Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Roll bar advice needed

carrollm

Corvette
64 327/300 4sp.CP., 66 CP 355/4sp
Anyone have pics or advice on where to mount the roll bars on to the frame of a mid year? I have an 8 point cage kit from Jegs. It consists of a main hoop, 2 bars that run to the rear, 2 bars that run up beside the door, and some X braces that go inside the main hoop. I really need to know where to place that main hoop to get started. It looks like it would sit on the rear kickup, but that seems too far back??

64mike

Allthough I cant answer your question directly I will PM a guy who can show us some pictures of what he did ,

I will contact him

roll bar

Hello
Larry PM'ed me about your question
Did you get any instructions with your cage or is a universal fit? The main bar needs to go to the frame rails, What is the width across the bottom of the main bar?
The X - brace is good but it may get in the way of your storage compt> What are you using the car for?? race or just to strenghten things up a bit??
The side bar may make it hard to get over on the drivers side with the steering wheel. You can get a swing out side bar kit from many of the chassis suppliers ie Competition Engineering
I found a lot of this while doing my own and after talking to others
........ see for yourself,,, mine is still on a GM style frame
http://photobucket.com/albums/a86/henny496/?addtype=web&multi=1

Let me know some of the measurements and what you want from the car
take care
Tom

Hello
I don't think you have an X brace. You should have two shorter bars plus a longer one for a crossbrace on your roll bar
The shorter bars should go from the bottom of the cross bar at the edge of the roll bar and extend towards the rear frame rails on about a 20* angle
I think that is how an 8 pt is sent out now, I can tell you where to put all to be in spec
The shorter bars may be a problem in clearing the wheel arches....maybe not .. my tubs are large so I am not sure how much room you have with the stock configuration
take care
Tom

Hello
Larry PM'ed me about your question
Did you get any instructions with your cage or is a universal fit? The main bar needs to go to the frame rails, What is the width across the bottom of the main bar?
The X - brace is good but it may get in the way of your storage compt> What are you using the car for?? race or just to strenghten things up a bit??
The side bar may make it hard to get over on the drivers side with the steering wheel. You can get a swing out side bar kit from many of the chassis suppliers ie Competition Engineering
I found a lot of this while doing my own and after talking to others
........ see for yourself,,, mine is still on a GM style frame
http://photobucket.com/albums/a86/henny496/?addtype=web&multi=1

Let me know some of the measurements and what you want from the car
take care
Tom

Thanks Tom

If you're going to race it, the first thing I'd do is to check out the rule book for the sanctioning organization you're going to run in - each one has their own interpretation of what a "correct" roll cage is, and after it's cut, welded, and installed is the wrong time to find out that it doesn't "quite" meet their requirements. :)

Hello
You can get a rule bok from your local track or by writing to IHRA or NHRA.com
If you are intending on racing the car you may also find a few other safety items that you will be required to have and where to place them( driveshaft loop for one)
Chassisworks is owned by Chris Alston(Alston chassis) and they offer a catalog which has quite a few pages at the back of various cars being caged and tubbed. You may learn lots from the pics for how they put it together
I think to put a roll bar in, I would lay it back a bit on an angle( 20 * is maximum allowed) and you may have problems with the crossbar hitting the back of the seat.......moving you closer to the wheel( I had one bent up with a 3 in rear bend to it. and went to thinner style seat)
On a stock vette, I am not sure how far back you can weld in the back without cutting up a lot of the body. If you cannot get back to the rear crossmember you can weld brackets out from the side of the main rails for the roll bar to sit on. The brackets will have to be well boxed in for support of the bar
You may also have width probems with the side bar and hitting your arms, depending on how wide your main roll bar is at that point
.......you don't have a lot of extra room inside these vettes
take care
Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom