Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1 Wire Alternator

C

cmegga

I had my alternator crap out on me last night. So I finally have my chance to put a nice shinney chome one on.

I ordered the 100 amp, 1 wire unit. I have never done this conversion before. Im wondering what I do with the other wires. I have 4 or five wires grounded to the alt. Im assuming the new one will still have a ground post, and I know the 1 wire runns to my main puwer cable from the old.

My question is what to I do with the other two wires that ran into the side of the origonal alt. ??? I have a red and a white wire in the same plug which seem to be coming from the igniotion(MDS 6A). Can I just cap them off and tuck them away, or do they need to be connected some where ??

Thanks for the link Johnz, but

I need to get this sucker up in running asap, as my daily car is in the shop. I had the alternator overnighted yesterday so she should be there when I get home. I have not time wait on the a adapter, plus I hoping I wont need all these wire running to it anyway.

If anyone knows how to correctly hook this sucker up with out a harness let me know.

I PUT A ONE WIRE UNIT FROM SUMMIT RACING ON MY '77. I JUST HOOKED THE POWER WIRE TO THE MAIN BATTERY POST ON THE NEW ALT. THE FIELD WIRES (THE TWO IN THE LITTLE PLUG THAT SNAP INTO THE REAR OUTTER PERIMETER OF THE OLD ALT) ARE NO LONGER NEEDED. A ONE WIRE ALT HAS ITS OWN FIELD SYSTEM WITH VOLTAGE REGULATOR INTERNALLY. JUST WRAP UP THE OLD PLUG AND DON'T WORRY ABOUT HOOKING IT UP. MINE WORKS FINE THIS WAY. THERE IS JUICE RUNNING TO THAT PLUG, SO MAKE SURE IT IS INSULATED WELL. OTHER THAN THAT, ENJOY BUT KEEP AN EYE ON THE VOLTS FOR A LITTLE WHILE. GOOD LUCK, BRIAN

Thanks for the feed back, it seems to work fine with out them hooked up. I just wanted to make sure I wasnt going to create a problems down the road.

How has the summit alt been working out for you ?? Its most likley the same one I ordered, I also got it from summit. Let me know how long youve had it.

Some people warned me that the chrome alts arent usually built as well as a standard unit. I guess Ill just have to see.

AKRAY4PLAY said:
I PUT A ONE WIRE UNIT FROM SUMMIT RACING ON MY '77. I JUST HOOKED THE POWER WIRE TO THE MAIN BATTERY POST ON THE NEW ALT. THE FIELD WIRES (THE TWO IN THE LITTLE PLUG THAT SNAP INTO THE REAR OUTTER PERIMETER OF THE OLD ALT) ARE NO LONGER NEEDED. A ONE WIRE ALT HAS ITS OWN FIELD SYSTEM WITH VOLTAGE REGULATOR INTERNALLY. JUST WRAP UP THE OLD PLUG AND DON'T WORRY ABOUT HOOKING IT UP. MINE WORKS FINE THIS WAY. THERE IS JUICE RUNNING TO THAT PLUG, SO MAKE SURE IT IS INSULATED WELL. OTHER THAN THAT, ENJOY BUT KEEP AN EYE ON THE VOLTS FOR A LITTLE WHILE. GOOD LUCK, BRIAN

What do you do with the two wires that connect to the other post/terminal on the back of the existing (mine is an 82) alternator. I think I understand that the wire that has the rubber cap just connects to the alternator, but, again, the other two wires? I understand about just putting the plastic connector aside.

CMEGGA,
I HAVE NOT HEARD ANYTHING AS FAR POOR QUALITY IN THE CHROME UNITS FROM SUMMIT. I WENT WITH THE BLACK POWDER COATED MAGNUM UNIT. IT HAS BEEN ON THE CAR FOR TWO MONTHS AND NO PROBLEMS YET. IT SEEMS TO HANDLE THE 7000RPM PULLS QUITE NICELY. I JUST WISH THE POWER STEERING PUMP WAS AS FRIENDLY.

LARRY,
I AM NOT SURE HOW THE '82'S ARE WIRED. IN GENERAL, ALTERNATORS ARE EITHER THREE WIRE OR ONE WIRE. THREE WIRE UNITS HAVE ONE BATTERY LEAD AND TWO FIELD LEADS. THE FIELD LEADS ARE USED TO CONTROL THE VOLTAGE REGULATOR. IT IS POSSIBLE THAT YOU HAVE BOTH EXTERNAL VOLTAGE REGULATOR AND FIELD CONTROL WIRES?? AS FOR YOUR OTHER TWO WIRES, LOOK AT A WIRING DIAGRAM AND TRY AND FIND OUT WHAT THEY GO TO. SOME TIMES THEY CAN BE EXTRA HOT LEADS THAT RUN ALL SORTS OF STUFF, OR JUST EXTRA GROUNDING CABLES. I WILL TRY AND FIND A WIRING DIAGRAM AND HOPEFULLY GET YOU A REAL ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTION. SORRY FOR BEING SO VAUGE, BRIAN

JohnZ (or anyone that might know)... you mentioned a conversion kit.

Just curious... it sounds like all that is needed is to not use and protect the field wires / connector.

Does the conversion kit make a cleaner job of doing this or is there an electrical advantage to using the kit.

I've considered going to a single wire alternator for awhile but didn't know what all the ramifications were.

After reading this thread it sounds pretty darn simple. Just want to make sure I do it the right way as I'm sure is the case with all that have posted here.

Thx.

I was going to do this on a street rod I was building and talked to a number of top automotive electrical people. Almost to a one, they say that they are a bad idea. Especially on a performance engine. You gauge will not work well with a one wire if at all. They all said that either a PowerMaster or actually a 94 amp unit from, I believe a '94 Camaro, are the best units. I can look at what I put on the street rod and let you know the unit type if anyone would like.

Hey Hijinx, I am interested in knowing what you've got.

If I'm gonna do it I prefer to do it right the first time and not have to worry about it ever again.

Thanks in advance...

IT BEEN ABOUT 5 DAYS NOW AND NO ISSUES.

I ONLY HOOKED UP THE BATERY CABLE AND 3 OR 4 GROUNDS THAT WERE ON THE ORIGONAL ( FOR SAFE KEEPING ). THE OTHER TWO WIRES FOR THE VOLTAGE REGULATOR I JUST CAPPED OFF AND TUCKED THEM AWAY.

SHES WOKING GREAT ALL LIGHTS AND GUAGES FULLY FUNCTIONAL, THE 100 AMP REALLY KICKED MY STERIO IN !! OTHER THEN THAT EVERTHING ELSE SEEMS THE SAME, I THINK THE WINDOWS MAY BE A BIT FASTER NOW TOO, BUT WHO REALLY KNOWS.

Thanks for the status and glad to hear all is working well.

I might just have to upgrade sooner than I had planned. I've been adding power hungry accessories and some extra electrons flowing thru them wires will be a good thing.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom