Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

How to Replace Rear Diff Side Yoke Axle Seals

R

redvet

I’m asking this question about my '82 (but it would also apply to an ’80 or ’81): Does anyone know if it's possible to replace the rear diff side yoke axle seals with the batwing and diff still mounted in the car? Mine are leaking gear oil, and seem to be getting worse. The oil drips onto the exhaust system, and it smells pretty bad. It looks like you might be able to remove and install the seals by just removing the half shafts, which would allow you to pull the yokes out of the diff, but I don’t know for sure. In any case, do you have to actually get inside the diff to do this job, or will the yokes just pull out once you remove the half shafts? In other words, do you have to separate the carrier from the batwing?

the side yokes must be removed after the diff is opened up and the clips that hold them in place are removed.

I'll be doing this also this winter, but I'm going to do the front seal while I'm at it..I've looked at a service manual and haven't noticed the procedure for the sides. Is the seals for the side seperate seals or are they built into the bearing ?

I'll be doing this also this winter, but I'm going to do the front seal while I'm at it..I've looked at a service manual and haven't noticed the procedure for the sides. Is the seals for the side seperate seals or are they built into the bearing ?

The side yoke seals are separate from the yoke bearings, but you have to tear down the diff to get the yokes out before you can replace the seals.

:beer

The side yoke seals are separate from the yoke bearings, but you have to tear down the diff to get the yokes out before you can replace the seals.

Yes, I understand about getting inside to remove the C-clip, but the reason I asked about the seal being with the bearing is because I have called a few parts stores for seals and they can't find a seperate seal for the side, one had told me the seal was built in the bearing.;shrug Ant help on a part # for the sside seals ?

the side yokes must be removed after the diff is opened up and the clips that hold them in place are removed.

And thats a real bummer... There is an alternative that makes the yokes relatively easy to get to but you have to ask yourself how often you need in there to begin with. Easy Yoke removal is one of the minor benefits to this setup ->
http://www.corvettefaq.com/c3/6link/index.html

Yes, I understand about getting inside to remove the C-clip, but the reason I asked about the seal being with the bearing is because I have called a few parts stores for seals and they can't find a seperate seal for the side, one had told me the seal was built in the bearing.;shrug Ant help on a part # for the sside seals ?

The parts store guy is clueless - if he has a Chicago Rawhide or National Seal book, he'll find them listed if he takes the trouble to look them up. Failing that, Zip has them (their #SU-499). '80-'82 outer yoke seals are different than the seals for the iron '63-'79 diffs; make sure you don't get the wrong ones.

What lubricate is used on the side yoke bearings?

I am replacing the side yoke seals. My question is which lubricate is used for the side yoke bearings; axle grease or 90W oil thats used in the rear end?

Use the GM positraction oil and the additive.

I am replacing the side yoke seals. My question is which lubricate is used for the side yoke bearings; axle grease or 90W oil thats used in the rear end?

rear body mount installation

'69, has anyone replaced the rear body mounts to frame?:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom