Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Hagarty came through!

alps66

Corvette
1966 milano maroon 427/390
Hello All!
As you may recall, I posted photos of a shop fire a while ago. I'm pleased to report that Hagarty came through with a handsome check with promises of more to follow as other issues surface. What a relief! I kept worrying that the car might be totaled or that they might give me a hard time. So far, my dealings with them have been a pleasure.
The car is now safe and sound with a body guy with 40 years of Corvette experience. In the process of getting the car to him, I became the Dolly Lama, building two dollies (with modifications to both of them). The first dolly got the body and frame out of the condemned shop and onto a drop-back. It had to be low to get under the car and has lots of 3” wheels to support the weight of the frame and body. It later had to be retrofitted with larger wheels to navigate the asphalt on the body shop lot (see photo below). The second is a body dolly (we’re in body off mode now) and was based on the Noland Adams design. The body now rests on that as it is being stripped. My body man suggested larger wheels for the Adams design, and I modified the plans to accommodate 8” wheels. However, once the body (a vert) was on the dolly, the rear sagged from lack of support causing uneven gaps along the doors (may not be an issue with a coupe). To remedy that, I built an auxiliary dolly that I attached to the tail end today (not shown in photos). It provides support under the rear body mounts and looks like it’ll work. There was also an issue with the Adams dolly interfering slightly with the radiator mounts at the front end. We’ll have to cut into the dolly slightly to provide recesses for the mounts. Meant to take pics of the mod today, but forgot the camera.

In the near future, the questions will start flying. Will need info on getting the convertible frame rebuilt, the instrument cluster rebuilt (Jason Oliver?), and a whole slew of other things, but we’re not there yet.

Regards to all! :w
Jeff

body dolly
4idkfgg.jpg

Body on dolly. Note lack of rear support.
2j5gfab.jpg

Door gap
43gnx5j.jpg

Blocking at front body mount to raise radiator support above dolly. Need to modify dolly.
42l9m3t.jpg

First dolly used to move body and frame from condemned shop. Note the dangling small wheels.
4c3d6xd.jpg

Jeff,

Congratulations on the issue being resolved. I'm very happy to see it is working out for you the way you wished.

Stepinwolf

WOW

I am really sorry for you and your car, Its just not what I had pictured in my head with the pictures you had posted before.

I am glad Hagerty will make you whole on the car. I am with Condon Skelly (agreed value coverage) since i was kid and never had a claim with them but if I was to ever switch I would definately go with hagerty

You know ever cloud has a silver lining. I have learned this over and over again, I just cant tell you what the silver lining to you is yet

Best of luck towards a speedy recovery

WOW

You know every cloud has a silver lining. I have learned this over and over again, I just cant tell you what the silver lining to you is yet

Larry,
That's an easy one, now that the 'totaled' issue is behind me. I'm getting a paint job, a new top, carpet, rebuilt instruments and a bunch of other things out of this. :chuckle Granted, I'd rather it not have come about this way, but these items are mandatory to make the car right. And, after all, that's what insurance is for. With that said, I'd be perfectly happy to never have to make a claim again!

Also found out today that I'll need a new hood surround. From everything I've read, Sermersheim and Corvette Image manufacture the best (perhaps the only?) reproduction fiberglass panels. My shop deals with Corvette America and his finished work is meticulous. Anyone know where CA gets their fiberglass? Any thoughts or experience with quality? I'm shooting for NCRS accuracy.
Thanks!
Jeff

Jeff,

Congratulations on the issue being resolved. I'm very happy to see it is working out for you the way you wished.

Stepinwolf

Yeah....I'll second that. Make sure you keep taking as many pic's as you can to document the Rebirth Of Your Corvette Phoenix.

Some day off in the future you'll be able to look back at the photos and get a warm fuzzy feeling.

:beer

Jeff,

As shocking as those photos are, it's great news to hear that the insurance company is standing by you.

More than anything, I'm impressed with your state of mind in all of this.

Here's to your successful completion of the Phoenix Project.

Jeff,

More than anything, I'm impressed with your state of mind in all of this.

Here's to your successful completion of the Phoenix Project.
Bob,
Thanks for the encouragement. Life is full of setbacks or opportunities, depending on your perspective. This just happens to be an inconvenient opportunity. ;) The Phoenix will rise again!
Jeff

Hello Jeff
I am very glad for you. I look forward to seeing pics and hearing more of your car as things progress
take care
Tom

You want Jim Sermersheim's fiberglass. :)

John,
From everything that I've read, that's kinda what I figured. I'll talk with my body guy and see what we can do. I certainly don't want to tell him how to run his business, but at the same time, I want what's best for the car. Any ideas on who makes the glass for Corvette America, or do they manufacture their own?
Much thanks (as always) for your sage advice!;worship
Jeff

I'm glad that you are being treated right by your insurance adjuster. It makes me feel even better about putting my whole junk yard on Hagerty.

Keep the pictures coming.

Tom

John,
From everything that I've read, that's kinda what I figured. I'll talk with my body guy and see what we can do. I certainly don't want to tell him how to run his business, but at the same time, I want what's best for the car. Any ideas on who makes the glass for Corvette America, or do they manufacture their own?
Much thanks (as always) for your sage advice!;worship
Jeff

I have no idea who makes CA's fiberglass. :)

Jeff,
I am glad that everything has worked out with the insurance. I look forward to all your future updates on the progress of this beautiful car.

Take care,
Brian

I have no idea who makes CA's fiberglass. :)

John,
I spoke with Barry Hackert (the body guy) today and he says that Sermersheim supplies Corvette America. I can't verify whether he's right or wrong, but he has 40 years of Corvette experience under his belt and does beautiful work, so I'm not about to argue. When I visited with him yesterday, I offered to do any grunt work that he didn't want to do in the shop. Today, he loaded up the back of my pickup with all kinds of parts that need to be stripped and refinished, which are now depressingly spread all over the floor of my garage. Some day I'll learn to keep my mouth shut!:W Labor of love, right??? Yup, labor of love. The Phoenix will rise again!
Jeff

Hey Jeff, of course we recall. Jeez. A nightmare.
We're Glad it's all coming together.
Now that that's all worked out let's "GIT 'R DONE!" .
It'll be better than ever .
Frank.

Hey Jeff, of course we recall. Jeez. A nightmare.
We're Glad it's all coming together.
Now that that's all worked out let's "GIT 'R DONE!" .
It'll be better than ever .
Frank.

Frank,
Thanks for your support and encouragement. In the near future, I'll be posting some pics of the progress (need to download them from the camera). So far, I'm very pleased. The car is going to be far more restored than I had originally planned prior to the fire. The body guy (Barry Hackert) is a fanatic for perfection, and that's a good thing. (And speaking of Barry, where's Barry K? Haven't heard from him for a while...)
The body is now off of the car and the body shop is making some serious progress. Most of the body has been sanded and the passenger door skin has been replaced (he found an old press molded skin in his loft; repops, even Sermersheim's, are hand layed). We also need to replace the hood surround and rear quarter panels as well.
The frame is going to be blasted (since we needed to lift the body to replace the water damaged/rusted gas line anyway...). I've been debating whether to go with POR 15 or powdercoat. Based on posts on this and other forums, it seems as though powdercoat is the way to go, even considering my NCRS goals. Even if I lose a few points, so what... I'm already resigned to losing points on the dual master brake cylinder, but safety and practicality trump NCRS points. I'll also be going BC/CC. It's just more practical.
In the meantime, I have a garagefull of bits and pieces of '66 Vette that I offered to refurbish for the shop to extend the available funds. Hackert has been most cooperative in letting me play an active role in the restoration. I'm chipping away slowly but surely.
Even though the engine (which had been blueprinted and balanced prior to the fire) was in a 'quiet' part of the shop during the fire, we had the machinist go over it again to check for water damage. He found some issues and is tearing things down again to make things right.
In the grand scheme of things, life is good. ;) Throw some (insurance co) money at the material stuff, and the boo-boos go away. I'm healthy. I have a great family, and my loving wife has given me the go-ahead to buy a C5 Z to hold me over until the Phoenix is on the road again. Once I find a sweet deal I'll be:lou In the meantime, I bought a used Miata for her to knock around in. If da' Moma's happy, I'm happy! (It's actually a lot of fun to throw around the twisties.)
Regards,
Jeff

Oh heck, if the insurance co is payin' for it go with the stainless frame.
http://www.rowleycorvette.com/frames-new.html
Over kill I know but I love it :D
Frank.

Frank,
I'm with you! The General, at the very least, should have chrome plated the valve covers on the BBs! Orange is pretty, but... And overspray? The hourly guys obviously weren't thinking of collectors 40 years down the pike! Shame on them for just trying to make a living...:rotfl
Cheers!
Jeff

Al, I remember reading the first report of the incident, what a shock. Glad to see things are going in a good direction and the results will be spectactular. Careful on the cleaning of the parts...googles, gloves and mask. :beer Dennis

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom