Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1/4 Mile Times

JimS said:
You are right that you need a roll cage in a vert at 13.99, I just called there. That sucks! Were in Warrenville are you. My Pops lives in West Chicago at 59 & 64. I met -=Jeff=- from this fourm in Bartlett and a few of his friends in the spring. He was putting headers on his 89'. This is my first car I can actually do some work on. It good to hear suggestions, especially from people who have done it themselves.

Thanks for the advise on the exhaust, I really don't want to spend a grand. I'll keep looking. I won't need it until the spring anyways.

-JimS

I'm about 3-4 miles south of 59 & N Ave.
Actually Jeff is a very close friend of mine and I have spent ALOT of time in his garage -lol In fact I must have met you, I was over at Jeff's that day -LOL

JimS,

Try corvetteforum.com. It seems there's a lot of info there
on performance mods.

I too considered the 52 mm TB. I'm not sure,Jim, if that will help
us either. I think not--it has been explained to me that you
need different runners to handle more air. The TB is not the
weak link in the system (or if it is, it is tied with something else
for being the weakest link--in terms of airflow allowed).

I think you are on the right track with headers/cats/exhaust. I
don't have hard evidence, but it makes sense to me.

JimS said:
You are right that you need a roll cage in a vert at 13.99, I just called there. That sucks! Were in Warrenville are you. My Pops lives in West Chicago at 59 & 64. I met -=Jeff=- from this fourm in Bartlett and a few of his friends in the spring. He was putting headers on his 89'. This is my first car I can actually do some work on. It good to hear suggestions, especially from people who have done it themselves.

Thanks for the advise on the exhaust, I really don't want to spend a grand. I'll keep looking. I won't need it until the spring anyways.

-JimS

Yeah you met Nick (vettn94) Jim.. he was there that day I installed the headers..

Don't waste your time on the MSD unless you have a power adder like nitrous, then the retard feature of the digital 6 would help.

As for exhaust, I would suggest just the mufflers, the stock system seems pretty good with exception of the mufflers.

The intake manifold is set up for a 52 mm throttle body. (If you get a 58 mm then the intake needs to be ported... this would only help in big HP engines)... Some people don't like the aftermarket 52 mm TB's because they are noisy... You can really hear an air noise (which I think sounds cool)... There are definite steps to making your car go faster... TB is after exhaust and after rockers IMO... Once you get the airbox opened up, MAF screens removed(on applicable years) the next bottle neck is the TB.

BTW, if you have everything except the Tbody, you will probably need an adjustable fuel pressure regulator before you get it... The car has to be tuned with air/fuel ratio, NOT PSI! Once you get all that air moving in and out of the engine, you should need more pressure, but you can't just crank it up or the computer will compensate with shorter pulse times which leads to bad spray patterns. you should adjust the fuel pressure before the throttle body... get the car tuned in, then swap it, and tune it again.

Hey,

everything you just said makes so much sense that I read it twice! What I got from you is that you not only need the air to get in and out, but you also need for the computer to adjust to the increased amount of air flow with more fuel.

How hard is it to do that fuel pressure regulator?

Went to Sac raceway last week. Weather was hot. Best times were 13.040@110.5 and 13.12@111. Tires are rock hard 10 year old GSC's and several times it seemed to crap out between 4500 and 5000 rpm. I think it may be time for a new fuel filter. New tires are on the way from tire rack. I went with Sumi Htrz. I will let you know how they work out. Callaway claims 12.6 for this car. I think with traction, cooler weather and fixing the upper rpm missing I'll get there.

Super,

You ever run the Z28 at the track?

FSTVETTE,

You should check out CF if you don't believe his 13.4 time. Mr Mojo over there has turned high 12s in a stock LT1 6speed.

EDMOND

I do not have a Z28 I think you might be thinking of "Supernatural 400". He has two nice cars, me only one.

SN001

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom