Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Jacking

J

Jimmy

I read a message relating to jacking the front end of a Corvette using 2X12's, then a floor jack on the cross member. Very helpful, thanks.

How about the rear of the car? Any good safe suggestions?

One side at a time works for me, doesn't matter if it is front or rear. Devices are available to slip between the tail pipes to jack from the rear center, but I see it as an unnecessary expense.

I expect that you raised each side from the recommended jacking points, correct? I have heard of concerns regarding damage to the body, floor pans, etc. So, I was looking for a focal point on the frame structure to raise both sides a one time, then place jack stands.

If I seem a little niave, it is because this is my first Corvette and I am in the learning process. A very interesting learning process, one in which I would prefer not to make too many costly mistakes.

I expect that you raised each side from the recommended jacking points, correct? I have heard of concerns regarding damage to the body, floor pans, etc. So, I was looking for a focal point on the frame structure to raise both sides a one time, then place jack stands.

Yes, absolutely. I jack only from the designated locations and then shift to the other end or opposite side depending on what my needs are and place the jack stands under frame rails. I leave the doors closed and the solid top in place also. I don't want you to misconstrue anything I would write here about jack stand placement so I am reluctant to describe it in print but suffice it to say you must be certain your stands are under the frame rail and not the floor pan. Do some searching here for C4 jack stand placement, I seem to recall some pics or some links to other sites that have them.

Disclaimer: This is the way I do it. You may get conflicting advice here or elsewhere, which is fine and good. You are the one ultimately responsible for your own safety and protection of your vehicle from damage. Be careful. Knowlege will work to keep you and your car safe.

Hey Kobet, what have we came to we now place a discliamer when we try to talk to someone. I guess it's not a bad idea but I haven't thought about it until I saw yours. Sorry didn't mean to start new post but just wondered.

Hey Kopbet, what have we came to we now place a discliamer when we try to talk to someone. I guess it's not a bad idea but I haven't thought about it until I saw yours. Sorry didn't mean to start new post but just wondered.

Hey Kopbet, what have we came to we now place a discliamer when we try to talk to someone. I guess it's not a bad idea but I haven't thought about it until I saw yours. Sorry didn't mean to start new post but just wondered.

If it weren't dealing with jacking the car and potential death or severe damage I wouldn't worry about it too much. But just in case, I don't want anyone mad at me because of an accident.

I don't see any reason you can't jack anywhere along the frame providing your on the frame without hitting the body or any lines etc. I have two floor jacks and place one on each side just a little behind the front jacking position. This balances the car and I go a little at a time on each side, putting the jackstands in place as soon as they will fit.Then as I go higher I raise the jackstands.

Glenn
:w

I jack my car on the side about 2 inches behind the mirror. Then I put my stands on the frame rails and go to the other side. As said earlier do not use the floor pan but the very edge of the body to frame location.

Thanks to all of you for your responses. I think I have the idea.

When I jack up the car,I pop the hood/pop the doors to help wit the flex in the C-4 frame.

When I jack up the car,I pop the hood/pop the doors to help wit the flex in the C-4 frame.

When I jack my 1994 convertivle, I always open the doors, hood, and the rear deck lid if I don't have the hard top on. For my 2002 coupe, I use the jack lift plates sold by MAMW that slide into the jack slots on the frame. I open both door, pop the rear lid, and open the hood. I did this on all my previous vettes. I also insist that the dealers who jack up my vettes to work on the tires open the doors, etc. It only makes sense to prevent any strain/stress/torquing by the uneven lifting of the car from the side.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom