at it you will understand why we decided to install the distributor until we are ready to fire up the car.....it needs power, it needs to be attached to the ECM, it nees to have the laptop attached to the ECM....get the picture of what needs to be inplace to set this up? YIKES.....

Herb

I was wondering if it had a mechanical drive cable for the mechanical tach, but I forgot those really old Vettes drove the tach from the generator ;)

I was wondering if it had a mechanical drive cable for the mechanical tach, but I forgot those really old Vettes drove the tach from the generator ;)
nope..sorry, all electrical!

Herb, put an item on your pre-start checklist called "pressure relief"; you need a crankcase vent of some sort, somewhere, or crankcase pressure will start blowing gaskets and seals within seconds after you start it for the first time. It's too pretty to have to tear it apart and replace gaskets and seals right away. :)

Herb, put an item on your pre-start checklist called "pressure relief"; you need a crankcase vent of some sort, somewhere, or crankcase pressure will start blowing gaskets and seals within seconds after you start it for the first time. It's too pretty to have to tear it apart and replace gaskets and seals right away. :)
John, you will notice that I have valvel cover aluminum extenders under the valve covers. The plan is to put breathers into both of the valve cover extenders, that way I don't have to mess up the covers....that is on the plan of stuff to be done. I need to get some aluminum tubing bent, then holes drilled in the extenders and finally welded in place. Then I can get some breather to attach, which will also be my oil fill.....

thanks for the catch!!!

Herb

Herb

Man Oh Man thats a lot of glitter. Going to look great.

Did you test the dist with the cap on? As the cap normally over hangs the housing.
the cap is just slightly smaller than the billet. I was thinking of having the cap on when it gets turned down then it can be matched up precisely the same diameter.....at least that is what I am thinking....

Herb

I was wondering what those extenders where. I've never seen them before..
Great idea for your vent and oil fill dilema..

I was wondering what those extenders where. I've never seen them before..
Great idea for your vent and oil fill dilema..
I am going to have to polish them after I find the vents.....still looking for something that I like....if anyone has souces....please pass them on....

Looking better all the time.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom