Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Door Jamb Switch, How to Connect Wires?

fine69

Corvette
'69 Convertible Vette; '72 Z28 Camaro Rally Sport
The replacement door jamb courtsy lamp/warning switch arrived today.

Looking at the switch, there are three holes at the bottom of the post. I believe this is where the wires are supposed to connect. I just cant figure out how they're supposed to connect.
:confused

Do I just push them through, or do I need a special connector? It doesn't seem that the wires would stay in place by just pushing them through the holes.

Thank you.

Ralph

You should have received some brass terminals with the switch. They push into the slots of the switch and get the wire crimped on the other end.

You should have received some brass terminals with the switch. They push into the slots of the switch and get the wire crimped on the other end.

Thanks. That makes sense. Nope, the package did not include the brass terminals. I wonder if these can be found at a hardware or Radio Shack. This is exhausting.

door switch

Thanks. That makes sense. Nope, the package did not include the brass terminals. I wonder if these can be found at a hardware or Radio Shack. This is exhausting.

I had to get mine through ec*lers. looked around and couldn't find anything even close enough to work. Even tried flattening out some small copper wire and using it but it would work, then not, then work, etc. The real ones installed and worked perfect.
Spent more time trying to cut corners than I saved.

may also help

hi fine 69,there is a reliable source , for these in the buick riviera club , and i think they are the same. but only have phone number, it is Paul Meltzer 100 cottage street Norwood MA 02062, 781 769 7678 regards wayne.

hi fine 69,there is a reliable source , for these in the buick riviera club , and i think they are the same. but only have phone number, it is Paul Meltzer 100 cottage street Norwood MA 02062, 781 769 7678 regards wayne.

Wayne,

I purchased replacement for the door jambs, door ajar, and hood ajar switches.

Is this Buick Riviera Club a source for the replacement switch or the brass terminals?

Thank you.

Ralph

Hi Ralph

Wayne,

I purchased replacement for the door jambs, door ajar, and hood ajar switches.

Is this Buick Riviera Club a source for the replacement switch or the brass terminals?

Thank you.

Ralph
No im not sure if the switches are the same, but i think the small copper switch contacts are the same, Paul supplys the riviera club members with these, i have a 1965 GS, and i did mine 5 years ago and the vette is in storage and have not looked at the vettes switches, i think they where approx $15.00 a door, regards. wayne.

Is this what you are looking for?

Door ajar switch terminals

What happened to the original terminal contacts that were on the wires? They just pull out of the switch, you can reuse them with the new switch of you didn't cut them off the wire. Thery're held in by a little tang on the side of the contact.

Thanks KOPBET. Those are exactly what 'm looking for!

Well, I tried to salvage the existing terminals. They're pretty worn and keep slipping out of the holes.

I'll go ahead and order new ones.

How far into the holes should the terminals be inserted?

Thanks for any info!

Well, I tried to salvage the existing terminals. They're pretty worn and keep slipping out of the holes.

I'll go ahead and order new ones.

How far into the holes should the terminals be inserted?

Thanks for any info!

There should be a tang that will protrude from the side of the terminal. Sometimes that tang will get pushed back into and even with the side of the terminal. You can carefully slide a thin sharp item like a single edge razor blade into the front of the tang and pry it back up. When the terminal is pushed back into the switch the tang will catch on the inside and hold it in place.

There should be a tang that will protrude from the side of the terminal. Sometimes that tang will get pushed back into and even with the side of the terminal. You can carefully slide a thin sharp item like a single edge razor blade into the front of the tang and pry it back up. When the terminal is pushed back into the switch the tang will catch on the inside and hold it in place.

KOPBET,

So the terminal should be inserted far enough to actually go all the way through the holes?

Thanks again.

Ralph

KOPBET,

So the terminal should be inserted far enough to actually go all the way through the holes?

Thanks again.

Ralph

Push it all the way in until the tang engages to hold the terminal in. Yes, it will protrude just a little bit, just enough to contact the circular disc on the end of the spring.

Here's a picture of the switch and terminal. As others have said, push the terminal into the slot until the barb latches to the inside of the white plastic insulator. The terminal will stick out the other end slightly to make contact with the movable part. Pretty straight forward.

Doorswitch.jpg

Here's a picture of the switch and terminal. As others have said, push the terminal into the slot until the barb latches to the inside of the white plastic insulator. The terminal will stick out the other end slightly to make contact with the movable part. Pretty straight forward.

Doorswitch.jpg
Thanks for the info. This is a project I will be doing shortly. :beer

Thanks KOPBET and duke94. My terminal sare pretty shot. I'll install the wires with new terminals as you guys described.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom