Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

2009 ZR-1 Spotted at Laguna Seca

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
GM pulled out a 2009 ZR-1 prototype yesterday afternoon and took it for a few laps around the legendary Laguna Seca racetrack

Painted in the same yellow paint as the C6-R racecars, several people grabbed a few good shots of it.

The car is reportedly tucked back in its truck and headed back to the Detroit area.

attachment.php

Below is an expanded view:

attachment.php

Exanded View:
attachment.php

attachment.php

• Admin
So, what kind of lap time did it turn?

I'm disappointed if that's really the finished product. It's a Z06 body with a blower hood. For all the extra money it should look a lot different!:L

They must at least work the add on rear spoiler (Dissapointed with that on the earlier Z06's) into the body work !!

No need to re-work too much body as the C7 is perhaps only 2 model years away.

C7 is a 2112 at the earliest. That's why they should make changes on the ZR1. Make some mid model excitement.:L

The wheels look like a nice strong hopefully lightweight design.

C7 is a 2112 at the earliest. That's why they should make changes on the ZR1. Make some mid model excitement.:L

I disagree with that a bit as the C6 has proven to be a world beater and GM is (for the 1st time) successfully competing with the 911 which has not been fundamentally changed...hmmm, ?? ...ever??

I say; just tweek the C6 for a few more years.

The good old Porsche may look the same year after year, but it's been a new car many times.

I'm disappointed if that's really the finished product. It's a Z06 body with a blower hood. For all the extra money it should look a lot different!:L

Don't pass judgement on it too quickly. Last weekend's appearance of the "ZR-1" at Laguna Seca was some pretty good marketing. :D

I agree with Catbert about the 911 evolution as can be seen with the latest GT2 911: 530 hp, 500 ft.lbs. from a twin turbo 3.6 l ( ~220 cu. in ) and ceramic composite brakes. Of course, this is not cheap - $190,000. That's where the Vette comes in - attainable world-class performance. The engineering of the Porsche is undeniable but the performance capability of the Vette is also undeniable. I'd like to see a 24 hour race or at least a few laps at the Nordschleife of these machines in completely out-the-door stock form.

I understand that there's more than a few teams in ALMS GT1 class next season. Should be quite interesting as long as they don't fiddle-fk around with the rules like last season.

All the best :beer

I was at Mazda/Laguna Seca Raceway that weekend. If you look closely at the first photo showing the hood you'll see "indentations" indicating a cut-out for the blower. There are also faint indentations on the front fenders. IMHO the doors shown in the photos are not the ones that are going to be incorporated in the ZR-1. I think the side fender vent is going to be much larger than what's on the C6 Z06 and the crease in the door will be higher to represent that. I wasn't all that excited to see the rear spoiler. I think catalogs are selling that right now as a bolt on. The wheels looked nice but I sure wouldn't want to be the one cleaning them. The rear exhaust panel looked like it's going to have a pseudo diffuser incorporated also. I don't think GM is going to completely re-do the ZR1 body panels as the C7 will be out in a few years, therefore the ZR1 is going to resemble the C6 and not be a completely new style.

I wouldn't expect anything major changes in the styling, but the ZR should jump out visually when parked next to the Z06. It doesn't take much to add and subtract from the panels hanging from the Vette platform/chassis. They did it for the Z06 over the base C6 - only the door panels and hood are common. A little visual bling should be included for the extra $$$$$$$. IMHO;squint:

Very unhappy with what l see!!!!!!!

Hi

This pic is killing me because l am skipping over the C6 not because of the performance nor the interior design but the Camaro nose or E.T. nose which turns me off. This will be the first series that l didn't own.

By the way my home state NJ requires a front plate even though a lot of vette owners ignore this law.

I keep a front plate on and it's really not a big deal it's only a vette and not a Ferrari.

Alan

We'll have to get used to the snub nose of newer cars, including the Vette. US and EC standards now call for a vertical surface on the front of cars for pedestrian safety. The C5 couldn't be sold anymore. I'm guessing the 2112 or 13 Vette will look a lot more like the C6 than the C5. I like the look of the C6 over the C5s, but many don't, and that's been true as each new generation is introduced. Remember the C4 owners and the "big butt" putdown for the C5?

I keep a front plate on and it's really not a big deal it's only a vette and not a Ferrari.

I once gave an angry Ferrari driver a citation for not having a front plate. Wouldn't have gone that far if he wasn't an a$$. :cool

New Jersey is another country!!!!!!!!

In my opinion it doesn't pay to open a can of worms. I come across a lot of law dawgs while competing at ranges and 99% of the would agree with you but with my luck l wouldn't get off my driveway before be ticketed.
And by the way it is the law.

Alan

In my opinion it doesn't pay to open a can of worms. I come across a lot of law dawgs while competing at ranges and 99% of the would agree with you but with my luck l wouldn't get off my driveway before be ticketed.
And by the way it is the law.

Alan

California has the same vehicle law as NJ when it comes to front plates. I usually didn't bother people who didn't have them unless they asked for it.

I have to confess, I don't have a front plate on my Z06 but I do keep it inside the car just in case. I saw a photo on another thread where they painted the outside edges of a clear cover which let the letters/numbers of the plate show. I think that's what I'm going to do with mine. It looked pretty nice.

My contact who has been so right, is STILL quiet....

I have a friend, (I know so many claim to), but he has given me so many good tips the past. But, as has been previously, on this topic he says almost nothing! Could be the threats that have been issued about being fired! But, he made a comment recently, I don't think he meant to. You will all be pleasantly suprised about the "Blue Devel" as you call it. I quized him, but nothing!

Does this mean it is considerably different? I suspect not, you may be looking at the panels that will be different, but only one of several designs that were considered. I have seen numerous pictures, obviously the hood will be different, and probably the brake cooling along with vents to the brakes. But, I suspect they have some othe surprises too. I just can't get poop out of hiim anymore.

Probably because I told everything he said about the GTO before it came out! I got death threats over that one on the Fbody sites! The GTO faithful were outragged they would make it look like a current day sedan. Oh well, maybe GM did not learn the lesson! I think they did!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom