Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C4 Headlites How to adjust?

greenstingray

Corvette
1985 z51 coupe, 1969 green convertible
What is the procedure to aim your headlites; Everything was take apart when I had the car painted. I know were the screws are but there has to be a procedure to adjust them correctly. Anybody have any experience with this? Thanks

There are commercially available aiming tools that attach to the lamps, you then adjust until the spirit level bubble is in the correct spot. You can also aim them by using a screen or wall correctly marked according to the specs in the FSM . I don't have a scanner and the instructions for setting up the screen are somewhat involved. If you are assembling a car that was a basket case you need a FSM anyway.

There are commercially available aiming tools that attach to the lamps, you then adjust until the spirit level bubble is in the correct spot. You can also aim them by using a screen or wall correctly marked according to the specs in the FSM . I don't have a scanner and the instructions for setting up the screen are somewhat involved. If you are assembling a car that was a basket case you need a FSM anyway.

Thank you; the car is an 85 it does not have levels like the newer cars. Anyway what is an FSM(Field Service Manual). I have the red book from gm its not in there. Are there any paces that have the equipment to adjust lites correctly?

The levels I referred to are on the lamp alignment tool, not the car. The FSM is the Factory Service Manual, sounds like you have one if I understand your "red book" statement. My 93 FSM has the alignment chart specs in it, if yours does not I'd call local repair shops and ask if they can aim the lights, a dealer should have a tool if all else fails.
Did you check the index at the back of the FSM under "Headlamp Aiming"?

rephrased (to avoid copyright) from the '94 vette FSM:

1) park vehicle 25 feet from wall or screen.
2) mark centerline on wall...FSM suggests putting a mark on the center of windshield and rear window and using these marks as a ''gunsight'' for wall centerline (i can think of several more accurate methods, but perhaps this is 'good enuf')
3) measure distance between headlight centers of vehicle and put vertical marks of headlight centerlines on wall equidistant from centerline of vehicle.
4) measure height of headlight centerlines on vehicle (i would use a carpenters level and steel tape to do this) and put horizontal headlight centerline marks on wall.
5) turn on LOW beam of headlamps.
6)adjust headlamps so that the LEFT EDGE (not the center) of the ''high intensity zone'' of the LOW beam is at the vertical centerline wall mark of respective headlight, plus or minus 4 inches.
7) adjust headlamps so TOP EDGE (not center) of low beam, high intensity ball is at the horizontal centerline wall mark, plus or minus 4''.

i (me, my personal method only, not recommended for anyone else) then wait for a night with heavy fog and drive down a straight, flat road to make final adjustment as you can see the beam of light itself, usually 3-4 stops to reset before i'm happy.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom