Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

16" tires

boomdriver

Corvette
87 z-51
Stock tire size on the 87 is 255/50/16.

years ago i had a set of 315 michelin XGTs that were great. No rubbing but they looked like Fred Flintstones car from the rear...

Those are no longer available.
Does anybody know of a 16" tire thats available that is slightly wider than the 255 with a little less sidewall profile, perhaps more like 40 or 45?

I am TRYING to keep the original appearance, but the limited 16" tire choices may force me to 17"...and then zo6 brakes, a new rear bumper...bankruptcy....:rotfl;help

Sadly...there are fewer and fewer choices for high-performance tires in 255/50VR16, the early C4 size.

A little over two-years ago, I got a set of Dunlop SP Sport 8000s in 255/50VR16. At the time, the tire was one of the few true high-performance tires in that size left on the market.

After evaluating the tires for about 8 months, in January of 2009, I wrote a product review which we had posted here on the CAC for several months. Then, about the middle of last year, Dunlop discontinued the Sport 8000 in that size, so the review was deleted. The demise of the Dunlop was, IMO, unfortunate because the tire performed well in my testing.

At this point in time, early-April 2010, I'm not sure what manufacturers stil have true high-performance tires available in the early C4 size. I do recall that, at the time I acquired the Dunlops, the Goodrich brand still had a tire available in that size. I'm not sure if that's still the case.

Good luck.

Yes, BFG still has a couple options, but, only in the stock size.I'm going to do some searching this week and see what I can find. I know a set of 17 sawblades would solve the problem.....then that would need some nice tires and then big brakes...and you know what comes next.
Started out I just wanted some tires. If I have to buy 17s, it'll be brakes and who knows what else.

At this point in time, early-April 2010, I'm not sure what manufacturers still have true high-performance tires available in the early C4 size.

They do still make the BF Goodrich G-force Sport http://www.1010tires.com/tire.asp?tirebrand=BFGoodrich&tiremodel=g%2DForce+Sport

I also like these W speed rated Toyos
Toyo Proxes R888 Tires - Tire Size & Price Details - 1010tires.com

I havent driven on them...but they certainly have one sexy tread pattern! I wonder though just how they can peform in ANY rain! They supposedly are designed for it...but the tread pattern scares me as much as I find it seductive!:chuckle

Not true high peformance but:
I DO have these Yokohama's on another car and like them even in light snow but they are a bit noisy...but on my Vette the exhaust would certainly drown that out.
Yokohama AVID V4S Tires - Tire Size & Price Details - 1010tires.com

:w

Darn...that Toyo is a sexy tire !
I like the heck outta that and plan on finding someone to order those..!
Thanks, I appreciate the help! I was close to accepting the BFG as the only decent tire thats readily available.

I drive the vette in all sorts of weird weather and hope they do well in rain
I look forward to your review then :beer

That is of course unless I "commit myself" and buy a set. They seem worth it just for sunny days!:w

well, I'm working on a time-line an vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvb Trying to get back on the Budget right now....I got the info/est on paint, approx $4000 to completely strip the paint with me droping off the car minus the trim, moulding, and weather strip in some areas.

Then, do I take some sexy 16 or go to a 92-96 -17" sawblade and get a lower profile tire? The 17 also allows me many more options on brakes. Lots of big brakes available to 17" rims.
Corvette Yellow with the graphite/black 2-tone interior?

OR
That interior as described, and do a dark smoke grey/silver metalic or smoke silver/Blue.

still got a couple weeks to decide.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom