Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

clutch woes

G Winter

Corvette
1990 red convert 6 sp
The clutch on my 90 slips. The thing that is confusing me is that it is inconsistent. At times I can hammer it through 1st and 2nd with no perceptible slippage and some slight slippage in the mid range of 3rd . At times it will slip with the slightest acceleration. My experience with clutches has always been that they either slip or take hold , nothing inconsitent like this.:confused
Could this be caused by a master cyl or slave cyl problem? Or maybe even a ball stud having come lose. Would it be possible that the fluid is contaminated with water, heat seems to be a factor.;shrug
I would like some opinions on this before I order a $1000 worth of clutch and flywheel.

Thank you .

Glenn
:w

The clutch on my 90 slips. The thing that is confusing me is that it is inconsistent. At times I can hammer it through 1st and 2nd with no perceptible slippage and some slight slippage in the mid range of 3rd . At times it will slip with the slightest acceleration. My experience with clutches has always been that they either slip or take hold , nothing inconsitent like this.:confused
Could this be caused by a master cyl or slave cyl problem? Or maybe even a ball stud having come lose. Would it be possible that the fluid is contaminated with water, heat seems to be a factor.;shrug
I would like some opinions on this before I order a $1000 worth of clutch and flywheel.

Thank you .

Glenn
I've never had one act like that either Glenn,do you suppose that a little oil may be getting on it someway???? I don't think that the fluid would do this,but maybe the slave cylinder is sometimes hanging up and not letting it completely engage!;shrug I'd do some checking there are shops that can now turn a Duel-Mass flywheel!!:upthumbs

Last spring I installed a new intake gasket because the valley gasket was leaking just a little. Not much just enough to make a small mess.The oil stays on the full mark now.
If the master cyl was dirty inside,bad fluid, do you think it might slow the fluid return ? My idea with the water was steam. The slave is in an awful hot place.
The dual mass flywheel will be replaced if I replace the clutch. I did some research on it and they do wear , springs get weak etc. With the amount of work installing a clutch is I don't want to take any chances. I think I will try flushing the fluid befor I order parts. Who knows if it has ever been done, I didn't get to it last summer.

thanks for the reply.

Glenn

Last spring I installed a new intake gasket because the valley gasket was leaking just a little. Not much just enough to make a small mess.
If the master cyl was dirty inside,bad fluid, do you think it might slow the fluid return ? My idea with the water was steam. The slave is in an awful hot place.
The dual mass flywheel will be replaced if I replace the clutch. I did some research on it and they do wear , springs get weak etc. With the amount of work installing a clutch is I don't want to take any chances. I think I will try flushing the fluid befor I order parts. Who knows if it has ever been done, I didn't get to it last summer.

thanks for the reply.

Glenn
You know Glenn you may be on to something!!!!That thing has a Rubber hose going to the slave!!! It's possible for the Inside of the line to deteriorate and suck the inside Collapsed, and act like a one way valve!!! I've seen this allot on Brakes!!!I replaced several Rubber brake lines because they collapsed in side and would not let the calipers release and make the brakes drag!!I believe it is possible for this to happen here!!! Try bleeding the clutch and catch the fluid in a clean container to see if there is any particles of rubber in it!!
If so Change the rubber hose and Flush the system!!:upthumbs

Thanks, that gives me something to work on. I wouldn't have thought about catching the fluid in a clean container. I will do that Monday after work. Tomorrow night and Sat. are full.
I have the car up on stands right now. I sent the wheels out to be straightened and refinished. I have the two right side that were bent slightly.
$50 each to staighten them. $60 each to refinish. He takes a .002 to .006 cut on a big engine lathe to clean them up. One yr warrenty on the finish. I didn't think that was to bad a price. Best part , only about 30 miles away. I took before pictures and will take after and post them. This guy takes aluminum wheels with chunks broken out of the bead and welds them up. From the outside you would never know they were repaired.

Glenn

Thanks, that gives me something to work on. I wouldn't have thought about catching the fluid in a clean container. I will do that Monday after work. Tomorrow night and Sat. are full.
I have the car up on stands right now. I sent the wheels out to be straightened and refinished. I have the two right side that were bent slightly.
$50 each to staighten them. $60 each to refinish. He takes a .002 to .006 cut on a big engine lathe to clean them up. One yr warrenty on the finish. I didn't think that was to bad a price. Best part , only about 30 miles away. I took before pictures and will take after and post them. This guy takes aluminum wheels with chunks broken out of the bead and welds them up. From the outside you would never know they were repaired.

Glenn

Glenn, please pardon the jack here, but I need my '90 wheels re-done also. Care to share your vendor's name/number?

Thanks,
Bruce

You didn't hijack, I brought it up.:) I picked up the wheels yesterday and I am not 100% satified. They look much better than they did but he machined the face on a lathe. Problem is he couldn't use a power feed because they are not flat, so the machine lines are not even. If I had done it myself I would have stripped and sanded in a lathe. Having done machine work for the last 17 yrs I see these things and am quite fussy about it. Most people may not have noticed. From standing or back about 4 ft you don't notice and the finish was well done.
He charged me $365 to straighen two wheels and refinish all four. I would have refinished myself but I had two that were bent. I will run them for a couple yrs and maybe strip and polish them. Pm your email and I will send you a before and after picture, with the shop name and phone number. You will have to judge from the pictures what you want to do. I won't recommend the shop but if you just have them stripped and not machined the wheels should look great.
If your wheels are not damaged, I would go to a good body shop and see what they say they can do with them.
The real problem is that I didn't specifie not to machine the wheels face, so it is what it is.

Glenn

I finally got back to my clutch. I opened up the master cyl. and found some pretty ugly looking fluid. I removed the fluid, cleaned the reservoir,and refilled.
I then had my wife hold the clutch pedal down while I opened the bleeder. I did this till I had changed considerable fluid.
The clutch now has a softer feel but does not feel mushy like it has air in it. The clutch engages about 1/3 of the way off the floor. Before it didn't engage till 3/4 of the way up,and had a harder feel to it.The tranmission goes into gear and shifts with no grinding and actually seems smoother than before. I took it out for a test drive and detected no slipage of the clutch at all.
What is the normal feel of the clutch. Not having driven any other 6 speeds I have nothing to compare it to. I am hoping I didn't get air in the system.

Glenn

What is the normal feel of the clutch. Not having driven any other 6 speeds I have nothing to compare it to. I am hoping I didn't get air in the system.

Glenn
Sounds like it is about right, Glenn!!:upthumbs

Could I be so lucky that I don't need to replace the clutch? I should know in a couple of weeks. ;shrug:D

Glenn

Glenn, if you've ever driven an Accord or Camry with a five-speed, that's about how your Vette clutch should feel, because it's hydraulic, as you WELL know.

That's how I convinced Buttercup to have a go at driving the Vette.

She remembers the mechanical clutch pedals from the sixties where your clutch pedal is near your left shoulder and your brake pedal is near the floor. Lot's of folks walked with a starboard list after too much of that kind of driving.

Sounds like you got her fixed, Glenn!

Would not hurt to do the bleed procedure again in a month. The master and slave cylinder do NOT like dirty fluid.

Also, if you can, go to GM and get their Hydraulic Clutch fluid. Works the best!

SAVE THE :w

The problem keeps returning,I am quite sure I need a new slave. I will be replacing all three components as soon as I can locate a replacement line.
I may have no other option then to have my ends put on a new hose. From what I see the 89 and 90 have a line specific only to them. Haven't found a place to purchase a complete line. I can get a wagner master and slave for a total of about $240. Anyone know if they are quality ? I can also get the master from GM for about $115 but they want $170 for the slave.

Glenn

The problem keeps returning,I am quite sure I need a new slave. I will be replacing all three components as soon as I can locate a replacement line.
I may have no other option then to have my ends put on a new hose. From what I see the 89 and 90 have a line specific only to them. Haven't found a place to purchase a complete line. I can get a wagner master and slave for a total of about $240. Anyone know if they are quality ? I can also get the master from GM for about $115 but they want $170 for the slave.

Glenn
There is no problem with Wagner!!!! But I would try the rubber line first!!!! Give me a call Glenn,maybe I can shed some light on it!!! Toll Free 877-677-2984 ext 1 :upthumbs

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom