Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: 1959 Kingpin replacement?

It's a very simple job. Pick up a copy of the 1953-62 Corvette Servicing Guide ST-12. It will walk you through all the steps.

Jim

simple job a little time consuming but no magic not as bad as ball joints steve

The ST-12 will give you step-by-step instructions on how to do this job. There's no magic to the job. It's straightforward. It's not difficult, except for one thing. When was the last time this job was done? Mine wouldn't come out. Mine had been in there for many years, and without lubrication. I had to take the knuckles off, and bring them to a machine shop. Guy heated them, and pounded on them with a BFH tool.

The ST-12 shows a picture of a technician pounding them out from the bottom with a drift. They shouldn't need much, if any, pounding. When you go to put the new ones in, you'll find they fall out on their own through gravity. They can come out from the bottom or the top.

If you remove the knuckles, mark them. They can go on the wrong side. You'll only find this out after you've done the work to install them.

Don't feel bad. I've had my '59 since August of '69 and I still don't have a ST12. I have the old Clymers manual that is excellant and a stack of other old Chevy shop manuals that cover most of the Corvette suspension and mechanicals and have just never bought one.

Good luck on your king pin project. Mine was done just before I bought it in '69 and I haven't put many miles on it. I have changed early Ford king pins before and it was fairly straight forward. Fords require a reamer run through them once the new bushings are in place. Another one of those tools you buy and use once in a lifetime. I'm not sure about the Corvettes though.

Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom