Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

installing true dual

smithjw

Corvette
1981 red
I could use some help from anyone here that has installed the true dual exhaust from Mid America Motorworks. The '81 vette has finally reached 26 years old and in New York that means, no more emissions checking at inspection time. So in celebration, I'm installing the true dual.

The box arrived today and along with the pipes come 6 pipe clamps and 2 rubber hangers. I understand where all the pipe clamps go but I do not know where the hangers go. I was guessing that the pipe on the passenger side of the car could use the 2 original hangers, and then maybe the drivers side could use the 2 new hangers, but how would they connect to the pipe and where would you attach them to under the car? Maybe my whole idea is wrong. If you've done this before, could you please comment on what you did to hang the system please? Thanks.

I installed that kit on my car 6 years ago. Those 2 hangers are used in the cross member area where the original rear Y pipe hanger was. I mounted mine on the back side of the crossmember using the existing holes. After I had the system bolted on,I took it to my friends muffler shop where he aligned and tightend the system. This past winter,I took both pipes off and had all the seams welded together eliminating all the clamps. It looks much nicer and I don't have to worry about leaks. To remove I just drop the whole pipe/muffler assy.(either RH or LH). I can take some pictures with my digital camera if it would help.

Thanks Dave. I started installing the driver's side and I see what you mean. The old hanger assembly must be removed and the the new hangers attach one to each pipe in that area. But what I don't think I understand is that you end up with only one hanger for each side of the system, where the original system had a hanger in that spot plus another hanger in front of the cat. Will it be sturdy enough to have just the one hanger for each side?

Update. I completed the job today. I guess the single hanger on each pipe is sufficient. Seems sturdy. Now I didn't measure the clearance between the pipe and the ground on the old system, but this new system seems pretty low. Right under where the hangers are it's only 4 inches to the ground. I think I could get it another inch higher if I modify the hangers a bit by drilling a new hole in it under the lowest hole that I am currently using. Anybody have oany comments on this? Does 4 inches seem a bit low? I would be afraid of going over speed bumps and some back roads.

Another update. Today I removed the hangers and drilled new holes in them under the lowest hole. That's about 1 inch lower. Put everything back together and now I would say that it looks about the same as the stock system in terms of ground clearance. I'm at about 5.25 inches now. Even though it's only one inch, it appears to be much higher than it was. I'm satisfied now, and it sounds real good too.

Jeff..... Dave has the right idea about getting it welded. Since I have full length headers on mine the std aftermarket kits were of no use. So I had to have a custom set of pipes bent and cut along with a pair of Flowmaster Delta 50's. The fit is superb, and even a little higher ground clearance than before. The welded set up will never come loose and also allowed the fabricator to line up the rear pipes that always seemed to have one side sag a little lower than the other back by the spare tire tray. The Flowmasters fit up in the old slots so perfectly the set up looks stock unless you look under the bumper and see the Delta 50's which are a little smaller and shaped differently than the stock mufflers.

.......... nut :D

smithjw,
I see you live in Modena. I live in New Paltz so if you still have any questions you can come over and take a look at my 81. The motor is out right now but the exhaust is all in place. You can email me at rcooper1@hvc.rr.com

Pictures, pictures, pictures, pictures.....need pictures.

Would sure like to see everyone's true dual setups....with and without headers. I am hoping to be able to do this to my '81 this year....if the emissions exzemption goes into affect.

Pictures....pictures....pictures...gotta see pictures.....

@Lanny,

If you still have to buy a true dual I would look if the Mid America one is mandrell bend or not. If not it really narrows in the corners reducing flow. This summer my vette gets a custom rvs true dual, I already have the Dynomax Ultra flows :)

Groeten Peter.

The Mid America stainless is mandrell bent, but I can't speak for the aluminized version.

Pictures....pictures....pictures...gotta see pictures.....

Had the Cat cut off and duals put on with a collector to equalize pressure (X-Pipe). This was a custom job and was totally fabricated from 2 3/4" stock. The X-pipe is a 4" piece (used for deisel trucks). I have experienced some really good performance increases from doing this. I think the majority was probably from taking the cat off. That thing must have weighed 75lbs, and rattled like mad!

The sound is the best thing though. It actually sounds like a Corvette now instead of a mini-van.

Here is some pictures to show you how it all works out.

Well I tired to attach pictures but it didnt work? Email me and I would be happy to email them to you. Or if someone can tell me how to make them show up here. either way.
c3cvte@yahoo.com

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom