Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

79 Delco 8-Track Radio

Vette79

Corvette
1979 L-48 Black Coupe
After searching this forum and various web sites, I can not seem to find the bracket and/or support structure that the original Delco 8-track radio sits in behind the bezel on a 79. Does anyone have some pics of the part I am looking for and can anyone tell me positively where to find this part? When I bought the Vette back in November of last year this was the only original piece of the vehicle that was missing. I now have the missing link but unable to install...;help

Jeff

Both my 71' and 78' had this link holding the radio to the bracket. I made this bracket as the original one rusted away. No one is reproducing these that I'm aware of. You'll have to find a used one.
Here's the 78'. Note that the bracket also holds the console side covers. Yours probably looks like this one.
Radiobracket.jpg

71' with correct mounting bracket.

Radiobkt.jpg

I also made one for my 79 out of 1/8" by 3/4" aluminum stock. I THINK the holes were 2 3/8" apart. Do you also need that part on the radio that the strut attaches to? I MAY have one of those. I'll have to look, tho. Mike

Great pics! Very helpful. Mike, are you sure about the distance between the holes? I have the part on the radio that the strut attaches to. Hey guy's, what about the other side? Any struts or fabrication? Anything else I need to be concerned with during install or afterwrds like noise supression etc.? Thanks for the feedback.

Great pics! Very helpful. Mike, are you sure about the distance between the holes? I have the part on the radio that the strut attaches to. Hey guy's, what about the other side? Any struts or fabrication? Anything else I need to be concerned with during install or afterwrds like noise supression etc.? Thanks for the feedback.

There is nothing on the other side of the radio. Only the one strut holds it up. Install the radio into the center console and tighten the nuts that hold it on. Then if you need to make your own strut, measure what you need. It's simple enough.

There is nothing on the other side of the radio. Only the one strut holds it up. Install the radio into the center console and tighten the nuts that hold it on. Then if you need to make your own strut, measure what you need. It's simple enough.

Does the center bezel need to be removed in order to install the radio or can I fit it from behind the bezel on the passenger side if I remove the floor bracket that the fabricated strut would attach to? The fabrication of the strut is easy enough but it looks like a pretty tight fit. Thanks, Duke.

Ya pretty much gotta remove the center bezel to get the radio out. At least I did and the service manual also calls for it to be removed. Don't think there's enough room to maneuver it in otherwise. As for the support strut, like Duke says, measure it when you get that far, but figure on about 2 5/8" between the holes as that's what seems to be sticking in my brain, now. Not the 2 3/8" I thought yesterday. Mike

Ya pretty much gotta remove the center bezel to get the radio out. At least I did and the service manual also calls for it to be removed. Don't think there's enough room to maneuver it in otherwise. As for the support strut, like Duke says, measure it when you get that far, but figure on about 2 5/8" between the holes as that's what seems to be sticking in my brain, now. Not the 2 3/8" I thought yesterday. Mike

OK Mike. I'll give it a try later this week again. It looks like 4 screws on the front outside and 2 at the bottom behind the bezel. Just the bezel comes off and not the gauge cluster right? Maybe if I am going this far I should purchase a new bezel...:L

The gauges come out with the bezel. There is a big connector that unplugs and also a light at the top that unplugs. It helps with removal to unbolt the console(don't remove it) so it moves a little for some wiggle room to get the bezel out. It's a tight fit and old plastic is pretty brittle. Mike

The gauges come out with the bezel. There is a big connector that unplugs and also a light at the top that unplugs. It helps with removal to unbolt the console(don't remove it) so it moves a little for some wiggle room to get the bezel out. It's a tight fit and old plastic is pretty brittle. Mike

Thanks for the help guy's. Delco is installed and functions perfectly. Now to find some 8-track tapes to listen to...LOL. ;LOL

Now to find some 8-track tapes to listen to...LOL. ;LOL
Needed to replace an aftermarket radio in my white 79. Considered going with the 8-track or even a straight AM/FM but decided to go AM/FM casette. Got a lot of casette tapes. Couldn't find any 8 tracks in either mine or my dad's box of old tunes! Used to have a bunch of em, must have tossed em years ago. Vette originally had a factory CB but didn't even consider getting one of those. Never listen to the radio anyway. Just wanted a stock look. Mike

Is it normal for their to be a noise through the speakers/radio as the antenna goes up or down?

Is it normal for their to be a noise through the speakers/radio as the antenna goes up or down?

It's normal in my 78. By normal, I mean it always makes noise while the antenna is going up or down. I don't know if there is a filter missing or anything like that.

It's normal in my 78. By normal, I mean it always makes noise while the antenna is going up or down. I don't know if there is a filter missing or anything like that.

I agree, my 78' makes noise both ways as well.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom