Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1.6 roller tip rockers???

8T8T2

Corvette
80 L-82 Silver / 82 Crossfire White-Silver
I would like to install CompCams 1.6 magnum roller tip rockers on the 82 but have a few questions. I realize the L-83 engine has 3/8 in. pressed in studs with no push-rod guides. Because of no guides there have been horror stories of push-rods walking off the roller tips during a hard run. Instead of having head work done to have screw in studs and guides installed could the self align rockers be used. Has anyone done this with good results?
Also after installing 1.6 rockers has there been any problem with the pushrods rubbing in the head?
Thanks for any input.

I used 1.6 rollers a time ago, can't remeber any problems with the pushrod clearance. But you have to be sure that you have enought piston to valve clearance. I have no experience with self align rockers.

piston/valve

Did you have any problem with piston to valve clearance with the 1:6 rockers installed? Any problems at all? do you still have them installed?
Thanks,
Mike

MaineShark
I've read the thread on Zektor's install using 1.52 self aliginers. Sounds like he had good results. I plan on using 1.6's which I'm guessing would put a little more angle on the pushrod's which may cause interference with the head.
69 coupe has 1.6's installed on his 69 with no problem but I'm working with 82 smog heads which I'm guessing are not as forgiving as the 69's.
Anyone out there with 1.6's on a CrossFire 82????

I did some looking, and several article mentioned rubbing problems with later engines. On the other hand, some said "no problem at all." I think the best bet would be to install them and then pull it apart after a little bit, and look for rub marks on the pushrods. If they rub, you may need to open up the pushrod holes (or sell them and buy a set of 1.52's). I don't think it's all that difficult, if you don't mind pulling your heads.

Joe

The engine I used 1.6 rockers on was a 327 + 060 with #461 heads. It was used for dragracing several years ago. The heads was unmodified exept for the rocker studs and Crane rollers.
Comp ratio 13.7:1; yes piston to valve clearance was a problem. You had to be sober when adjusting valve clearance.

By the way, the 69 coupe has a 427.

You will get more out of a set of good true roller rockers than the 1.6 ones. Scorpian makes a great set with oil gallie's to the tips, I use these on my 427 small block.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom