Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Here's my new project

Curby

Corvette
71, 72, 73, 82, & 00
1982 Crossfire Injection, Black on Black, Rally wheels (were they an option in 82?), 51,000 miles, previous owner went offroading, and busted up the front nose. All new fiberglass inner fenders, bumper and nose. ALl the parts are there (well, at least most are) The seats are fine, but smell of cat. The carpet is out and the floor pans still have the factory paint - no rust at all. The engine has been detailed by a ricer (he painted the alternator red!), the rear brakes don't work, and the tranny won't shift into reverse.

Other than that, she is pristine!

Oh, the clock works!

I have already bought carpet, tires, and some misc parts that I will need.

I am in the middle of restoring another 82 with a friend in my club. When we get his gold one finished, mine goes in the shop.

Here is a pic out in front of her birthplace:

Copy_of_01-02-07_1256.jpg

enjoy working on your new toy!!!!
hope you have fun!!!! :upthumbs

Yes, rally wheels were an option, though you don't see too many of them.
Good luck with your project.:)

Good luck with the project. Keep us updated with pics, we all love projects.

:w
-Stefan

Looks like a nice project. Enjoy. The rally wheels were standard and the alloys were optional. Of the 18648 1982 Corvette Sport Coupes built 16844 were equipped with option N90 aluminum wheels. That leaves only 1804 cars that were delivered with the standard steel rally wheel making it a rather rare. You can bet that of the remainder of the 1804 that still survive a good number of them have been switched to N90s by now. If you keep the rallys your car will stand out in the crowd of alloys and custom wheels.

Tom

Tom, thanks for the information. Would manual seats make it even more rare?;)

It appears to be a base model, when the country was ramping up for excess. I read somewhere that the 1982 was the first Corvette where the base price was over $20,000 or something like that.

I plan to keep this one stock. When I finish the restoration, I plan to sell it for a profit.

I will keep as much original as I can. The Torq Thrust II wheels look great on these cars, but they are becoming almost as common as the factory alloys.

I need to get someone to run the VIN on carfax and also try to deciper it to see when it was built, and what features were on it from the factory.

You also have a clock....which I believe is unusual.

You can still buy the build sheet from GM. I think they want $50.

Jim

Jim is right. You can obtain a copy of your car's original build sheet from the NCM. The cost is listed on the link and it is really the best way to go. Your car may also still have a copy glued to the top of your fuel tank. I think that they still did that in '82. Notice that on the order form there are some serial numbers for '82 that have been lost.

Most cars did come with power drivers seat swo you car seems to be a rather low option one in a time when they were usually loaded.

Tom

I plan to keep this one stock. When I finish the restoration, I plan to sell it for a profit.
Not trying to be a "Debbie Downer / Bob Bummer" here, but...phew...*wiping my brow*...Best of luck with that endeavor! I hope you are going to be doing all your own wrenching and have a line on some discounted OEM parts...

Tom, thanks for the information. Would manual seats make it even more rare?;)

It appears to be a base model, when the country was ramping up for excess. I read somewhere that the 1982 was the first Corvette where the base price was over $20,000 or something like that.

I will keep as much original as I can. The Torq Thrust II wheels look great on these cars, but they are becoming almost as common as the factory alloys.

I need to get someone to run the VIN on carfax and also try to deciper it to see when it was built, and what features were on it from the factory.

1979s were the first year Corvette to have a base price of over $10,000, with the price of $10,200. It might be the first americen car to have a base over 10 grand, im not sure. Is that what yer thinking about?
zachh

82 Corvette was the first on in history have a list price over $20,000. Check the tech center up above...lots of info on the 82.

Jim

Not trying to be a "Debbie Downer / Bob Bummer" here, but...phew...*wiping my brow*...Best of luck with that endeavor! I hope you are going to be doing all your own wrenching and have a line on some discounted OEM parts...
My personal favorite, is Wendy Whiner...

Yeah, i rarely let anyone else touch my cars. I have been building cars for 33 years, and I am only 40 years old. Kinda like the Tiger Woods of shade tree mechanics.

All of the parts are there for the car. The mechanics are solid, and show a well-maintained car of 51,000 miles. The rough part is the way it looks. Once I get the chassit checked on the frame machine, and the front bonded to the car, it will be all me.

I figgured it would be more profitable pumping money into a car that might just appreciate some day, than puting more mods on my Infiniti Q45. At least people make parts for the Corvette. I have to machine all my own stuff on the Q.

The Corvette forums are much more informative than the Nissan ones, too.

You also have a clock....which I believe is unusual.

You can still buy the build sheet from GM. I think they want $50.

Jim
AND, the clock is a Quartz clock to boot! :upthumbs

Where is the clock....in the lower left? No oil pressure guage?

Most parts are easy to find. But some were specific to a 1982. Example...rear yokes...bigger....only made for an 82. Either that or the wrong ones were on my car when I bought it.:rotfl

The clock was based on the radio selected. If one of the ETR radios was ordered it had a digital clock in the display so you got an oil temp gauge. If U58 standard am/fm stereo radio (1533 ordered)or UL5 radio delete (150 ordered) was selected then the clock was in the dash and you didn't get the oil temp gauge.

Tom

Here is another shot of the car:
26ff_1.jpg

The hood has a few cracks in it, but I think it might be salvageable. The doors back is the original GM paint, and it is in realtively good shape. Only scratches from sitting in garages for years. No oxidation, peeling, or wear. All of the front end is new GM parts. Bumper, bumper cover, nose, inner fenders, lights, grills, everything.

The rocker panels are missing, and the emblems are all missing. The threashold pieces are missing, and the dash is cracked.

If anybody has some 1982 emblems, let me know.

I like a good project like that, sure it will be alot of work but well worth it!

Update

I got new seats, new carpet, new rocker panels, new sill plates, some chrome exhaust tips (couldn't resist the price), a nearly-new storage cover, new front marker light trim pieces, a fairly good condition nose emblem, a good condition hood, and some decent tires for the car.

The parts gathering is getting close to complete. I still need a rear emblem and a gas door emblem, and all the vacuum lines for the front headlights. I think I have all the actuators and switches.

Once I get the thing in a covered facility, I can tear into the brake system and replace all the fluids to get her ready for some driving.

The tranny won't shift into reverse. The gear shift clicks, the engine idle speed changes, but the car does not want to move at all. I checked the fluid level and it seems fine. It was a little low. The car will go into drive, but since the rear brakes were dry, it is real scary to test the tranny now.

If anybody has any ideas about the tranny, please let me know. The PO said it had been rebuilt in the past, but no reciepts were provided to prove it. If it is trashed, I may spring for a new Gear Star tranny and TC.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom