Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Getting another removable panel (targa)

Stallion

Corvette
1996 CE LT4
Here's the plan: Long story short, I'm going to "engineer" my '96 to start carrying surfboards on herself, so the best way (I think) is to buy a used (in no great condition) solid roof panel (targa top, if you may) and just to bolt on/through a pair of roof racks.

Here's my question. As I search on ebay motors for a used roof panel to buy, I see that they are grouped. What years were these targa tops all interchangeable? Is it 88 - 96 Corvettes all have to same design top? In other words, what can I buy?

Thanks

The top sizes are all the same, it's the front mounting brackets that differ:

84 - Early 86
late 86 - 87
88 - 96.

You might also want to try some of the Corvette salvage yards like Vette2Vette

The top sizes are all the same, it's the front mounting brackets that differ:

84 - Early 86
late 86 - 87
88 - 96.

You might also want to try some of the Corvette salvage yards like Vette2Vette

Thanks. Do you know of any Corvette salvage yards in Jersey by any chance?

Thanks. Do you know of any Corvette salvage yards in Jersey by any chance?

Unfortunately, no. The closest place I know of is Contemporary Corvette in Bristol PA. (215) 788-8605. But I've heard nothing but good reports about Vette2Vette.

BTW, where in NJ are you?

I'm in the Navy right now, but I was born and raised in Middlesex. What about you?

In my old '81, I devised a system using soft racks which tied inside the car to haul my 9'6" Infinity longboard around. I applied silicone sealant to the webbing to stop water from leaching through the webbing into the car. On my '89, I fold down the front passenger seat, put the board in a board sock and open the hatch and stick it in and over the seat. Of course, the end protrudes outside the hatch a bit , and I use one of the those devices which holds the hatch open slightly for ventilation (slightly modified). works great! I probably will use a variant of the softracks approach for the roof, although I like your idea, too (I hadn't thought of it). I use a safety strap run inside the car to keep the board from sliding sideways, and, I will devise something that also attaches to the inside part of the softracks and anchors to the seat tracks to hold everything down should the roof try and rip off.

Good luck,

/s/ Chris Kennedy
Houston, Texas
Soon hope to be in San Diego, California :cool

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom