Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1.6 rollers under oem covers?

Peer81

Corvette
'81 Black
The question is simple. Will full roller rockers 1.6 fit the stock covers?
I hope so because i bought an extra pair [emoji6]

Greetings Peter

Some may. Some won't.

Depends on the size/shape of the rocker, the size/shape of the interior volume of the cover and the valve lift.

At one time, I owned a 400 cid Gen 1 SBV8 which had Crane, 1.6:1 gold race rockers under stock, sheet metal valve covers. Valve lift was modest.

In short, you're just going to have to try them. Use thick the valve cover gaskets with the steel reinforcments in them. I think FelPro makes them.

Bolt on the covers then turn the engine over by hand several rotations then remove the covers and check for marks. If you don't see any, put them back on and run the engine at idle for a short time. Pull the covers again and look for marks.

If you see no marks you're probably ok.

Thanks Hib!

As I'm also going with a modest cam I can give it a try. :)

Greetings Peter

Peter,

of course, there is always,"cheating". Depending on the geometry and all that, perhaps a thick gasket could help. I bought some thick valve cover gaskets that are about shy of a 1/4". However, I have standard 1.52 rockers with roller tips. Needless to say, it would involve experimenting.

The baffles for the pcv and breather wont clear my stock 81 covers. rhs heads with comp cam roller tip 1.6 rockers. I am looking at spacers to raise the height and I think they might fit.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom