Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Spare tire is it real or legend.?

bucket

Corvette
who has never seen their spare tire except me.?...:rotfl
is it a hassell to get out.? or not.?
dont think bad of me..i am disabled with a screwed up spine and avoid unnecessary backage if you know what i mean...:w

:L

I would suggest getting someone to check on it bucket. I discovered I didn't have a spare on my C4 only when I needed it. In defense of myself, I have to say my '94 convertible was my first Corvette and I didn't think to check the spare when I bought it.

And my mechanic did a nationwide internet search for several days without locating one, so I ended up having to order the rim and tire new.

Ouch!
:wJane Ann

1994_TorchRed_Convertible.jpg

nice ride...thanx for the tip..so yer sayin that the rim is corvette specific..?

What spare tire, mine was removed the day after I bought my Ruby, who needs 50 pounds of crap that doesn't hold air slowing me down. :cool

My "new" spare consists of tire plug kit, a can of fix a flat and a 12V air compressor. If I need more than that, that is why I got AAA. Heck of a lot lighter too.:lou

i see yer point...AAA is in my wallet also..no strain no hassell just as long as i have cell phone reception..???

I had a flat on my wife's 87 .The spare was there and in good shape .The rest of the process would be classified as "a real bitch and a half".I was on a very busy freeway during rush hour ,I chose to drive on it flat for a mile to get to safety .Getting the jack (after finding it)into position was terrible .

I'd consider getting run flats the next time you up grade tires.

If I ever had a flat on a C4 again i'd burn the car and collect the insurance .:D

I picked up a nail in one of the rear tires of my old GS. Getting the spare tire out was a PITA.

FWIW, I think the spare tire (when it is in its crib) was intended to help dampen rear impacts.

:thumb Jason

I had a flat on my wife's 87 .The spare was there and in good shape .The rest of the process would be classified as "a real bitch and a half".I was on a very busy freeway during rush hour ,I chose to drive on it flat for a mile to get to safety .Getting the jack (after finding it)into position was terrible .

I'd consider getting run flats the next time you up grade tires.

If I ever had a flat on a C4 again i'd burn the car and collect the insurance .:D

dont you blaspheme up in here...lol:Buttslap

FWIW, I think the spare tire (when it is in its crib) was intended to help dampen rear impacts.

:thumb Jason
:boogie

You can imagine the level of frustration after crawling under there, dropping the retainer and finding no spare.

Funny comments.......I tend to check mine out once a year while I have it in the air on my lift. I know...not everyone has a lift, but it sure helps the back when checking the spare!

You folks are lucky, the original owner of my wife's 1990 had the extra body skirts installed all around and anything taller than a very small rat cannot get under the car. So, like a previous poster, I carry a can of instant repair stuff and since we are members of the R.A.C, I'll let their repair guy figure out how to get to the spare if ever we need it. And to forestall the obvious question of why I don't rip off the ground hugging skirts which I hate, the answer is that my wife loves the car the way it is. Ergo, I lose. Of course, she's not the one that will have to deal with a flat tire, that's why she has me on speed dial on her mobile...

My spare is there,,, holds air and will stay there. I agree with Jason

If I have a flat, I'm calling someone.;help I am not going to deal with it. I pay $2 a month for road service on my insurance policy. I turn in the bill and get a check in a day or two.

Glenn
:w

:thumb
On the late cars that had the RPO N84 "spare tire delete "option ,
the factory installed a large alum box section in place of the spare for crash absorbtion

I've owned mine for about 9 years now, and I don't know if ther's a spare in there or not!

I guess I hope that I never have to find out!

I found a mouse nest in my spare tire once (I parked the old C4 in my 'barn' in the back 3). That wasn't alot of fun to find.

Btw, the spare tire and wheel is part of the rear crash protection plan in C4's. For those that bought the run-flat tire and spare tire delete option in '95/'96, you'll fine an aluminum bar bolted in where the spare tire would normally be to retain rear end crash worthiness. While removing the spare might save 50 pounds, it might save your neck in a rear end collision if it's there.

BE CAREFUL if you've never lowered it in YEARS!

PIA! I bought my vette used and apparently in the 7 years no one had opened it much if at all. The first time I got a flat it was fortunately in my driveway. The blessed retainer was stuck VERY badly and without a manual I didnt really know which way to turn it anyway (It seems to be OPPOSITE of clockwise/counter or "righty tighty lefty loosey").....

ANYWAY as I was rocking it in both directions to try to loosen it and despite ample rust penetrant the bloody thing snapped off and I caught my finger UNDER the pan! :bash
My finger was so bloody I got faint and darn near passed out!
Fortunately my Uncle was home next door as I stumbled bleeding into his hallway!;help

If I have a flat, I'm calling someone.;help I am not going to deal with it. I pay $2 a month for road service on my insurance policy. I turn in the bill and get a check in a day or two.

Glenn
:w

im pretty sure the pedal on the right is the one that prevents rear impacts...
:beer

I would change the spare every so often. Sure, it isn't exposed but every 15 -20 years wouldn't be bad. Yes, you have AAA but so what? What will they change it with if the tire is flat? Now you have to be towed in. If you have a good spare, they can change it if you are willing to wait. I wasn't so I changed it myself.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom