Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Lost Locking Lug Nut Key

aheinz

Corvette
2005 Black Convertible
I have a 2002 that I bought pre-owned a couple years ago in FL (from Chevrolet dealer). I didn't realize until recently that the key for the locking lug nuts that are on the car were missing.

I live in NY now and the dealer I bought the car from doesn't have the key (it was worth a shot) and said I would need to get the locks broken off. My local dealer said they wouldn't touch the wheels for fear of damaging them.

The wheels are stock (I believe the lug nuts are as well but have no way to verify) and I'm wondering -- hoping, actually -- that someone might have a better solution to this problem. Would another Corvette lug key work? Is breaking them off really the only way?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Have you been able to find a card in the glove box from a company called AMCOR? Their website is www.amorlocks.com you can order a new lock key from them. I had to do the same thing last fall. It is a pretty simple process with the code numbers. I don't know if they can help if you can't find those numbers. I hope this helps a little. By the way welcome to CAC.

That happened to me as well. A local tire shop did get them off. They took a 12 point socket and pounded it on over the outside of the locking nut and managed to get them all off. I think I bought them a new socket- I can't remember for sure.

Been there, done that!:cool Couple of cheep 12 point sockets and some steel weld putty. Meed some putty in the socket then pound it on. When it hardens just take off the lug and throw both away.

Thanks for the ideas. I don't have any paperwork to identify the lock so I'll try the weld putty idea first and if that doesn't work, try a local shop. Worst case, might just have to trade for a C6!

Weld putty always worked for me, but just in case it don't, just drive down to the city , park it and within 15 minutes it will be on blocks with wheals off;LOL;LOL;LOL

I have a 2002 that I bought pre-owned a couple years ago in FL (from Chevrolet dealer). I didn't realize until recently that the key for the locking lug nuts that are on the car were missing.

I live in NY now and the dealer I bought the car from doesn't have the key (it was worth a shot) and said I would need to get the locks broken off. My local dealer said they wouldn't touch the wheels for fear of damaging them.

The wheels are stock (I believe the lug nuts are as well but have no way to verify) and I'm wondering -- hoping, actually -- that someone might have a better solution to this problem. Would another Corvette lug key work? Is breaking them off really the only way?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

A long-shot:

Did you check the small, moulded depression in the rear of the storage compartment carpet for the locking key? Some C5 owners do not realize the small depression is there for the storage of the locking key.

Some dealers have a set of keys to the locking lug nuts. Call around and see if any of the service departments have the set.

Good luck.

A long-shot:

Did you check the small, moulded depression in the rear of the storage compartment carpet for the locking key? Some C5 owners do not realize the small depression is there for the storage of the locking key.

Some dealers have a set of keys to the locking lug nuts. Call around and see if any of the service departments have the set.

Good luck.
The web site for the locks has a list of dealers that carry the locks they might be able to help if there is one close to you.

most times the dealer has a master kit some will remove them for nothing others for a small service charge wqrth checking out steve

most times the dealer has a master kit some will remove them for nothing others for a small service charge wqrth checking out steve
Yeah,and nice thing is you can then get the key #!!:upthumbs

If the locks are the type with the key pattern on the outside just get a socket that's a little too small and pound it on over the lock. It will come off!
If it's the kind with the key pattern on the inside, you will need a new key made for it, or try the Epoxy trick.

If the locks are the type with the key pattern on the outside just get a socket that's a little too small and pound it on over the lock. It will come off!
If it's the kind with the key pattern on the inside, you will need a new key made for it, or try the Epoxy trick.

Mine was lost along with the spare key, spare fob, plate frame and build sheet while it was at a broker waiting to be sold. I replaced the locks with some McGuards and the key is in the recess under the rear hatch well.

THere are removal kits that consist of a "socket" like tool that pounds on, for $20 it helped me out of a bad spot. They work pretty well!!!

My '02 had wheel locks. My guess is that if you have something on the car above the stock gray painted wheels the factory put wheel locks on.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom