Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1992 Hardtop only Convertible...

Haven’t heard of that one before.

I’d give the owner the benefit of the doubt till he can produce hard evidence of such an option. I’m interested to see if anyone knows about this type of combo.

Without GM paperwork, COPO documentation designating a soft-top delete, it would be a vert missing it’s soft-top in my humble opinion.

B17Crew
:w

I'd bet that it's just a convertible with the optional removable hard top (RPO CC2). I wouldn't consider that "rare". Strange that the guy didn't provide the soft top's color, though. I'd bet it's black, too.

No where in the ad does he say the soft top was removed or didn't come with the car. He says that the car is a rare "hard top convertible" In 1992 there were 915 convertibles (out of 5,875) that came with RPO CC2, the auxiliary hardtop.

Pretty sure the RPO CC2 auxiliary hardtop was a supplement to the factory installed soft-top.

Any NCRS judges out there that can chime in? This is one I want to know the answer to!

B17Crew

No where in the ad does he say the soft top was removed or didn't come with the car. He says that the car is a rare "hard top convertible" In 1992 there were 915 convertibles (out of 5,875) that came with RPO CC2, the auxiliary hardtop.

When he answers an email at the bottom of the listing, he talks about the car being produced without the soft top.

I have my doubts about that.

Quote from lt4man:

"When he answers an email at the bottom of the listing, he talks about the car being produced without the soft top.

I have my doubts about that."

I didn't scroll down far enough. But I agree with you, I don't think it came from the factory that way. I can't find any information in the options list regarding a credit for a soft top delete, and I don't think anyone would just give one back to GM.

Maybe he had the selling dealer remove the soft top and frame. I really don't think there would have been an easy way to have the factory not install the convertible top.

He also shows:
-Traction Control (Sport Mode, Touring Mode, Performance Mode)
The car has the FX3 console switch (the Touring, Sport, Performance modes) but the front shocks that you can see in the engine pics are not FX3 shocks. There are no actuators in the pic and they don't appear to have the gears on the top of the shock rod.

With the hardtop on the car and the soft top folded down, there is a lot less room in the rear storage area so maybe the original owner (and he says he does not know the original owner in the email replies) wanted a way to increase storage space. But without the 'vert top, you would not want to get caught driving without the hardtop if it started to rain

The hardtops were not installed at the factory. When a car was ordered with RPO CC2, the car was completed and sent to American Sunroof Company a couple miles down the street from the BG plant. The tops were installed there and the workers aligned the door glass to fit properly for both the hardtop and softtop. Then the car was returned to the plant for eventual shipping.

THe seller mentions that 6 injectors were replaced. A good shop would have replaced all 8 as a set. If the car sat for a log time, there could hve been some injectors clogged up if the gas went bad, but the fuel filter should have been replaced at the same time. Doing a "fuel system flush" sounds a bit strange.

But 52K miles for a 92 is not a bad car to think about. When I solld my 92 vert last year (it had the same options including the hardop) with 41K miles on it, I got 17K for it. I had AFS chrome ZR-1 style wheels, a B&B exhaust, and it was Polo Green with tan interior.

Anyone notice the VIN production number?? 532 is a very early 92!

Well I guess I learned something new today. :confused

I'd bet that it's just a convertible with the optional removable hard top (RPO CC2). I wouldn't consider that "rare". ...

I agree. Blackbook says 5875 convertibles were produced; top colors equal exactly 5875. The car in question had a folding top at one time.

:)

I agree. Blackbook says 5875 convertibles were produced; top colors equal exactly 5875. The car in question had a folding top at one time.

:)

That's what i was looking for. I checked the info in the model center here at CAC, and the top color count doesn't add up properly (not even close).

Thanks for the info!!

Hmmm...

Looks like a car that's had a lot of whatever maintenance it DID get, done on the cheap.

Still, shouldn't be that big a project to "bring it back."

Correct top and frame can be had readily enough.

Actuators and shocks are still available, albeit expensive.

I've fallen for that gig about the 1100 dollars in recent repairs making it ready to travel anywhere. Not a guarantee.

Hmmm...

Looks like a car that's had a lot of whatever maintenance it DID get, done on the cheap.

Still, shouldn't be that big a project to "bring it back."

Correct top and frame can be had readily enough.

Actuators and shocks are still available, albeit expensive.

I've fallen for that gig about the 1100 dollars in recent repairs making it ready to travel anywhere. Not a guarantee.

Considering the fact that a hard top goes for about $2K the price isn't too bad.

Pretty sure the RPO CC2 auxiliary hardtop was a supplement to the factory installed soft-top.

Any NCRS judges out there that can chime in? This is one I want to know the answer to!

B17Crew

While I am not an NCRS Judge, I will say that is does not meet "trypical Factory Production" standards for Bloomington Gold Judging/ Certification and would reflect that, if judged.

Nowhere, have I ever seen a credit offered for not chosing to have a soft top. Further proof, is production as mentioned, matches colors, to the number of tops delivered.

Also if interest, is the FX3 switch without the shocks being correct.

Proceed with caution.

While I am not an NCRS Judge, I will say that is does not meet "trypical Factory Production" standards for Bloomington Gold Judging/ Certification and would reflect that, if judged.

Nowhere, have I ever seen a credit offered for not chosing to have a soft top. Further proof, is production as mentioned, matches colors, to the number of tops delivered.

Also if interest, is the FX3 switch without the shocks being correct.

Proceed with caution.

Sound advice, I have yet to come across a C4 soft-top delete. There would have to be some convincing documentation for me to be a believer.

B17Crew

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom