Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1960 Cunningham Corvette #3 reunited at Le Mans 50 years later!

racelance

Corvette
95 ZR1, '05 Callaway, 2 R9G's & 2 '89 Challenge
This trip to Le Mans, France for the world’s most prestigious 24 hour race in the world this June won't be just another trip. My plan is to take our 1960 Cunningham Corvette #3 back over to Le Mans for its fiftieth anniversary – the vehicle was the first Corvette to ever win its class at Le Mans and held its title for over 40 years! My father dreamed of this effort and I’m going to follow through on his behalf. The original driver, Mr. John Fitch, now 92 years of age is still well and plans on attending the event with us.

This link shares a PDF file of the presentation I conducted last weekend in Bowling Green, KY at the National Corvette Museum that shares information on our effort: 1960 Le Mans Corvette #3 Anniversary Presentation.

This past weekend was a mind blower for me… GM ended up unveiling a 2011 VIN#00001 anniversary #3 Le Mans Corvette (one of one) – this is unheard of as you can imaging. Having GM make a one off car hasn’t happened for quite sometime… Needless to say I was thrilled to see the car last weekend and I wanted to share the enthusiasm with all of you. Check it out by clicking here.

The Corvette Exterior Design Engineer, Kirk Bennion, also handed me a poster this past weekend that really made me smile, see the image below:

1960_lemans_anniversary_poster.jpg

LIFE IS GOOD,

Lance

PS Please feel free follow us on FaceBook for to stay up-to-date with our efforts.

Congratulations. That is an amazing tribute to your #3 car. Please photo document your trip so the rest of us less fourtunate LeMans fans can also enjoy the event.

Tom

Congratulations. That is an amazing tribute to your #3 car. Please photo document your trip so the rest of us less fourtunate LeMans fans can also enjoy the event.

Tom

Tom-

Consider it done... feel free friending me on FaceBook.com is you're a user. If not, I'm going to update the Chip Miller Charitable Foundation for Amyloidosis Research website as well.

I've always wanted to go to this incredible race, but this time it should be really special! Thanks for your support.

Cheers,

Lance

Lance, how cool will that be. Can't wait for the pictures. :thumb

Thanks Tom... there will be plenty of pics & video to come!

Lance

Vette Lineage

That's great that you will do this, racelance! I wish you the best for it.
PLEASE make sure of all shipping details so nothing happens that shouldn't.

Thanks for maintaining Corvette lineage!!!! :beer

That's great that you will do this, racelance! I wish you the best for it.
PLEASE make sure of all shipping details so nothing happens that shouldn't.
Thanks for maintaining Corvette lineage!!!! :beer

Mike-

Thanks for your kind remarks. We've spent hours upon hours preparing for the shipping & etc. Hopefully we won't have any hicups, but only time will tell. The car was packed in the crate today and is headed to the port for its next journey.

Life is good,

Lance

PS I'm proud to be a part of this effort - it's going to be awesome! I'll be sure to keep everyone informed as we progress.

What a touching tribute to your Dad and thanks for involving us in your journey. Best of luck. Enjoy the ride.

What a touching tribute to your Dad and thanks for involving us in your journey. Best of luck. Enjoy the ride.

Z06Man-

My pleasure, I'm fortunate to be able to fulfill his dream.

Life is good,

Lance

Best of luck on your trip and your journey Lance. :w We will be waiting for results and photos.

Best of luck on your trip and your journey Lance. :w We will be waiting for results and photos.

Thank you, I'll be sure to keep everyone posted as we move forward.

Cheers,

Lance

Hi Lance,
Great tribute to your dad and that awesome #3. You were kind enough to give us a tour of your garage (SACC Convention 2008) that I personally will never forget. Got lots of pics of the #3.... what a gorgeous race car!

Take care on the way over and back. Pictures and details when you get back .....please!

Regards,

Fred Rice
President -Carolinas Chapter - SACC

Great conversion of your journey so far into video. I enjoyed viewing it and await the next chapter. This is a great story that I'm enjoying following. I hope you continue to enjoy the journey.

Life is indeed good for all us honored to witness this great tribute to a great car and great man. :thumb

Thanks for posting the video. I can't wait for the next installment.

Tom

Here are a few more, right after they pulled the car out of the container - LIFE IS GOOD!

As you can see in the pictures, the #3 is back on the French soil:

32511_1470265160319_1344322524_1240948_5188314_n.jpg

32511_1470264440301_1344322524_1240947_902090_n.jpg

32511_1470262200245_1344322524_1240943_7702078_n.jpg

Lance,

Glad to see the car (and you, apparently) made it across "the pond" safely. Please send my regards to John Fitch when he arrives - he used my 57 as a study booth prior to his speaking at the 2002 NCM Historic Motorama (my 57 was the alternate).

You have some fun with that '60 - but don't hit the berms too hard! ;)

Lance,

Glad to see the car (and you, apparently) made it across "the pond" safely. Please send my regards to John Fitch when he arrives - he used my 57 as a study booth prior to his speaking at the 2002 NCM Historic Motorama (my 57 was the alternate).

You have some fun with that '60 - but don't hit the berms too hard! ;)

Very cool pictures Bill - thanks for sharing!

I'm not in France just yet, we have our big Ford event this weekend and I needed to be in Carlisle for that :). However I'll leave on Tuesday of next week, fortunately I have some friends in France that are helping arrange the details and making sure everything gets accomplished.

Cheers,

Lance

Here's the latest!

Check out the following link: NY Times article.

We're starting to get world-wide coverage on our effort for the Le Mans 50th Anniversay in honor of the Corvette!

Life is good,

Lance

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom