Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Conv. Top Window Un-glued

Tomrw

Corvette
2000 Black Conv. Bassani Exhaust.
I discovered today that the window in my top has started to come un-glued, upper left corner to be specific. Look like the gule has dryed out. Otherwise the top is in good shape, the car is garaged most of the year. How to I affect a repair? Any suggestions? Thanks for your help!

Tom, I had to replace the top on my C5 last year when the back glass fell out completely in traffic one afternoon. :ugh My problem was it showed no signs of breaking loose until the whole thing went... since your top is popped in one corner only, you may be able to buy some time.

Unfortunately - it's happened to me twice. :eyerole I noticed the top breaking loose on my first Corvette - a C4 - and took it to a guy that works on convertible tops and interiors.

When I had my 1994 'vert, the rear window began breaking loose from the seal at the lower driver's side corner and up one side about 4 inches. I took it to a fella that replaces tops and interiors, and he suggested I try some Superglue on it before we replaced the top. According to what he told me, that was my only two options. He said that once they let go, they couldn't be resealed and top replacement was the only route.

I went to the drug store and bought a couple of tubes, and he helped me with it. The trick was putting pressure on both sides of the glass and top (interior and exterior) while the glue had time to set.

We were careful not to smear any on the glass or top, and when finished it looked good and held for another year. This bought me some time to set aside some funds for a new top.

Now - this was about 5 years ago, and maybe a shop in your area has a tool to repair it. I'd at least check. But if they start talking top replacement it certainly wouldn't hurt to try and repair it first. If it doesn't work, you can always go with the replacement anyway.

I'd suggest trying Superglue first and if that works you should be okay for awhile... but you are likely going to have to replace it soon.

Good luck with it and let us know how it turns out!
:wJane Ann

HPIM1197_Bad_Top_3.jpg

HPIM1193_Bad_Top_2.jpg

I read on another forum where someone used black silicone adhesive to re-attach his rear glass. He also made a jig to keep pressure on the seal from the inside out to ensure contact and left it overnight to cure - has held for years now.

Try Gorilla Tape ! It fixes anything and should not be seen as it is black!

Thanks for all the suggestions. Just to bring you up todate, the bottom fell out, or should I say the glass let go all across the top of the window. I have been researching RTV, Loctite and 3M materials, haven’t made my choice yet. I believe that I have a fix, will provide pictures if it works. If anyone has any other ideas, I’m all ears.

Just for you info the local Chevy dealer gave me a a price of $3280 for a new top.

Tom

...Just for you info the local Chevy dealer gave me a a price of $3280 for a new top.

Tom

OMG!!! I paid less than $1700 and that was a new Robbins top, labor and any followup adjustments needed by a really great top man and all around decent guy.

I'd try to find someone reputable other than taking it to a dealership because they're going to take you to the cleaners!

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

OMG!!! I paid less than $1700 and that was a new Robbins top, labor and any followup adjustments needed by a really great top man and all around decent guy.

I'd try to find someone reputable other than taking it to a dealership because they're going to take you to the cleaners!

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

Thanks for the advice
Let me tell you the chevy dealer isn't going to get any my money.
Tom

back window repair

happenned to my c5 used goop auto contact adhesive and sealant purchased at auto zone has held for 3 weeks so far.will be getting a new top next week

This is apparently becoming something of a common issue among C5 Convertible owners. 6-Shooter posted a very useful thread on this subject, which we've stuck as a resource in the C5 Technical and Performance Forum.

Take a look HERE. It may be of some help.

:w
-Patrick

Ok I made the repair in September, and it still holding.

I used Permatex Item #81158 Silicone adhesive.

Build a wooden frame to support the rear window from the inside.
Frame has rubber in the vertical arms to help grip the window.
The middle support piece has single nail at each vertical support to allow better fit.

Blue painters tape is used to insure good contact between the glass and the top.

I haven tried to push hard on the window, but in normal driving it’s holding up. No sign of letting go.
See pictures below.

Just a quick up date, the window is still holding, not signs of letting go.

Oh man! My glass is ungluded on the right side.:eek:hnoes I just ordered the Rhino glue. I hope it works.

Oh man! My glass is ungluded on the right side.:eek:hnoes I just ordered the Rhino glue. I hope it works.

Bonnell:
I can tell you that my method using RTV has held since last September, good luck with the repair.

Bonnell:
I can tell you that my method using RTV has held since last September, good luck with the repair.

Thanks for the update. I just searched for RTV and marked the online supplier. I will order it too since it is cheap. Were you able to find it locally? How long to dry? Thanks for the help.:thumb

I purchaes ti at the locat automotive supply store. I left the supports and tape in place for 24 hours, follow the direction on the tube. I used a very small bead of material, pressed it out using the top and then taped it.

I purchaes ti at the locat automotive supply store. I left the supports and tape in place for 24 hours, follow the direction on the tube. I used a very small bead of material, pressed it out using the top and then taped it.

Thanks!:thumb I will find it and use it. I do not intend to pay $2K or more for a new roof until I satisfy myself that it can't be fixed. Hopefully I can get the same results as you did.

I really appreciate your responses.

Good luck with your repair. :thumb Keep us in the loop and take photos if possible you can share in a new thread. Never know when another C5 owner will be faced with the issue and since the last C5 model is now 4 years old, it's not a question of "if" but only "when".

Adhesive for glass window in Convertible

I haven't faced this problem yet, but I've used 3M Windoweld in similar circumstances. It's used for holding in windshields, so it's strong and flexible. I used it to build new motor mounts a few years ago, and they're still working! The stuff is black, so if your top is also black, it will be invisible unless you are extremely sloppy in your repair.

with all the big dollar amounts being thrown around to replace a top, how hard can it be to buy the top and install it yourself?? Any experiences?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom