Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1953 Sebring race date/LeMay 1953 Corvette/Duntov/Cole

Barn53

Corvette
I would like to expound on why I asked about the date of the Sebring race in 1953, in the thread just below. I found a Duntov quote in a book titled "Corvette Sports Car Superstar" by the auto editors of "Consumer Guide." They ask, "Why did you leave Allard and join G.M." Duntov replied, "I wished to return to America. I had talked to an American General who was stationed in England, and he told me to write to Ed Cole at Chevrolet. I did, but it was not promising. I found a position with Fairchild Aviation, and after I had been in the States for some time, I sent to Ed Cole a copy of a research report on high-performance engines that I had written. We discussed salary and benefits for some time before I accepted. I came to GM in May 1953."

Now, the man who owned my car, (had gotten the parts from LeMay) named Ivins, told me in 1972 or 1973 that he attended the 1953 Sebring Race with LeMay and a Lt. Gen. Francis Griswold and met Duntov for the first time. Griswold was the general who in England talked to Duntov and introduced Duntov to Ed Cole at that race. Now, I don't think anyone has ever heard this before, but Ivins said they called Duntov "Stupe" or "Stoop", for Stupid, because of his slow Russian accent. He said Duntov was a little hard to get along with, a little owlly and growlly.

It sure seems to me that the timeline would be right for what Ivins told me so many years ago, that if they met around March 8 that Duntov could be hired by May. What I'd like to know is if anyone has seen any articles that would bear out what I just wrote. I have heard that in Ludvigson's book, "Corvette America's Star Spangled Sports Car," that he tells of this meeting. I have never seen this book. I've also heard that Duntov mentions it in a book or article he wrote.

Thanks for any more help you fellas can give me.

Wishing

First, try a little harder to explain WHY Ed Cole and a yet-to-be-hired foreign engineer would be at a race held 3 months before the 1st Corvette rolled off the line.
The race where LeMay and his staff got involved with Corvette at Sebring was 1956. I have a copy of a letter from Rosey Rosenberger, Chief of Chevrolet's Experimental Section, to Read Tilley, thanking him for his volunteered assistance the night before the race. Col. Tilley was then serving as General LeMay's Public Information Officer and they had flown into Sebring the day before the race to "evaluate the airport facilities".
The real interesting thing is that Duntov was NOT at Sebring; in the last meeting in December, he had advised Chevrolet NOT to enter because of the car's brakes, etc.; Cole immediately put Rosey Rosenberger in charge to work with John Fitch and sentenced Duntov to provide any parts requested by Fitch/Rosenberger.

(PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME WHY THE POST PRESENTED FOR EDITING READS "held 3 months" but when saved shows up as "held held 3months"?)

I would like to expound on why I asked about the date of the Sebring race in 1953, in the thread just below. I found a Duntov quote in a book titled "Corvette Sports Car Superstar" by the auto editors of "Consumer Guide." They ask, "Why did you leave Allard and join G.M." Duntov replied, "I wished to return to America. I had talked to an American General who was stationed in England, and he told me to write to Ed Cole at Chevrolet. I did, but it was not promising. I found a position with Fairchild Aviation, and after I had been in the States for some time, I sent to Ed Cole a copy of a research report on high-performance engines that I had written. We discussed salary and benefits for some time before I accepted. I came to GM in May 1953."

Now, the man who owned my car, (had gotten the parts from LeMay) named Ivins, told me in 1972 or 1973 that he attended the 1953 Sebring Race with LeMay and a Lt. Gen. Francis Griswold and met Duntov for the first time. Griswold was the general who in England talked to Duntov and introduced Duntov to Ed Cole at that race. Now, I don't think anyone has ever heard this before, but Ivins said they called Duntov "Stupe" or "Stoop", for Stupid, because of his slow Russian accent. He said Duntov was a little hard to get along with, a little owlly and growlly.

It sure seems to me that the timeline would be right for what Ivins told me so many years ago, that if they met around March 8 that Duntov could be hired by May. What I'd like to know is if anyone has seen any articles that would bear out what I just wrote. I have heard that in Ludvigson's book, "Corvette America's Star Spangled Sports Car," that he tells of this meeting. I have never seen this book. I've also heard that Duntov mentions it in a book or article he wrote.

Thanks for any more help you fellas can give me.

I'm not sure that there necessarily has to be any connection to the Corvette at Sebring 1953 race. Maybe they were all there to watch the races......Obviously Duntov had interest in racing, pretty sure GM was interested, maybe not racing at the time.

It would be interesting to prove or disprove this story.

I thought I had a copy of the book "...Star Spangled Sports Car", but I guess I don't....I know that I have read it.

BTW Welcome to CAC Loren.:w

Loren, I think Toms01 has it right, it may not have been about Corvette at all, especiallyfor LeMay, Duntov was looking for a job. I don't see any reason at all that they shouldn't have been there. About all we can do now is speculate about why they were there, but the fact is that Cole and Duntov had to meet SOMEWHERE.

Loren, when you say, "The real interesting thing is that Duntov was NOT at Sebring," do you mean in 1954?

Loren, I think Toms01 has it right, it may not have been about Corvette at all, especiallyfor LeMay, Duntov was looking for a job. I don't see any reason at all that they shouldn't have been there. About all we can do now is speculate about why they were there, but the fact is that Cole and Duntov had to meet SOMEWHERE.

Loren, when you say, "The real interesting thing is that Duntov was NOT at Sebring," do you mean in 1954?

No, 1956.
It's YOUR story, based on a 20 year old "memory" by Mr. Ivins - now read what YOU wrote....do you really think that LeMay/Griswold would have recommended someone to Cole that they called "stupid" or "stupe"?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom