Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! 1962 clutch spring

DUDLEY

Corvette
1962, ROMAN RED, FUEL INJECTED
does anyone know the secret to installing the clutch spring on the 62? As you know it's real beefy and needs to be stretched a bit to hook it.

does anyone know the secret to installing the clutch spring on the 62? As you know it's real beefy and needs to be stretched a bit to hook it.

I am in the process of installing the engine of my 65 Coupe when I get to that spring I will be using welding gloves (nice thick leather) and a brake spring installer tool. Nothing like smacking the engine or frame with your hand or wrist when you have nothing between your moving hand and Detroit Iron.

Mark.

C1 clutch spring

If I remember right, clamp one end hook in a vise, bend the spring and put a flat washer in a gap between the coils. Add several washers in the same manner to expand the spring enough to install it. First time you step on the clutch pedal all the washers will fall out.

If I remember right, clamp one end hook in a vise, bend the spring and put a flat washer in a gap between the coils. Add several washers in the same manner to expand the spring enough to install it. First time you step on the clutch pedal all the washers will fall out.

You sure took the fun out of that job.
;LOL

I am in the process of installing the engine of my 65 Coupe when I get to that spring I will be using welding gloves (nice thick leather) and a brake spring installer tool. Nothing like smacking the engine or frame with your hand or wrist when you have nothing between your moving hand and Detroit Iron.

Mark.

That "Godzilla" spring was only used on '56-'62 Corvettes; all the '65 has is a simple return spring.

:beer

That "Godzilla" spring was only used on '56-'62 Corvettes; all the '65 has is a simple return spring.

:beer
Well that is a relief, I remember one from a triple 5 (1956 Sedan Delivery) that I had, that is if I am remembering correctly! I was still a teen at the time. Thanks for your time John.

Mark.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom