Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

stripped threads

blockhead

I have a 93 vert and am in the process of installing a new exhaust system. In the process I needed to remove the cross brace on the bottom. In doing so I noticed that it must have been removed before. Three of the bolts were missing and upon closer inspection I noticed these holes were stripped. Also one of the thread inserts in the frame twisted off the frame when I tried to remove it. I ended up cutting the bolt off with a hacksaw. Luckily there is only one damaged bolt on each of the four ends but would still like to repair the threads. Has anybody heard off a fix for my problem?

you could use tapersets or helicoils I think the first ones are better:upthumbs you only need a min amount of tools and mechanical ability. the repairs are as good if not better than original :D Steve

Helicoils are better than the original design. We install helicoils in combat vehicle suspension systems which take lots & lots of shock :)

Cheers,

Selim

dont think there ia enough meat there to hold heli-coil-there is an insert in the frame which is only about 1/4 inch thick-was thinking of using a self tapper but havent found one that big

check out taper sert may be what you need I will seeif i can get some part # if you are interested Steve

am a little confused myself the correct name is time serts they are preformed and thread into a tapered hole made with the tools supplied with the kit the other option and maybe better are thread serts these fit into a predrilled hole then there is a tool that collapses the unit and it makes contact 360 degrees on both side of the repair . The first ones mentioned are used to repair stripped plug holes but many other sizes are available hope this helps you can find them both with a goggle search Steve

Also try "nutserts" in your search. that is what I've known them as.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom