Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1991 vette wont hold charge

eddonjan

Corvette
1991 black soft top
my 1991 wont hold a charge all the time. new battery and alternator.can charge battery and ever thing will be fine for a few days or wont start next day.stck engine 350 cid engine vin code # 8.

Maybe

my 1991 wont hold a charge all the time. new battery and alternator.can charge battery and ever thing will be fine for a few days or wont start next day.stck engine 350 cid engine vin code # 8.
I'm thinking you have a defective battery.Don't know,but possible.Have Pep Boys put the bettery on a load testerand look at the results.

I'm thinking you have a defective battery.Don't know,but possible.Have Pep Boys put the bettery on a load testerand look at the results.
thanks batttery is less then six months old,but will check it.

Make sure there isn't anything else electrical like your stereo slowly zapping the charge.

What brand battery/alternator do you have?

C4 alternators are pretty crappy, IMO.

Make sure there isn't anything else electrical like your stereo slowly zapping the charge.

What brand battery/alternator do you have?

C4 alternators are pretty crappy, IMO.
oem allternator, not sure on battery,both are less then six months old.
thanks

Was the alternator rebuilt or was it brand new? Not all rebuilds are the same.

There are a few threads about upgrading to the later C4 alternators, which they say are beefier.

Fortunately, both the battery and alternator are easy to take out and have them tested. I would suggest doing that. Since both are 6 months old, they should still be under warranty.

Slow drain

will check thanks.its got to be a slow drain. the cd and tape player do not work
thanks

It took me a while to discover that when my '92 coupe was parked somewhere and the temperature in the car rose enough, the expanding air in the car would "lift" the back hatch just enough to turn on the courtesy lights and drain the battery. Of course whenever I looked in the garage at night the lights were never on but after a few days in the garage the battery would be low/dead. Just pure luck that I noticed the interior lights on one afternoon, gave a push down on the hatch and the lights went off. A minor adjustment on the trip switch in the latch and no more problem!
Hope that your problem might be THIS and thus be simple & inexpensive.
Bruce

It took me a while to discover that when my '92 coupe was parked somewhere and the temperature in the car rose enough, the expanding air in the car would "lift" the back hatch just enough to turn on the courtesy lights and drain the battery. Of course whenever I looked in the garage at night the lights were never on but after a few days in the garage the battery would be low/dead. Just pure luck that I noticed the interior lights on one afternoon, gave a push down on the hatch and the lights went off. A minor adjustment on the trip switch in the latch and no more problem!
Hope that your problem might be THIS and thus be simple & inexpensive.
Bruce
Bruce thanks for the tip.Will check latch adjustment.

don't know if you figured out the drain but you can try this...when car is cold (with a fully charged battery) feel the altenator. if there is any heat to it it may be the regulator sticking. i have had some where the internal regulator stuck and would kill battery. also you may want to check why stereo is working maybe the source of the drain.

don't know if you figured out the drain but you can try this...when car is cold (with a fully charged battery) feel the altenator. if there is any heat to it it may be the regulator sticking. i have had some where the internal regulator stuck and would kill battery. also you may want to check why stereo is working maybe the source of the drain.
thanks,Eddie the stereo was the problem.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom