Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1961 Full Front End Removal and Replacement

VetteFreak101

Corvette
1961 Corvette, 1989 Corvette
Eckler's Corvette Parts made a technical bulletin for 1963-1967 Corvettes that gave detailed instructions on how to remove and replace the front clip. The guy that is doing the body work for my 1961 Corvette said that he cannot find one for the C1 Corvette and has talked to someone from Ecklers who believes that one does exist. Does anyone know if this document does exist? If so, can you either sell me a copy of it or direct me to a place where I can purchase it? He can do it without one, but it will make his job a little more invovled. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PS. For the C2's the document's title is: 1963-1967 Full Front End Removal and Replacement.

Thanks
Doug

I don't know of any such document. Did you look in the ST-12?

I assume you mean forward of the windshield. Leaving the windshield and door mounting points in place.

I did this once. I believe the process is to make the cuts at the parting strips. That is, split the strips off the back of the 2 panels that are joined together with the strip. That'll free up most of the front. You'll need to cut the tops of the fenders from the corners of the hood opening to the end of the fenders by the doors. I forget how the inner fender worked. I believe it was some combination of cutting and unbolting.

Be careful and do some more research on supporting the front clip. The radiator mount plays a part in this, as do the inner fenders. You need to get them right and adjusted right, or otherwise the fenders will crack at the top of the wheel well arch.

The front end already has been cut off. The reason we want to find this technical bulletin is because it simplifies the process, which means less time for him and less money for me. In addition, it also ensures that the doors fit correctly and that the front end looks good. He's replaced the front end on a 63' Split window coupe with the 63-67 Technical Bulletin from Ecklers and it made things a lot easier. The ST-12 manual does not have the kind of information he is looking for. The bulletin for the 1963-1967 Corvettes he showed me had detailed information like where to make cuts and what dimensions certain things need to be. He has painted some amazing Vettes in his time including a very cool Grand Sport Replica and I'm sure even without it he will do a great job. Just trying to help him out a little bit. I will post a picture i took last night of the C2 document. Maybe someone will recognize it and know if one exists for the C1 Corvettes.

Eckler's Corvette Parts made a technical bulletin for 1963-1967 Corvettes that gave detailed instructions on how to remove and replace the front clip. The guy that is doing the body work for my 1961 Corvette said that he cannot find one for the C1 Corvette and has talked to someone from Ecklers who believes that one does exist. Does anyone know if this document does exist? If so, can you either sell me a copy of it or direct me to a place where I can purchase it? He can do it without one, but it will make his job a little more invovled. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PS. For the C2's the document's title is: 1963-1967 Full Front End Removal and Replacement.

Thanks
Doug

Is the 1963-1967 bulletin still available?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom