Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

looking to buy a second vette 91-96?

nelson84

Corvette
84 Z51 two tone bronze coupe 85 black on black
I am looking at either getting a 91 tpi 250hp, will the six speed give me a lot more power, than the auto?

I am also looking at the 92-96 Lt-1, I know about the opti-spark thing, is it as bad as they say?

I have a superram in my basement that would work well on the 91.

modifying the 92-96 sounds like a pain with not much results. I would have to get a 6 speed if I got a 92-96 for the axle ratio, I hear the lt-1 with auto is slow?

;shrug :confused

There are better Opti's out there now than the original OEM one, coming to mind first is the one built by MSD. Mine is basically a stock 92 LT1 auto and I ran 9.0x's at Huntsville Dragway (1/8th mile) without playing with rear tire pressure and taking off slightly soft, if I'd pushed off of the line harder I could have gone into the mid 8.80's probably...so what do you consider slow? If you want to modify it, you could start with upgrading it to an LT4...or just look for an LT4 vette to buy?

They say buy the newest you can afford. I have heard nothing but good things out of the 96 with the LT4.

There are better Opti's out there now than the original OEM one, coming to mind first is the one built by MSD. Mine is basically a stock 92 LT1 auto and I ran 9.0x's at Huntsville Dragway (1/8th mile) without playing with rear tire pressure and taking off slightly soft, if I'd pushed off of the line harder I could have gone into the mid 8.80's probably...so what do you consider slow? If you want to modify it, you could start with upgrading it to an LT4...or just look for an LT4 vette to buy?

What would 9.00 in the 1/8 mile be in the 1/4 mile?

about 13? 13.5?

Hey nelson84,

PM gmjunkie and see if he still has his Torch Red 96 LT1 for sale. Very nice, beautiful car with ~ 52k miles!!!

:w

about 13? 13.5?

Not that fast, I don't think. Maybe low 14's? I am out of town, or I could get out some time slips to look. I have not seen very many C4's run below 14 stock (except the LT4). Modified is a different thing altogether.

about 13? 13.5?

I would think a little higher, somewhere around a 13.7-.9? I've never run a 1/4 mile so I don't have numbers for myself, when I looked in a time slip section of a different car club that I'm in, the guy's who turn the same or close to the same 1/8th mile times as me are running high 13's.

modifying the 92-96 sounds like a pain with not much results. I would have to get a 6 speed if I got a 92-96 for the axle ratio, I hear the lt-1 with auto is slow?

I believe that slow is a relative term. No matter what you have or do to your car there will be some car out there that is faster than yours. Modding the LT1 isn't too bad.I just added 1.6 roller rockers and it wasn't too bad and I can feel a difference (no dyno around here to run it on). Many LT4 components can be put on the LT1 to wake it up some more.

I am looking at either getting a 91 tpi 250hp, will the six speed give me a lot more power, than the auto?

The 6-speed would be a lot more fun to drive, especially if you drive in the mountains. The automatic is much easier in the city and/or traffic. Plus, it's easier to beat people off the line to the next intersection. ;)

The 91 L98 will probably feel more powerful off the line because it has more torque at a lower RPM. But the LT1 will catch it near the top end.

If I were going to mod the engine for more power, I would choose the 91 L98 as it is a popular engine with plenty of aftermarket support. It has also been around for a while so making it produce more power is a well known formula.

The 91 L98 will probably feel more powerful off the line because it has more torque at a lower RPM. But the LT1 will catch it near the top end.

If I were going to mod the engine for more power, I would choose the 91 L98 as it is a popular engine with plenty of aftermarket support. It has also been around for a while so making it produce more power is a well known formula.

I agree. I'd personally go with the 91 because it has an L98. If you do however and plan to take it to the track often, then I'd go with the LT1. If you like that initial seat off the pants acceleration, then go with the L98. If you like low end torque, go with the L98. I like low end torque, that's why I went with a 91.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom