Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

New tire selection

LaMagred'02

Corvette
2002 Magnetic Red Coupe
Getting ready to buy a new set of tires for my 2002 coupe...still has the OE GY runflats.....am leaning towards the Michelin ZP's.....any other suggestions?

:beer:thumb

If you plan to stay with run-flat tires - no.

In late May I bought the Michelin PS ZP's in stock sizes and really like them. Many people will tell you to move away from the run flats, but I just need that extra peace of mind.

If you plan to say with run-flat tires - no.

If you are considering non-runflats, take a close look at the Firestone Wide Ovals. I've got them on my Z16 and love them.:thumb:thumb

Super Performance Tires

I went with BF Goodrich g-Force KDW2's. I wanted a tire that
would stick and if I ever got caught in rain would shed water.
True...they're not run flats but I have an electric air pump, radial
plugs and tire sealer.
Remo:cool

2525394420103361744S600x600Q85.jpg

In late May I bought the Michelin PS ZP's in stock sizes and really like them. Many people will tell you to move away from the run flats, but I just need that extra peace of mind.

That is pretty much how I feel as well. I'd like a non run flat, but I would rather the extra security.:beer

plugs and tire sealer.

cool tread:thumb

If you drive your Vette as often as Remo, you really wouldn't need tires...

..., but if you really drive a Vette, RF's are the only way to go! :thumb

:lou
L8TR - D

Cheap Shot

6-Shooter...how can you infer that mine doesn't get driven much? Here's
proof of it "outside" of the garage.:L

plugs and tire sealer.

+1 on that
They're every bit as good as the Michelin PS2, are available in many more sizes, and cost less -- best street tire I ever used!

I've had both runflats and non runflats on Vettes. I like the reduced noise and better feel with non runflats, but the peace of mind out weighs it all for me so I'm back to runflats.

6-Shooter...how can you infer that mine doesn't get driven much? Here's
proof of it "outside" of the garage.:L

[ :hijack]
Remo, the only evidence Dwayne can point to that supports a conclusion
"Remo doesn't drive his Vette much"
is the lack of reports of run-ins with cops.

Dwayne, of course, has had several run-ins.
He may be jealous of your clean record. :chuckle

We know return you to your regularly scheduled discussion of tire selection...

[/:hijack]

I'm using the Michelin PS ZP's as well...a very good tire. It's nice to know that I won't get stranded if I get a flat. This is especially important as I take 'vette drives up in the mountains and are often a ways from civilization. A lot of times up there you can't even get a cell signal, so if you get a flat, you're kind of screwed. I will always have run-flats.

I'll probably have everyone up in arms when I say that I have the original Goodyears on mine and I just don't hear the noise thing, I don't hear any unusual road noise, and I think they handle great. Also, from what I understand they have the longest "flat" run distance rating of 100 miles. What was that you said...I didn't hear you?

Looks like I am going with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S plus ZP:beer

The tires you purchase must meet your driving needs. The Michelin, Firestones, and Bridgestones, and others are good tires. I have been trying to determine what tires I will put on my 02 coupe next spring, and have finally decided to get Michelin Pilot A/S as they meet my driving needs. They are not a competion tire, but a high milage cruising tire. Talked to several 2002 Corvette drivers at the NCCC convention last week who were running the Michelin A/S and they loved them. After Catbert suggested that I look at the Bridgestones, I did, and found them to be really good tires, but decided on the Michelin A/S. The Firestone Wide Ovals are much like the Michelin P2s and Bridgestones, so you probably can't go wrong. I too will stay with ZPs (run flats). Would like to hear from you after you purchase and drive the new tires, and your opinion of them. I am happy that Tom (Toms 01) likes his Michelins as I had asked him about them early this year.
Barrett

would it be wise to purchase the road hazard warranty as well?

would it be wise to purchase the road hazard warranty as well?

I purchased a road hazard for my 91 Corvette's Goodyears, and had a blowout about 3 months later. They paid me for price of the new Continental tire I purchased, because there was no Goodyear store immediately near me and I did not want to chance another blowout. Purchased 4 Continentals total from Discount Tire, non run flats as I had a spare. So I paid for three Continental tires and Goodyear paid for the 4th Continental tire. I did not come out ahead in the deal, but might have if there was a Goodyear store in the area where I had the sidewall blowout. I limped at 55 mph for Fort Collins Colorado on the spare. Only Discount could get replacement directional tires that fit the 91 corvette, and they had to get them from Denver; took over 12 hours to be retired and back on the road.
I did purchased the road hazard for my Goodyears on the 02 coupe and have not used it yet and hopefully will not have to use it before replacement. Keep in mind that a road hazard policy costs about 10% of the purchase price of a tire, so it could add from $25 to $35 to the cost of each tire. Michelin's road hazard is the same as Goodyears I believe, but with Goodyear, you can take it to a Goodyear store for repair or replacement. For Michelin, I was told that they have a nationwide network of dealers that will honor the road hazard, so you have to call Michelin to get the dealer nearest you. You should check with your dealer to confirm what I was told. I have not decided yet on the road hazard policy for the replacement next spring, but I did not put it on the Goodyears for the 08, nor on the Nittos on my 1994 Corvette convertible, but have the road hazard on my two blazers and pick up. It boils down to what you feel comfortable with. I have used the road hazard on the two blazers and the truck, so it paid off. I seem to find all the nails that are on the highway. Hope this helps.
Barrett

I purchased a road hazard for my 91 Corvette's Goodyears, and had a blowout about 3 months later. They paid me for price of the new Continental tire I purchased, because there was no Goodyear store immediately near me and I did not want to chance another blowout. Purchased 4 Continentals total from Discount Tire, non run flats as I had a spare. So I paid for three Continental tires and Goodyear paid for the 4th Continental tire. I did not come out ahead in the deal, but might have if there was a Goodyear store in the area where I had the sidewall blowout. I limped at 55 mph for Fort Collins Colorado on the spare. Only Discount could get replacement directional tires that fit the 91 corvette, and they had to get them from Denver; took over 12 hours to be retired and back on the road.
I did purchased the road hazard for my Goodyears on the 02 coupe and have not used it yet and hopefully will not have to use it before replacement. Keep in mind that a road hazard policy costs about 10% of the purchase price of a tire, so it could add from $25 to $35 to the cost of each tire. Michelin's road hazard is the same as Goodyears I believe, but with Goodyear, you can take it to a Goodyear store for repair or replacement. For Michelin, I was told that they have a nationwide network of dealers that will honor the road hazard, so you have to call Michelin to get the dealer nearest you. You should check with your dealer to confirm what I was told. I have not decided yet on the road hazard policy for the replacement next spring, but I did not put it on the Goodyears for the 08, nor on the Nittos on my 1994 Corvette convertible, but have the road hazard on my two blazers and pick up. It boils down to what you feel comfortable with. I have used the road hazard on the two blazers and the truck, so it paid off. I seem to find all the nails that are on the highway. Hope this helps.
Barrett

The warranty is going to run me another $110 for the 4 Michelins.:w

I am still trying to decide.:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom