Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Chrome Wheels

Remo

Gone but not forgotten
Corvette
2001 Quicksilver Lingenfelter Convertible
Detail Dude,

Did you ever get the issue of chrome wheel care resolved. I know there's different opinions about waxing them. Any news?

Remo:cool

Remo - Wax works Great! :upthumbs

BTW - How do the new wheels & tires look, got any pictures? ;shrug

Later - D

Dwayne - good quality paste wax sounds pretty good to me. The tires got here on Monday and as you know I've had the wheels for a couple of months. I have an appointment at the local Chevy dealer on the 22nd to get everything mounted and balanced. I'll take pictures right away and get them posted.

The problem with using a typical paste wax is the fact that it doesn't hold up to the heat that is generated in that area. Stick with a durable paint sealant.

The problem with using a typical paste wax is the fact that it doesn't hold up to the heat that is generated in that area. Stick with a durable paint sealant.

ZainO,

I'm sure your idea has some merit but I've gone to the wheel care sections of most of the major wheel manufacturers and they recommend keeping the wheels clean and periodically waxing them. Not one suggested the use of paint sealer.

Here's an independent site that also recommends the same care procedure for chrome wheels.
http://www.northhantstyres.com/faq wheels.htm

ZainO,

I'm sure your idea has some merit but I've gone to the wheel care sections of most of the major wheel manufacturers and they recommend keeping the wheels clean and periodically waxing them. Not one suggested the use of paint sealer.

Here's an independent site that also recommends the same care procedure for chrome wheels.
http://www.northhantstyres.com/faq wheels.htm

A paint sealant is essentially a wax on steriods (ie. greater durability and heat tolerance). Check out an automotive detailing forum...they think the idea of paint sealants has some merit, too. Periodic waxing with paste wax isn't going to give you anything more than periodic protection. :)

Zane Oliver
Shine Shoppe Automotive Detailing

A paint sealant is essentially a wax on steriods (ie. greater durability and heat tolerance). Check out an automotive detailing forum...they think the idea of paint sealants has some merit, too. Periodic waxing with paste wax isn't going to give you anything more than periodic protection. :)

Zane Oliver
Shine Shoppe Automotive Detailing

So Zane,

I'm trying to understand. What you're saying is essentially the same as Remo? He says wax - you say paint sealant (or wax on steroids??)? How is this sealant applied? Who makes it?

BTW - welcome to the CAC!

Jane Ann

So Zane,

I'm trying to understand. What you're saying is essentially the same as Remo? He says wax - you say paint sealant (or wax on steroids??)? How is this sealant applied? Who makes it?

BTW - welcome to the CAC!

Jane Ann

Sealants can be applied by hand or machine, just like any liquid wax.

Many companies make sealants - Zaino Z5 Pro and Z2 Pro, Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant, Jeff's Werkstatt Acrylic Jett, Klasse Sealant Glaze, Rejex, Mother's Reflections, Meguiar's #21, etc.

Thanks for the welcome :cool

If you like Zaino, great. If you don't like Zaino, that's great too. That's why I listed 7 different brands.

:)

Zane,

The Mequires #21 sealer - while designed for paint - looks like it might be a good idea. Sounds good to me.

Zane,

The Mequires #21 sealer - while designed for paint - looks like it might be a good idea. Sounds good to me.

Although sealants are primarily designed for paint, they work on any hard, non-textured surface - paint, glass, wheels, bumpers (chrome and paint), etc.

I wax/seal every exterior surface except for the tires and textured trim

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom