Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Corvette Racing to Defend American Le Mans Series Championships in 2007

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
Corvette Racing to Defend American Le Mans Series Championships in 2007

Corvette Racing Aims to Repeat Manufacturers, Team and Drivers Titles

FOR RELEASE: 2007-01-17
GM Media Press Release

DETROIT – Corvette Racing officials announced today that America's premier production sports car team intends to return to the American Le Mans Series in 2007 to defend its GT1 manufacturers, team and drivers championships. Corvette Racing also plans to race for its sixth GT1 class title in seven years at the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

"The Corvette C6.R race program continues Chevrolet’s tradition of racing production-based vehicles to improve the breed," said GM Racing director Mark Kent. "The continuous exchange of information and the constant transfer of technology between the racing and production programs ensure that lessons learned on the track benefit every Corvette on the highway."

Corvette Racing will test in February in preparation for the season-opening round of the 12-race ALMS series, the Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring, on March 17, 2007.

Since its debut in 1999, Corvette Racing has competed in 77 races, scoring 51 victories and 34 one-two finishes. The team has won the ALMS GT1 manufacturers championship for Chevrolet six consecutive years. Corvette Racing drivers Ron Fellows, Johnny O'Connell, Oliver Gavin and Olivier Beretta have combined to win the ALMS GT1 drivers championship five consecutive seasons. Other highlights include five GT1 class victories in the 24 Hours of Le Mans and an overall victory in the 2001 Rolex 24 at Daytona.

General Motors Corp. (NYSE: GM), the world’s largest automaker, has been the global industry sales leader for 75 years. Founded in 1908, GM today employs about 327,000 people around the world. With global headquarters in Detroit, GM manufactures its cars and trucks in 33 countries. In 2005, 9.17 million GM cars and trucks were sold globally under the following brands: Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, GMC, GM Daewoo, Holden, HUMMER, Opel, Pontiac, Saab, Saturn and Vauxhall. GM operates one of the world’s leading finance companies, GMAC Financial Services, which offers automotive, residential and commercial financing and insurance. GM’s OnStar subsidiary is the industry leader in vehicle safety, security and information services. More information on GM can be found at www.gm.com.

CONTACT(S):
Rick Voegelin
GM Racing Communications
(831) 761-2201
rickvoegelin@compuserve.com

since the corvettes will have no competition but each other the organizers should remove all restrictions on the corvettes and let them run for the overall win

Smoke the Astin Martin's

What Astin Martins? What competition?

Prodrive has dropped the Astin program and moved on to other things. There may be one privateer Astin supported by some of the Prodrive people. Even the Saleens have gone home.

Prodrive has dropped the Astin program and moved on to other things. There may be one privateer Astin supported by some of the Prodrive people. Even the Saleens have gone home.

Didn't here this Fantastic News...Geaux C6-R's Geaux Saints

Motorman's Right - Hammer Down!

Go for it Vette Racing, don't get soft! Chase the Prototypes for the research of it and get all the technological improvements that you can. We'll back you and our great drivers all the way.
Racing is research!!

Since there's really no competition maybe the "Powers That Be" could remove some of the restrictions that were put on the Corvette. So that Aston and Saleen could compete. At least I am pretty sure I've heard that some weight and carburation restrictions were applied to the Corvette. With those removed they could stand a better chance at competing with the Prototypes. But maybe they wouldn't like Corvette showing up those cars either.

The Viper last competed against the C5R in 2000, its first year of competition, and it beat us. It did not enter again. Our competion then became the Prodrive Ferraris which beat our C5R in 2003, I believe. Prodrive then switched to Aston Martins in 2005. I have attended the race in 2005 and 2006, and Im going to take R n R from Iraq so I can attend this year. I have read the lineup from the official Le Mans Website, and there are four confirmed Aston Martins for the race.
Unfortunately I do not see the 3rd place GT2 French Owned C5R entered this year.
If Prodrive did indeed pull out, I'd like to know where you got this info.

Two Aston Martin teams will be competing against the C6R's in Le Mans, which is really the only race that matters.

Two Aston Martin teams will be competing against the C6R's in Le Mans, which is really the only race that matters.

If you never see them until Le Mans, how do you really know where you stand?

First day of testing at Sebring yesterday and not a single GT1 car ventured out and only 1 LMP1 car. Looks like GT1 and LMP1 will be pretty slim pickings this year in ALMS

If you never see them until Le Mans, how do you really know where you stand?

First day of testing at Sebring yesterday and not a single GT1 car ventured out and only 1 LMP1 car. Looks like GT1 and LMP1 will be pretty slim pickings this year in ALMS

GREAT NEWS!!!! I was concerned that after last year's restrictions, the C6R entries would not be out on the racing circuits. With no Aston Martin or Saleen factory supported entries, perhaps 2007 will be the year of C6R "demonstration drives". :w

Gburg

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom