Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What are true 'Sawblades' ??

Ruby Fan

Corvette
1985 Black Beauty Coupe, 93 Ruby, 96 CE vert
I know what 'sawblades' refer to but there are 2 different styles.... there is one type on 89-90(?) and there is another style where the 'teeth' are curved more, at the end of the C4 series. I thought this later style were called 'weathervanes'. Or does it make much of a difference? thanks. :confused

The 89-91 wheels are also referred to as "cuisinarts". I've heard more guys refer to the later style, 92-96, as sawblades, making it easier to distinguish between the two.:w

Yup, 3dale1 is correct.

what about '91

Yup, 3dale1 is correct.

I don't think so. :confused There is no difference between the '91 wheels and the 92 to 96 wheels. So why wouldn't you call the '91 wheels sawblades?

Jim S. :w

Ok, 91-96 are sawblades the 88-90 are the "cuisinarts" I didn't read his answer close enough. The 91 and 92 wheels were all painted argent color, and in 93-96 the face was machined with the argent color painted in the recesses.

Sorry, I guess my years were off a little. I thought 91's were cuisinarts w/o the big centercap; must be the 90.;shrug

Sorry, I guess my years were off a little. I thought 91's were cuisinarts w/o the big centercap; must be the 90.;shrug

90's did not have the big centercaps - only opt. 88's and all 89's did :cool

91 and 92 had pained sawblades

93-96 had machined sawblades

I hope this helps :v

I have read that the 88-90 wheels are called "salad shooters" after a period TV infomercial product called the same thing.

I have read that the 88-90 wheels are called "salad shooters" after a period TV infomercial product called the same thing.

Well, I like salad so I am keeping my salad machine. :L I even plan on refinishing my salad shooters this winter.

Glenn
:w

90's did not have the big centercaps - only opt. 88's and all 89's did :cool

91 and 92 had pained sawblades

93-96 had machined sawblades

I hope this helps :v
And for the record the 96 CE had the painted silver ZR 1 style wheel to round out the above...........................:)
RG

Addressing the Argent Gray...

Argent Gray was first introduced on the C4 wheels in 1987. The recessed center and outer slots were painted argent gray. ’84 and ’85 C4’s had black center sections and outer slots. The ’86’s center recess was left unpainted and I think the outer slots received a paint treatment (Argent Gray?).

As mentioned, ’91-’92 wheels were machined differently than ’93-’96 wheels. ’93-’96 technically did not have Argent Gray applied to their wheels. Argent Gray is rather dark, if I can find a quality photo of the ’87 wheel coloration, I will post it here so we can see the difference.

’93-’96 (excluding the ’96 GS which were black, and the ’95 PC and ’96 CE wheels which were finished the same as ZR-1 wheels) were machined to a higher luster and clearcoated without having Argent Gray applied to the wheels. The outer slots variation in appearance is from surface finishing and not paint pigment.

It’s 4:40 am, I’m going to bed!

B17Crew

Update...

Checked my archives, at this time, I don’t have any photos of OEM ’87 wheels.

B17Crew

Huh? Im a little lost here. Salad shooters? Cuisinarts? I have stock "saw blade" wheels on my 92 coupe. Aluminum wheels as far as I can tell as a magnet will not stick to any part of them, and chrome plated as well. The 92 shop service manual mentions all the wheels were aluminum, I originally thought these wheels were steel, hence the magnet check. I know manufacturers offer many wheel options. Whatever they are called, whatever they are made of, they're beautiful and stylish in todays world. Anyone know where I can get a set of 11X17's for the rear?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom