Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1961 Corvette Paint Color

VetteFreak101

Corvette
1961 Corvette, 1989 Corvette
Having one of those delimas that I need some input on from other people. I have a 61' Corvette that is getting ready for paint and body work. Originally I was set on having it black with a silver cove. After stripping the paint, I am pretty sure that it was originally white with a silver cove (If someone would like to elaborate on how I can confirm this I would appreciate it.). The car is really mean with a 383 that is wild to say the least, which is what I wanted as an ode to the wild cams and hopped up cars of the 60's (the car was too far from original to take it back). Anyways, part of me says that black with a silver cove just says bad a#$ American muscle. The other part of me says that returning it to the way it was (White and Silver) is important. In addition, it also says sleeper car (Until I get within 3 miles and they hear the off road exhuast and the gear driven timing chain). Any thoughts on what I should do would be appreciated.

You can paint solid axels Corvettes any color that was offered during that model year. There are no codes or plates on a solid axel that provide this information. You will have to do an excellent job of removing the old paint that is now on the car. If you would like to determine the original color paint that was on your 1961, you must remove the passenger seat. Behind the seat on the bulkhead you need to scrape the paint off. (Some people have used a quarter) If the grease pencil lettering has not been removed by previous owners it will show there. Mine was written in green pencil, SILVER. Earlier cars were in the same location, but on the trunk side of the bulkhead.

Ray

Whatever color you decide it was only a 30% chance that it was two tone Vette. In other words 70% of the early Vettes were of a solid color. Two tones were not popular. Take a look at the "Route 66" TV show web page. All the Vettes over the 4 year course of the show were one color not two. :beer

1962-61a-FI-VetteA.jpg

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom