Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

$1200 Reman Diff Leaking!

74bigblock

Corvette
2008 Z06
I finally got my nuts and bolts in from Paragon (Ordered Saturday at Bloomington, got here Thursday; Thank you Paragon!).

This all started with a bad T-Arm bearing. See the following post that leads up to this:
http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69330

Decided tonight was the night to put the diff back in. Filled it with a bottle of Delco rear end fluid and got half way thru the bottle of posi additive and then saw this:

attachment.php

To put it politely, I am agitated. We will see what these folks have to say in the morning... they are getting a copy of this picture, as well as a picture of the flimsy box they sent the diff in (mind you it was just thrown in the box... it was not strapped down in any way). They still haven't shipped out my T-arms, half shafts, strut rods, etc... over two weeks after I ordered. They said maybe the 5th they will go out.

:mad

Here is the letter I wrote:
74bigblock said:
XXXXXXX.

I have a major problem with the Differential you sent me. I have attached some pictures for you to review. I am upset to say the least. Mind you I am supposed to be showing this vehicle on 7/21-22 in my area's largest local show this year, and I now have zero working parts which I ordered from you three weeks ago, which you said would ship within the first week and a half.

A) The Diff. you sent me is very difficult to turn, and gets hooked on something once per full revolution.
B) The pinion flange seal is leaking like Niagra Falls.
C) The box you shipped the Diff. in arrived damaged.
D) The box was not re-inforced properly with wood on all sides (except the top).
E) The Diff was not secured in the box when your company shipped it to me.

Please review the attached photos and let me know how you would like to resolve these issues.

Regards,

--
David Gordon

Dave,

I am sorry this happened to you. I've been trying to warn people. I get warned at CF, and then a threatening letter from our least favorite person, and I promised Rob I would not drag it over here to CAC. I also asked Rob to remove my administator status in case there was any conflicting interest.
Did you pay by credit card or have any other recourse? Is there anything I can do to help you out.

Mike
www.classiccorvetteparts.vstore.ca

74bigblock said:
To put it politely, I am agitated. We will see what these folks have to say in the morning... they are getting a copy of this picture, as well as a picture of the flimsy box they sent the diff in (mind you it was just thrown in the box... it was not strapped down in any way). They still haven't shipped out my T-arms, half shafts, strut rods, etc... over two weeks after I ordered. They said maybe the 5th they will go out.

:mad

This doesn't look like a crisis yet at all!

Is there a seal behind that yoke? Perhaps someone forgot it during assembly. If there is, perhaps it's not the correct size for that yoke. It could be that simple.

They should definately address the packing issue, but if there was no damage (I would not attribute the leak to packing in any way), then compose yourself and look things over real well.

Stingray6974 said:
Dave,

I am sorry this happened to you. I've been trying to warn people. I get warned at CF, and then a threatening letter from our least favorite person, and I promised Rob I would not drag it over here to CAC. I also asked Rob to remove my administator status in case there was any conflicting interest.
Did you pay by credit card or have any other recourse? Is there anything I can do to help you out.

Mike
www.classiccorvetteparts.vstore.ca

Mike,

I'm going to give them the chance to make this right before I get audibly angry with them. I paid my Debit Mastercard... so this is not something I can dispute with my bank, should it escalate. It is considered a cash transaction (I don't use credit cards). There is really nothing you can do at this point... If I need to find another vendor, it will be local so I can inspect and pick up in person. VTech is about an hour from me. I've had freinds with good experiances with them. We will see what the Duntov Motor Company says first.

Thanks again for the warning and part options.

Dave

pws69 said:
This doesn't look like a crisis yet at all!

Is there a seal behind that yoke? Perhaps someone forgot it during assembly. If there is, perhaps it's not the correct size for that yoke. It could be that simple.

They should definately address the packing issue, but if there was no damage (I would not attribute the leak to packing in any way), then compose yourself and look things over real well.

pws,

Perhaps they did forget the seal, but it doesn't explain why the gears get hung up once every full revolution, now does it?

Further, I am in crisis, because I have a show in 3 weeks and have no trailing arms, no diff, no half shafts, no brake lines, no brake rotors... basically, all I do have is the sway bars and the nuts n bolts. Those came from other sources.

74bigblock said:
pws,

Perhaps they did forget the seal, but it doesn't explain why the gears get hung up once every full revolution, now does it?

Further, I am in crisis, because I have a show in 3 weeks and have no trailing arms, no diff, no half shafts, no brake lines, no brake rotors... basically, all I do have is the sway bars and the nuts n bolts. Those came from other sources.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to trivialize your issue - just trying to help as I too get extremely agitated with less than quality work.

How badly does it "hang up"? I would still want to see what's behind that yoke - could hold all of your answers (except for the packaging, obviously).

Dig in - what could it hurt. You might be ready on time!

2 things come to mind regarding the leak. Regarding the pinion seal...there is a small step behind the seal, so the seal is not suppose to sit flush (bottom out) where is resides. I just replaced this seal at which time I also used permatex #2 around the outer edge of the seal to ensure no leakage. Also, it is advisable to put some permatex #2 on the pinion splines behind the pinion nut. If the person who rebuilt the rear did not take into account these two things, a leak ofter results even after a fresh rebuild.

:ugh <--my reaction when seeing the pic

wtf...hope they stand up and fix that. no way should that be leaking like that, nor should gears be hanging. i don't blame you for being ****ed

I just ordered both "new" t-arms from the same company. I discussed the assemblies in grest detail with Alan before ordering. He promised shipment this week, I should receive them next week, depending on UPS. After reading your post, I'm very interested in your problem , timeframe and quality. Hopefully they will resolve this to your satisfaction. I paid with "credit card" so I might have recourse if I have problems.
Keep us posted.....good luck.

Send it back, by all means don't remove the nut or it'll become your problem.

Id go with V Tech I bought parts from him and im happy with the quality and he has assemblys in stock ready to ship.

dk1977 said:
I just ordered both "new" t-arms from the same company. I discussed the assemblies in grest detail with Alan before ordering. He promised shipment this week, I should receive them next week, depending on UPS. After reading your post, I'm very interested in your problem , timeframe and quality. Hopefully they will resolve this to your satisfaction. I paid with "credit card" so I might have recourse if I have problems.
Keep us posted.....good luck.

DK I ordered my "new" T-arm assemblies on 6/15 and they still haven't shipped. They promised me a complete shipment within a week and a half. FYI. Let me know if you run into any issues.

lucky76 said:
Send it back, by all means don't remove the nut or it'll become your problem.

I touched NOTHING! :D

Big Block- I plan on following up by phone Tuesday morning. Will post results.
Good luck!

It's possible it has the wrong seal in it. The DTS bearing kits come with two seals. One for corvette and one for 12 bolt car rear ends. The gears binding is a whole different issue. It sounds like it was assembled by someone who had no idea what they were doing.

Mike
Classiccorvetteparts

gmjunkie said:
Don't!! There Can't be a seal in it!! Even if there was a bad seal,or no #2 permatex in it it can't leak that Bad that Quick!! Even if it got Droped on Yolk and Bent Shaft!!:ugh P.S. It was Great to Meet Edmond and Your Self, Gess we should of took Yavette on Road Tour!! and then meet Edmond at Show Later, or Stuffed him in the back,he's a little smaller than you!! Great Guy though, and so is his Dad!! Man I got Cooked!! :upthumbs gmjuinkie

Junk,

Absolutely great to meet you. Hope you enjoyed your road trip vacation! Too bad I didn't get to meet Edmond, but we are local enough... we will get together soon.

I ain't touching the diff. I even but the empty diff fluid bottle back in the box as a statement. Have a great 4th!

Bigblock, FYI..
I spoke with DMC/FC this am and sure enough, my t-arms weren't shipped last week, they aren't even put together yet. Should ship "this week". I voiced my displeasure, but only got excuses....... Now I don't know what to do... I'm concerned now with the "quality" based on your current experience....

dk1977 said:
Bigblock, FYI..
I spoke with DMC/FC this am and sure enough, my t-arms weren't shipped last week, they aren't even put together yet. Should ship "this week". I voiced my displeasure, but only got excuses....... Now I don't know what to do... I'm concerned now with the "quality" based on your current experience....

Oh really... they haven't even called me back yet!

I just spoke to my bank again... Turns out they can get my money back. I have to ship back any items sent to me by fastcorvette.com and provide the bank with said tracking information. Then the bank fills out the fraud forms from Mastercard, and 10 business days later I have my $3400 back!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom