Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Changing manual transmission fluid

DC/NH

Corvette
94 Polo Green 6 Speed Coupe
The car has 53K and is 13 years old. I thought I would replace with a synthetic, whats is the best way ...MTL, Amsoil? and what grade

I used what ZF doc recommended. Its a fully synthetic motor oil made by castrol and imported into the states by bmw. They use it in there M5. Castrol TWS 10w60. You will not find it at any of the auto parts chains. Seems to be a bmw dealer only oil. I pd around 5.00 a qt. and you will need 2 qts. (2.2) to be exact.

Shortly after I got my 90 I changed the Trans oil. I don't know if it had ever been changed. I just put in Mobil 1 10-30 , it markedly improved the shift.It seemed as though it slowly got better for about a 1000 miles. Next time i will make the effort to get the BMW oil.

Glenn
:w

I used what ZF doc recommended. Its a fully synthetic motor oil made by castrol and imported into the states by bmw. They use it in there M5. Castrol TWS 10w60. You will not find it at any of the auto parts chains. Seems to be a bmw dealer only oil. I pd around 5.00 a qt. and you will need 2 qts. (2.2) to be exact.

I Agree

Thank you all for your help. I have a local amsoil dealer and i can get to a BMW dealer if i go in that direction. I will have this done with my next oil change in a few weeks.

I will have this done with my next oil change in a few weeks.

If you're going to have someone do it tell him to make sure he can remove the fill plug before draining the oil. It's better to have dirty oil in there than none.

Very good point. I spent 4 hrs getting my fill plug out. There isn't all that much room there and they seem to seize.

Glenn

Shortly after I got my 90 I changed the Trans oil. I don't know if it had ever been changed. I just put in Mobil 1 10-30 , it markedly improved the shift.It seemed as though it slowly got better for about a 1000 miles. Next time i will make the effort to get the BMW oil.

Glenn

I wouldn't leave that in too long. Just my opinion. There's been a lot of research on this subject and Mobil10-30 was not a consideration.

I copied the following 2 Q&A from the ZF web site.

Q: What type of oil do I need to use in my ZF S6-40 Corvette transmission?
A: ZF only recommends the following lubricant for S6-40 transmissions. The GM oil (available from GM with part number 1052931) and the Castrol Synthetic Formula RS 10W60 (available from BMW with part number 0751009420).

Q: What is the recommended service interval for my ZF S6-40 Corvette transmission?
A: The lubricant should be changed every 30,000 miles.

the deal on ZF gearbox lube...

Ok. After a lot of research, cussing and discussing, (many thanks to many people who expressed their considered opinions on the subject) here's the bottom line.

GM had Pennzoil manufacture the lube they (GM) recommend for the ZF gearbox.

The GM part number WAS 12345349. GM no longer sells this product.

The Pennzoil product is:

Pennzoil Synchromesh Manual Transmission Fluid. It comes in a 1 quart bottle, familiar yellow Pennzoil packaging.

It's at Auto Zone, on the shelf.

I do hope this helps someone,

Jim

Ok. After a lot of research, cussing and discussing, (many thanks to many people who expressed their considered opinions on the subject) here's the bottom line.

GM had Pennzoil manufacture the lube they (GM) recommend for the ZF gearbox.

The GM part number WAS 12345349. GM no longer sells this product.

The Pennzoil product is:

Pennzoil Synchromesh Manual Transmission Fluid. It comes in a 1 quart bottle, familiar yellow Pennzoil packaging.

It's at Auto Zone, on the shelf.

I do hope this helps someone,

Jim

Just curious what Autozone charges. It's a lot easier to get to one of their stores than a BMW dealership. plus I don't have to venture into "foreign territory".:D

Trying to remember...

I think it was under $5 or $6 each.

Memory is getting slack in my old age.

Jim

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom