Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: '65 sb vortech blower...fuel pressure regulation

Kid_Again

Corvette
65 SB Roadster, 66 BB Coupe
...if i ever stop farting around with the blower kit on this car, i would actually get around to publishing my tech article on the installation....this question probably belongs in some engine forum somewhere but ANYWAY....

....conventional wisdom says that you need to adjust fuel pressure in accordance with boost...makes sense....i still need to dial-in the induction system but i've decided to cave in and go to a boost-referenced, pressure regulated fuel system....i priced out an new electric fuel pump and a boost referenced regulator and just laughed:boogie....out of their freakin' minds:crazy

...so, by accident, i have sitting on the shelf an edelbrock mechanical fuel pump that was packaged incorrectly...the box is labeled correctly (a street pump), but when i hooked it up, it forced fuel right past the inlet o-rings and the car ran so rich that it made me and VNV cry (we're sensitive by nature but they clearly gave me the wrong pump)..i bought a holley fuel pressure regulator (4.5-9.0 psi, adjustable) but once i got it, decided that compensating for a mistake is the wrong thing to do and just reinstalled a known good fuel pump just to get it on the road...in retrospect, the right thing to do....

...my question involves boost-referenced regulators...after MUCH research on the internet, i found a description of how such things work....the regulator is essentially composed of two chambers, one above and one below a diaphragm which regulates fuel pressure based on spring pressure from the top...to reference boost, the top chamber is vented to the boost side of the carb and the fuel pressure is co-varied by the amount of pressure/vacuum.....on my holley regulator, the fuel pressure increases when the diaphragm is pressurized (tested on the bench).....so..

...after disassembly, i drilled a hole in the regulator's top chamber and added a brass hose barb fitting which will connect to the boost side and i should have a proper boost-referenced pressure regulator....what is difficult to understand is the marketing hype which says that the manufacturers increase fuel pressure 1:1 with boost and i'll admit that i don't know the ratio for my setup but, empirically, i can adjust the rate of rise/fall by simply crimping the boost/vacuum hose...this also assumes that my ideal fuel pressure range is within the holley's 4.5-9.0 psi range but i'm not running an F1 engine here and i have loads of time to make adjustments...my baseline will be to start out with the spring adjustment at it's lowest point (4.5 psi), drive the car and adjust the pressure up as needed....since the engine runs pretty well right now, my assumption is that i just need some fine tuning, not a major induction system overhaul

...any thoughts on my basic premise of how i'm referencing boost?

any other thoughts welcome, of course

...if this works, i saved over $300 but i'll need to buy 3AN braided hose in order to pass to the "VNV Underhood Inspection" which requires both form AND function!!!

...if this works, i saved over $300 but i'll need to buy 3AN braided hose in order to pass to the "VNV Underhood Inspection" which requires both form AND function!!!

The Propper forms have been received and reviewed and a permit issued.
Please expect an inspection at the completion of your work with a full pressure test and an inspection by the Mfg "Russell" for propper torque and appearance.

Any "Gig" found by "Russel'' will result in loss of your Open Hood Display Privliges.:D

PS..All Is Well..In La La Land..

well look who snuck in....

...call u tomorrow

funny you should mention tripower....i just put the finishing touches on the tripower for my '66...even though i had no evidence that the factory air cleaner with the k&n filter was restrictive, i just HAD to make my own by making a new air cleaner top with a 9" round k&n sitting RIGHT over the center of the center carb...looks like i NEVER lie down till it passes :eyerole

well look who snuck in....

...call u tomorrow

Heh Got Your Message ... Thanks for the most excellent check up on the equipment.. You be the best...:beer

Heh Got Your Message ... Thanks for the most excellent check up on the equipment.. You be the best...:beer

....yup, the '65 is fine, everything i checked is fine, it's all fine

...my '65 has the steering box out to gary ramadei, i replaced the cluster light switch, fixed the wobble in the steering column, replaced the turn signal switch, now i have to fab a cold air induction system (gee, did i forget to tell you that one???) and the boost referenced fuel system....then....

...i STILL need to fab exhaust pipe connectors for the '66, from the header collector to the sweet thunders - you need to tell me who does decent exhaust sytem work down 'byda shore....then...

...i finish blocking/primer/base coat-clear coat the '67 bb hood for the '66 and finally, i re-powder coat the tripower intake cover...by that time, it WILL be spring

see 'ya soon

....yup, the '65 is fine, everything i checked is fine, it's all fine

...my '65 has the steering box out to gary ramadei, i replaced the cluster light switch, fixed the wobble in the steering column, replaced the turn signal switch, now i have to fab a cold air induction system (gee, did i forget to tell you that one???) and the boost referenced fuel system....then....

...i STILL need to fab exhaust pipe connectors for the '66, from the header collector to the sweet thunders - you need to tell me who does decent exhaust sytem work down 'byda shore....then...

...i finish blocking/primer/base coat-clear coat the '67 bb hood for the '66 and finally, i re-powder coat the tripower intake cover...by that time, it WILL be spring

see 'ya soon

Hey...We can do a "Two Fer " On that deal... I nead to have mine re-done as the first guy that did mine had a bad supply of "CracK". Looks Like he pointed the welding tip and turned his head while taking a toke and started welding .."High School Pimples'' all over the place not to mention those sharp 90 degree turns.

The Skinny on the palce I have is 'Peterson's " in "Egg Harbor City" at the intersection of White horse Pike and Phila Ave. When I get back from my business trip why don't we ride up together and chech out his shop and talk prices with him for 2 Mid Years.:cool

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom