Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

17 inch wheels on my 69

Corvette
1969 Black Coupe
I am looking to put a set of 17's on my otherwise stock 69. What do I need for backspacing and tire size?? I am looking at a 7" or 8" wide wheel.

Thanks
Mike

17X8 will work all around. 4" backspacing. 0 offset. 5X4 3/4 bolt pattern. You can go wider in the rear but you may need to relocate the brake bracket.

crf311 said:
17X8 will work all around. 4" backspacing. 0 offset. 5X4 3/4 bolt pattern. You can go wider in the rear but you may need to relocate the brake bracket.
Use 255/50/17 tires all around and you'll be ok!

groovyjay said:
Use 255/50/17 tires all around and you'll be ok!
This is not always true. I definately cannot run 255/50/17 up front. I have successfully run 245/45/17 and am currently running 255/45/17 with a little rubbing. I think there is more room on the later model sharks.

You are absolutely correct, my bad I didn't check what year we were talking about. There's more room on later sharks.

How about on a 71?

groovyjay said:
You are absolutely correct, my bad I didn't check what year we were talking about. There's more room on later sharks.

I've been searching for help on this topic for my 71. I'm almost done replacing the whole front end and will replace the rear spring real soon. Once done it's time to ditch the bias ply tires that came with the car and store the stock rally wheels.

I don't want to go real fat on the tires but something more modern would be great. I've gotten used to the wide tires and larger rims on my Z06.

My 78 Pace Car had 255/60/15's on it but based on your quote above the 71 might have less room?

I have three questions

1) What would be a guaranteed fit for the 71 with 17 inch wheels? Tire size, wheel width, backspace, offset.
2) What brand/style wheels are people running beside the American Racing Torquer Thrust 2's
3) What brand tire will give me the best straight sidewall look? i.e. not ballooning

Thanks in advance.

Whiplash

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom