Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

07' new owner questions...

Stinger !!

Corvette
'08 Will Cooksey #144 Z06
Now that I have enjoyed a few "getting to know you" in the garage days with my new 07' Coupe, I am on the hunt for a few goodies.

Fortunatley I live near Ecklers and I stopped by recently to look at couple of items.

First of all, can any C6 owners tell my the "short cut" to properly mounting a rear tag bracket...DAH!!! :confused

I purchased two of them with the expectation of returning the one that may be less attractive. Neither of them seem to bolt up properly. One is the "painted" to match the car color ...plastic. The other is the chrome "Corvette" logo across the bottom type.

When I put either on the car, using only the supplied by "GM" top holes for tightning, they do not pull the bottom of the tag/bracket up snug. Actually by tightning, it causes the bottom to be drawn about a 1/4 inch or so away from laying flat against the car...looks terrible! Am I going about this the wrong way? Do I need to brake out the drill and put the apparent "missing" GM holes on the bottom of the the mounting area ....seems as if there should be holes on all four corners, not just the top...

Opinions please!

Opinions...IMHO leave the car alone when it come to all the gee-gaws added to the outside of this car. It is beautiful just being a Corvette. Mods to the driveline are a different story. And this comming from a Harley guy who can't leave my bike alone. JMO, but you did ask. ;)

IMhO as an Industrial Designer the tacky "add ons" that can be put on Vettes (or other cars...) are just that: tacky. Professional designers sweat bullets developing the shapes of these outstanding cars and all that junk does is destroy the design concinnity the cars have. But to each his own; like that total aaahboreshunn based on a C6 Vette that was shown at SEMA: front looked like a cartoon '57 Chevy and rear was a '59 Chevy with its batman wings...total UGH, certainly deserved a max FUGHLEE award! Why anybody with even a hint of "taste" would do that is beyond me. DFO:eyerole

IMhO as an Industrial Designer the tacky "add ons" that can be put on Vettes (or other cars...) are just that: tacky.

I tend to agree. The only outside mod I've done is to replace the CHMSL from the factory with the LED version, but it doesn't alter the appearance of the car.

I'm waiting anxiously for the UPS guy as I've ordered a VARARAM Snake Charmer intake and changing out to a BB exhaust.... Christmas is early this year!

I'm waiting anxiously for the UPS guy as I've ordered a VARARAM Snake Charmer intake and changing out to a BB exhaust.... Christmas is early this year![/quote]

now there you go, perfectly acceptable mods. IMHO :)

Fellas I got to disagree with you here.

Theres no way in hell Id add anything on the sides, front rear, anywhere on my Magnetic red C6. Not even the front plate, Ill take the ticket, thank you.

However, The raw edge of my rear plate just made the rear look unfinished, for lack of a better word. Just rough in a sea of flawless colored plastic. Uh Uh.

I happened to come across a very high quality, very triple plated just the right thickness with old style "Corvette" in very subtle letters across the bottom license plate holder, which I installed and never looked back.

It is the one thing that actually improves. It is very pretty.

Had a Pewter 99 SS Camaro convertable and I always said there wasnt one thing that could be added to that car, it would just upset its lines. No front plate on that one either, but i did replace the ugly stock grill with a black powdercoated screen- really upped the refinement a notch.

I think thats just about the only room you have to play with on these cars- the front grill and the rear plate .

Oh PS stinger, I filed down 2 nylon spacers on an angle so they would force the plate to sit flat- And my nice little plate holder has little rubber stick on thingies behind it to prevent rubbing of the paint.

Fellas I got to disagree with you here.

Theres no way in hell Id add anything on the sides, front rear, anywhere on my Magnetic red C6. Not even the front plate, Ill take the ticket, thank you.

However, The raw edge of my rear plate just made the rear look unfinished, for lack of a better word. Just rough in a sea of flawless colored plastic. Uh Uh.

I happened to come across a very high quality, very triple plated just the right thickness with old style "Corvette" in very subtle letters across the bottom license plate holder, which I installed and never looked back.

It is the one thing that actually improves. It is very pretty.

Had a Pewter 99 SS Camaro convertable and I always said there wasnt one thing that could be added to that car, it would just upset its lines. No front plate on that one either, but i did replace the ugly stock grill with a black powdercoated screen- really upped the refinement a notch.

I think thats just about the only room you have to play with on these cars- the front grill and the rear plate .

I agree!! :beer

The back plate mount on this C6 stlye is riduculous! No way to make any plate look good without some kind of plate/tag bracket...that is why I started this thread, to get opinions...

IMO there should have been 4 corner mount screws, not just the 2 along the top...when drawn tight, the lower portion of the tag is pulled away causing it to look like a temp mount!!

Don't see anything wrong with the license plate frame either. I've thought about it too, just haven't done anything about it.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom