Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

ZF-6 speed swap. Is it really that hard?

tntcorvette

Well since nobody wants to give me what my car is worth (listed in c4 for sale section) and im tired of blowing up 700R4 (destroyed my 2nd one) im looking at installing a 6 speed. In particular a ZF 6 speed.

I have no knowledge of how manual gear box hydraulics and such work. If I could find somebody that I *TRUST* to do the sway i'de gladly pay them but my past experiences tell me that not gonna happen.

I can put in the 6 speed and keep the d36 with the 3.07 gears for now (totally wrong combo)....really wish the Keisler 5 speed wasnt that much money.

Been debating purchasing a 700R4 from a few places and sticking with the auto for now.

Feedback please!!!!!!!!!

Or somebody purchase my car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:bash

the more I think about it, the more I realize that I do not have the time, nor want to swap in a zf 6 speed. I'de rather just by a new car with a 6 speed in it.

Thanks!

the more I think about it, the more I realize that I do not have the time, nor want to swap in a zf 6 speed. I'de rather just by a new car with a 6 speed in it.

Thanks!

unless you enjoy working on them or have a strong bond to the car that makes much more sense. :upthumbs plus you will have a newer car. ;LOL

Changing the transmission is a big job and you would still have the weak 36 rear end.If you could find a tranny and rearend at a real good price and you are a competent mechanic then maybe it could work out ok but I agree with boss vette buy a low mileage later car with a 6 speed.
When I decided to buy a C4 I kept looking until I found a nice 6 speed.
I refused to buy an auto. Just keep looking and you will find one.
The fun factor goes up 1000% percent driving a 6 speed car.

Changing the transmission is a big job and you would still have the weak 36 rear end.If you could find a tranny and rearend at a real good price and you are a competent mechanic then maybe it could work out ok but I agree with boss vette buy a low mileage later car with a 6 speed.
When I decided to buy a C4 I kept looking until I found a nice 6 speed.
I refused to buy an auto. Just keep looking and you will find one.
The fun factor goes up 1000% percent driving a 6 speed car.

I agree 100%

I should have purchased a 6 speed car (or 4 + 3) in the first place. Oh well!

Hopefully my car will sell soon so I can pick up another vette (LT4 C/E)

not only that, I wanna auto cross my car and do some top speed driving. Not best suited for a auto.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom