Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

LT1 finally met its match

T

Towu4free

hey guys...on the way home today i had an LS2 GTO come up beside me ....i know i know..he has more power but i kicked it anyway just for the hell of it :D well we were running 60 when i kicked it and we ran up to about 85 i believe......and he pulled on me:mad very slowly...he didnt spank me but got his nose ahead of me...my lt1 is stock...guys ive done many many searches and one guy says one thing and the other guys says no...so can you guys tell me what i could do to gain a little more power/torque to my vette? it has 3:08 gears..and the previous owner put an airfoil in it.. thats all the mods i got..This guy and i kinda have a rivalry and i just want to finally get the upper hand...so any MOD advice is appreciated!! thanks guys

Note: for now Cam/heads are out of the question...dont want to tear into that engine to much and i understand if your response is " well your not going to get anything if you dont put a cam and heads on it" but i just dont know enough yet to know myself so thanks guys!!!:thumb

A cat-back exhaust and a cold air intake are good mods. Be careful with the exhaust though. Some C4 exhausts create a terrible drone while crusing at highway speeds.

:thumb Jason

Simplest best bang for the buck=change differential gearing. You'll put him in his place quickly!

lets look at this as it should be looked at, what are you running this guy at?standing start,lite to light or a rolling start more bang for your buck? chip it up, get a tuner, headers better air filter set up 3 inch exhaust better flowing mufflers,how serious are you about whipping this guy invest in NO2 with a controler. with a tuner you can change your shift points where the motor is at its optimum r.p.m h.p out put if you want to go lite to lite go with the lower gears but remember this, the low gears will get you there quick but i dont know if i'd like driving to califorina at 50 mph it'll get you there fast but keepin it there is the thing good luck!

i'm also assuming you have a auto tranny?
yea its the 4l60e and the race today was from about 60 to i believe 80 or 95 cant remember...he didnt whip me though supprisingly he just pulled ahead slowly but steady..i personally like to run from a dead stop to about 70 normally. hope that gives you an idea p.s what kind of exhaust are you guys running? i like the look of the magnaflow

Corsa should produce a 10-15 HP gain with a nice exhaust note and no drone.
I saw a 22 HP gain on my ex-92 but it was LT4tified first with over 300 HP at the rear wheels. For a stock LT1, 10-15 would be about right.

Need/Want more? An LT4 conversion with the LT4 Hot Cam added 80-90 HP but it cost a bit more than just exhaust. There are lots of options for adding HP - just depends on how much you want to spend.

Corsa should produce a 10-15 HP gain with a nice exhaust note and no drone.
I saw a 22 HP gain on my ex-92 but it was LT4tified first with over 300 HP at the rear wheels. For a stock LT1, 10-15 would be about right.

Need/Want more? An LT4 conversion with the LT4 Hot Cam added 80-90 HP but it cost a bit more than just exhaust. There are lots of options for adding HP - just depends on how much you want to spend.

I agree, Corsa is the way to go.:thumb

With a stick, you can reach 100 in 3rd gear easy. The only limitation to kicking his a$$ seems to be that your auto upshifts to 4th too early (or earlier than his) I'm not sure how many shift points are on the auto stick (1,2,D or 1,2,3,D?) but, you might make a test blast in a lower shift setting and see how fast she goes before rev-lock. If that doesn't work, then go for the other mods suggested. Just remember that the most you'll get from above mod$ is about 20HP. I don't think you need more HP, you just need to get there a little quicker (shift points):thumb:thumb

pontiac trans am...I WON!!

hey guys, i didnt meet up with the gto again but had a pontiac firebird today that wouldnt leave me alone it looked to be the body style with the LT1 it was def a V8, anyway he kept getting in front of me and slowing down so i casually pulled into the other lane and launched it keep in mind he was doing about 65 when i passed him, so i got ahead of him and slowed down then saw him coming in my rear veiw (after i had hit the brakes and begun to slow down) so i mashed it again (thinking he would probably pass me because he had a run on me.....NOT :D he pulled for another 2 secs then i began to loose him...at 111mph i let off man that felt good kickin some pontiac butt!! it was a strong runnin pontiac though it wasnt weak! happy vetting guys!!:w

One word (and not really a word).......ZR-1, that will get them.

One word (and not really a word).......ZR-1, that will get them.

well i won the race today hahah and yes id love to drive a zr1 one day...by the way how hard is it to do the 1.6 rockers like you did on your car? and did you feel a diffrence? thanks :w

Changing out the Rockers isn't too tough. Getting them ready to adjust them was the tougher part. I also changed out the springs at the same time. It had been so long since I had done any of that, well I just had to work slowly.

Now, did I feel any difference? yea maybe SOTP dyno says there was a little there. Didn't hurt any that's for sure.:chuckle

- 2800 stall converter
- 3.73 gears
- drag radials
- 1.7 rockers w LT4 valve springs
- long tube headers
- muffler elims
- cut lid w K&N
- tune

doing the above should net mid - low 12 sec timeslips. add a hotcam and some head porting and 11s should be easy

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom