Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1953 Sebring race date

Barn53, is there a particular reason that you would like to know the dates? I went out on the Sebring website and did a search, but came up empty.

I emailed the track historian and hopefully he will get back with me with the information you asking about. When he does I'll post it here.

I emailed the track historian and hopefully he will get back with me with the information you asking about. When he does I'll post it here.

I think your on the correct track (no pun) .

I've been to Sebring and it's a real fun place to visit.:thumb I love the city and could easily live and play there.

1953 Sebring Race Date

My very first post on the forum although I have visited here on numerous occasions. I currently own a 1999 Coupe in light pewter metallic. I love Corvettes and the Corvette lifestyle. I wanted to take a crack at the question regarding the 1953 Grand Prix of Sebring race. It was held on 08/03/1953 and was won by a Chrysler entered by Briggs Cunningham.

Ok, I got a response and here is what they said.

March 8, 1953

HUMMMMMMM one post says March 8th and the other post says August 3rd. is someone dyslexec (sp) :W

I copied mine directly from the email I received from the people at Sebring.

My very first post on the forum although I have visited here on numerous occasions. I currently own a 1999 Coupe in light pewter metallic. I love Corvettes and the Corvette lifestyle. I wanted to take a crack at the question regarding the 1953 Grand Prix of Sebring race. It was held on 08/03/1953 and was won by a Chrysler entered by Briggs Cunningham.

Not far off ,I was impressed .:thumb

HUMMMMMMM one post says March 8th and the other post says August 3rd. is someone dyslexec (sp) :W

One is expressed in the American format (March 8, 1953) and the other is expressed in the European format (08/03/53, 8 March 1953). :)

One is expressed in the American format (March 8, 1953) and the other is expressed in the European format (08/03/53, 8 March 1953). :)

That makes sense :chuckle

John, that is what I was going to say. I didn't really mean that someone was dyslexec, I was just pulling someones leg. I figured out what it was when I saw it in print. It depends in what country you are in as to how you write things out. No harm meant Tom.

John, that is what I was going to say. I didn't really mean that someone was dyslexec, I was just pulling someones leg. I figured out what it was when I saw it in print. It depends in what country you are in as to how you write things out. No harm meant Tom.

None taken Mike. I thought it odd that the other was reversed, and didn't even think about the way people list dates. However I figured my post was clear as it was listed by month, day and year.....spelled out from the email I received.

Funny how things can get screwed around......:W

1953 Sebring Race Date

I believe that I have some fault as well in this; I just retired from the USN and, at least in the sub service, we wrote our dates in day-month-year format. Hard habit to break. Then throw in Zulu time and there were times I wouldn't know whether I was coming or going! My apologiesto all.

I believe that I have some fault as well in this; I just retired from the USN and, at least in the sub service, we wrote our dates in day-month-year format. Hard habit to break. Then throw in Zulu time and there were times I wouldn't know whether I was coming or going! My apologiesto all.

No need to apologize for that! Thank you for your service and I hope you enjoy retirement!!

Believe it or not, I had a guy approach me today, hoping I would give testimony as an expert witness to explain why there wasn't a significant difference between the policeman's notes in EST and the timelogs in UTC. After I stopped laughing (ie: when I realized he was serious) I suggested it shouldn't be that difficult for the cop in question to explain the concept(s) if called upon to do so.

Incidentally, my service uses an even more unusual convention for dates: year-month-day (1953-08-03) which works well for computers.

-Mac

1953 Sebring Race Date

Thank you Mac. I also served 7 years in the USAF and we used the format that you mentioned in your post. So far I have enjoyed this site, very knowledgeable members, informative, and I look forward to participating more often.

The CAC is slightly different than most of the other Corvette-related forums. The emphasis is on quality, not quantity... :)

-Mac

Thanks for all the effort fellas, I really appreciate it, and that date is around what I wanted and expected. About a year ago I introduced myself and my car (The LeMay 1953 test car) and I have discovered a few very exciting things about it. I'm going to start a new thread about why I was looking for that date, I'm tying up a few loose ends and want to corroborate as much information as I can. Once again, thank you for the help.

We are anxiously awaiting the news/info.......

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom