Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Low RPM Miss

Gorgon

Corvette
None
My engine has developed an odd miss at idle. This has been going on for some time and I thought an application of Sea Foam had help out but it's not totally gone.

At idle the car has a random miss. When launching the car the engine stumbles when the RPM drops under 1000RPM. It almost seems like the clutch slips a but that's not the case. Once the car is launched and the RPMs are up the car is fine but this is getting worse.

What's been done:
Plugs and wires (AC Delco iridium tips)
Sea Foam application as well as a GM top engine clean
New air filter (K&N)
New fuel filter

There are no codes thrown and I'm looking for other options. I would think that the MAF or O2 sensors would throw codes. It seems like it might be a sensory since it normally happens in closed loop mode and not open loop mode. Any suggestions?

Leon

Well, I guess I'll be the first to throw out an idea. You would think with all the sensors on these cars that if anything was changing that a code would be thrown. You mentioned that plugs and wires have been changed. How long ago was this and did you have the miss and stumble at low RPM's before you changed them out? Also, how many miles are on your 99 FRC?
I have known a few cars to miss at low RPM because of a cracked Spark Plug. All it takes is a small hair line crack on the porcelain and you can have a miss at low RPM. Eventually the porcelain will crack even worse and if you drive a standard you won’t be able to shift into 6th because the car will shake so badly. This is also something that does not always throw a code right away. This may not be your case at all, but just an idea to play with. If you have a chance to pull the plugs you might want to look at them. Then again, wait for some other responses.

This has been present for some time but just not this bad. The car has 122k miles on it and the plugs were done some time ago. The plug change was completed around 100k miles and did not affect this at all.

Leon

Start with the basics first if there are no codes. External vaccuum leaks should be checked, hoses, pcv valve, etc. Make sure the plug wires are clipped on tight to both the spark plug and ignition coils. Look for any burning, tears, or carbon tracks. Pulling the plugs and looking at them for any differences in burning patterns, and cracks, would be a good idea. If one plug looks different, then you know which cylinder is affected.

Did you have this miss before you changed your plug wires? Check your plug wires because it sounds like you may have mixed 2 of them up. Just my humble opinion.

What's been done:
Plugs and wires (AC Delco iridium tips)
Sea Foam application as well as a GM top engine clean
New air filter (K&N)
New fuel filter

I'm reaching here but when you added the K&N filter did you check if there was an excessive amount of oil on it? To much oil on these type of filters could be sucked onto MAF or the IAT sensor and that could effect the engine performance without throwing any codes. I learned that lesson long time ago on my Jeep. now whenever I recharge any K&N filter or even when buying new one I dry it by ruining a shop vac over it. That does not degrade the filter but you would be surprised how much oil they can hold. There are several different types of aerosol MAF cleaners on the market, don't remember which one I used but they all should be good. Hope this might help you, good luck.
Zig.

I'm reaching here but when you added the K&N filter did you check if there was an excessive amount of oil on it? To much oil on these type of filters could be sucked onto MAF or the IAT sensor and that could effect the engine performance without throwing any codes. I learned that lesson long time ago on my Jeep. now whenever I recharge any K&N filter or even when buying new one I dry it by ruining a shop vac over it. That does not degrade the filter but you would be surprised how much oil they can hold. There are several different types of aerosol MAF cleaners on the market, don't remember which one I used but they all should be good. Hope this might help you, good luck.
Zig.

I will try to clean the MAF but the filter I just put on was a brand new filter. I had cleaned and oiled the old one before but I honestly can't remember if the problem was there before I cleaned the filter last time.

The problem was there before and after the plug change and, in fact, there was absolutely no change in this issue when the new plugs were installed. I had hoped that would have fixed the issue. This was part of the reason I was doing the plugs to begin with.

Leon

I will try to clean the MAF but the filter I just put on was a brand new filter. I had cleaned and oiled the old one before but I honestly can't remember if the problem was there before I cleaned the filter last time.

The problem was there before and after the plug change and, in fact, there was absolutely no change in this issue when the new plugs were installed. I had hoped that would have fixed the issue. This was part of the reason I was doing the plugs to begin with.

Leon

My bet is you have a coil going bad...

Good luck with your fix

Peace
Chip

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom