Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1 step closer....

J

Johnnykretentiv

Warning - Very little actual content contained in this post. I am just really excited.

Last year I was seriously considering a C5. I took the responsible route and got a sedan since we needed a regular car (2005 Jag X-Type ). But I still want a VETTE!!!!! Not that I am not loving the Jag cause it is a pleasure to drive (and fast!). But I need a Vette, I'm sure you all understand.

My wife sees me staring at every single Vette that drives buy and just shakes her head. She knows I love the cars but still thinks I am a little silly. But today right out of the blue she said, "We should buy a Vette. Not a NEW one but a decent older one. But first you need to build a shed so we can store all of our garage junk somewhere else so we have room for your OUR baby."!!!!!!! Gotta love that situation :)

So we are now going to begin a quest to find a decent (not perfect by any means) C4 (1988 - 1993) for around $10,000. I am guessing by late next Spring we will be cruising with the top off. I have to wait until I have the shed taken care of after all.

I will start with some general questions.

1.) Will we be able to find something reliable and in that price range?
2.) What are the some of the spots I should look for that are specific to C4s?
3.) Does anyone have expereince with the Tuff Sheds from Home Depot (or similar). I'm looking for something about 10' x 12' x 8'.

Now where is that darn cement mixer and nail gun??

EDIT ----- I did the deed on 5/5/07.

Here is the shed

IMG_0045.jpg

And the car

IMG_0055.sized.jpg

Well, first off welcome! Secondly your wife sounds like a keeper. Thirdly, yes you should be able to find a decent C4 for that kind of money. Issues? well if you go to the later C4's (92 & up) you will get the LT1 (or LT4 in the case of 1996 with 6 speed) engine that has the opti-Spark. These can be a pain, but don't shy away from them because of the opti. The LTx engines are stout and will go faster and have more power than anyone really needs (if you stay within the speed limits;)). I would suggest to you that you buy the book by Michael Antonick "Corvette Spec 1984-1996". Very well worth the price (about $30 I think) because it takes you through each model year, explaining the differences and changes made, options available, etc. I nearly wore mine out before I bought my 94.

And of course read here all the different posts and you will learn a ton. I only found CAC after I bought mine. But I am still very pleased with my car. Good luck and keep us posted on your search.

I'm gonna buy that book - pronto! It'll keep me occupied for a while. I would love a 1993. It holds great sentimental value for me.

I sure am glad I found CAC prior to the purchase.

I built my theater before I found www.avsforum.com (Kinda like CAC for Home Theater types). I could have saved myself a lot of trouble. The scary thing is some of those folks on that forum spend the equivilant of the very, very very nice vette collection ($500K+) on a Home Theater!!! To each his own I guess.

Thanks for the help!

Thanks - Things seem pretty staightforward here. Little stuff like the antenna and lazy-eye are ones I have not thought about. My TA had lazy-eye, that drove me bonkers!!!!!! I have never purchased a car that was 15 - 20 years old. So looking at the belts and hoses will be new for me.

This should be fun :)

Thanks again

The car seems to be pretty well covered. Let's talk about the barn. I spent a lot of time looking for some kind of storage to keep flamables and lawn/garden gear out of the garage. I found you get more for your money with a "barn builder" rather than one of the big companies.

If you just look at prices, you don't see the better quality and that you get more for your money. I also had them add extra overhead storage when they were building it for little additional money.

I saved a few bucks by providing a level spot to build. They came in the morning and by supper I had a 12x18 done and ready to paint.

Where should you look? Look everywhere, they are everywhere. Pick up the Corvette Trader magazine you find in quite a few gas stations. You should also check all the online forums as they have huge sections with cars for sale.

Also, check out: www.corvettecollection.com as they have a lot of Corvette's (I know because it's right across the street from a gun range I frequent).

You should be able to get a good car for between 10-12000.00 I bought a 91 Convertible in great shape for that and found it thru one of the internet sites. It was a local car.

In my experience (not much, 9 months worth):

1) You get what you pay for. I got mine for $8,000, but I've had to put $2000 in it just to get it running like it should, and reliable. I probably should have bought a $10,000 car instead, although I wouldn't know as much about the engine, radio, shocks, and headlight motors if I did... :)

2) Find a local corvette club, go to a meeting, and talk to the drivers. They will have lots of information, and you can probably see the different styles, transmissions, coupes, convertibles, colors, etc... and make your choices from there. Plus, corvette owners are really loyal people when it comes to their cars. If you love corvettes, you'll be welcomed right in.

THanks Everyone!
I have just confirmed "clearance" from all of my nieghbors on building the shed. Everyone is totally cool with the deal. Especially when I tell them why I am building it :)

I have looked at some of the larger sheds with the upper storage. Those things are sweet! My three year old thought it was going to be his new bedroom. I told him that is where dad wil be sleeping if he makes mom angry.

Thanks for all the follow ups. There are quite a few C4s out there in my price range.

If I were in your position I would already be out there with the tools building that shed.
I didn't find this site till after I bought my vette. It could have saved me a lot of second guessing had I found it first .
Start looking for one before the shed is even finished. You want to be able to take your time.

Glenn
:w

You are all lucky guys. By a Vette for $10.000. Here in Brazil I had to pay the equivalent to $40.000 to by my 91 and was not the one I was trying to buy. Mine is automatic, I wanted a manual but could not find. The one I bought was the best I could do with that money.

Beleive me I want to start looking for my car NOW :D!!! I just don't want to come across as a tire kicker cause I know I cannot buy one until all my pre-requisites are filled ;)

This site is a god send. And an addiction.

There is a place in Appleton WI that specializes in vettes and actually my brother in-law works next to a place called Corvette Specialties in Blaine MN. He's a mechanic and works for the owner in one of his other shops. I think he's the guy to talk to.

$40,000 is a lot of dough for a 91 but I guess there aren't many there. I'm sure you are a proud owner.

Yes, yes, and yes!!!!

Warning - Very little actual content contained in this post. I am just really excited.

Last year I was seriously considering a C5. I took the responsible route and got a sedan since we needed a regular car (2005 Jag S-Type R). But I still want a VETTE!!!!! Not that I am not loving the Jag cause it is a pleasure to drive (and fast!). But I need a Vette, I'm sure you all understand.

My wife sees me staring at every single Vette that drives buy and just shakes her head. She knows I love the cars but still thinks I am a little silly. But today right out of the blue she said, "We should buy a Vette. Not a NEW one but a decent older one. But first you need to build a shed so we can store all of our garage junk somewhere else so we have room for your OUR baby."!!!!!!! Gotta love that situation :)

So we are now going to begin a quest to find a decent (not perfect by any means) C4 (1988 - 1993) for around $10,000. I am guessing by late next Spring we will be cruising with the top off. I have to wait until I have the shed taken care of after all.

3.) Does anyone have expereince with the Tuff Sheds from Home Depot (or similar). I'm looking for something about 10' x 12' x 8'.

I bought my first and current 1989 for less than $9,000and it came from my dealer with a 6 month, 10,000 mile unconditional warranty. After 3 days the heater core went out and he paid for the repair and the tow. Everyone I have met that uses this dealer (Conte's Covette in New Jersey) has said the same about him standing behind every sale. I live in Florida now and when I need a new one I will make the trip back to NJ and buy from him. His web site is; http://www.contes.com/

I bought my first and current 1989 for less than $9,000and it came from my dealer with a 6 month, 10,000 mile unconditional warranty. After 3 days the heater core went out and he paid for the repair and the tow. Everyone I have met that uses this dealer (Conte's Covette in New Jersey) has said the same about him standing behind every sale. I live in Florida now and when I need a new one I will make the trip back to NJ and buy from him. His web site is; http://www.contes.com/

It's good to hear something positive about a car deal once in a while.

So it looks like you have used a "TufShed" too. Worht the money? They seem to be quite a deal.

Last year I was seriously considering a C5. I took the responsible route and got a sedan since we needed a regular car (2005 Jag S-Type R). But I still want a VETTE!!!!! Not that I am not loving the Jag cause it is a pleasure to drive (and fast!). But I need a Vette, I'm sure you all understand.

1993 Coupe (17576) 1993 Quasar Blue Coupe With FX-3
Quasar Blue/Gray Leather, Automatic, Dual Power Seats, Electronic Air Conditioning, Bose CD/Cassette Player, FX-3 Adjustable Suspension, Performance Axle, 1 of 683 Corvettes Produced in 1993 in Quasar Blue Metallic-Last Year of C4 Production For Quasar Blue Metallic-Striking Color
26,000 Miles .... $18,900

1984 Coupe (21072)
Red/Red Leather, Automatic, Power Driver's Seat, Power Door Locks, Cruise Control, Heavy Duty Radiator, Rear Window and Side Mirror Defoggers, Glass Top, One Owner, Factory Window Sticker, Factory Original Paint/In Need of Paint
41,000 Miles .... $7,900

Well, consider your search OH-ver!!!! Just hightail it down to Maitland, Florida to Roger's Corvette and get A. an early C4 that's way under your 10-grand budget or B. that nice, low-mileage '93 that's a bit over your budget, but worth it. (Just like mine too. If it was 'vert, I'd buy it myself) See, just look around, there're plenty of C4s out there. One's out there with y'all's names on it!!! Good Luck!!! :w

Just keep surfing the net. I looked for almost two years before I found mine. There are lots of sites that have Corvettes for sale. You will find lots and lots of cars in your price range. Just because you don't plan to buy immediately doesn't mean you can't see what they are selling for around the country.

I still like to surf those sites just to see what's out there, not that I'm interested anymore, I just love looking at Corvettes.

Good luck with the search, it's alot of fun. Driving your very own Corvette, now that's priceless!!

Jim

Believe me I have been surfing the web for the last month or two but now I know there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

I have narrowed it down to (at this second anyway) - I love the 91-93 body style. 94 -96 tend to be a tad bit high in the price range.

My dream ---1993 Ruby Red (doesn't need the Ruby package) just the color. Is that possible?

91-94 Polo Green - matches my Mustang (I can say that word right?:))

91 - 94 Yellow - Yellow rocks but is pretty rare

91 - 94 Red - Can't go wrong with Red

91 - 94 Black - matches my Jag

I have found several in Ruby with higher miles in my range. I love black but I already have a black car. It's hard enough keeping that thing clean and shiny. I couldn't imagine having two black cars. I would be seeing swirl marks in my sleep:crazy!!!!

The 40th Anniv. has a special place in my heart. It was the first vette that I ever drove (18 at the time). I was just amazed by how it made me feel.

Back to the classifieds.....

I believe that the only Ruby (color) 93's were the anniversary editions, so i think if you find a "Ruby" it will have the ruby interior as well. I know what you mean about Black and keeping them clean, that's why I bought a white one.

I believe that the only Ruby (color) 93's were the anniversary editions, so i think if you find a "Ruby" it will have the ruby interior as well. I know what you mean about Black and keeping them clean, that's why I bought a white one.

Thanks I'll investigate that. I think you are right. There is a "Ruby" Registry on the web and I'll see what they say. Either way theree are quite a few out there up for grabs.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom