Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: 1962 Corvette - How to sort/find build combinations?

wth4ua

Corvette
1962 White Convertible Red Interior
My dad purchased a 1962 Corvette off the show room floor that we are currently trying to locate. He sold it years later and unfortunately he does not have the VIN anymore, so this is basically like looking for a needle in a haystack.

1962 Corvette Production Numbers has this information but I am not able to select the specific options to see how many of that type were made.

I'm curious if there is a website somewhere that lists all of the 1962's and allows you to sort based on color, engine, interior, transmission, etc? Trying to narrow down how many were made unique to his.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome to the CAC
Chevrolet didn't retain build records for Corvettes back then. They do have the number of each option and a few of the colors that were produced but not combinations. Without the VIN or any original paperwork it is truly like looking for a needle in a haystack. It might be listed on the C1 Registry or maybe there would be NCRS judging records if the car was ever judged, but that would still require a VIN to search. The NCRS 1953-1967 Corvette Specification Guide gives the production numbers by option. It is available from the NCRS store or through most Corvette parts houses like Corvette Central. I assume your dad still remembers the color inside and out, the top color and if it had a hardtop. Also the engine, trans, rear end ratio and if it was a positraction, radio, power windows, full wheel covers, white wall tires or black. Answers to these questions would cover most of the 1962 Corvettes built with the exception of the low number with racing options. The name of the person he sold it to would be a place to start a search if it's known. If you could answer the questions I listed, I could at least give you a number for those options. Also, if you know what time of year he bought the car you can eliminate any like appearing car built after that approximate date. Once you put together a hypothetical car based on the information that you know, go to the C1 Registry and search the listings for like cars. Some will not know the original color or engine and some will have pictures and even some additional info listed. Of course, many are not on the registry. Who knows, you might get lucky.

Tom

Last edited:
Welcome to the CAC
Chevrolet didn't retain build records for Corvettes back then. They do have the number of each option and a few of the colors that were produced but not combinations. Without the VIN or any original paperwork it is truly like looking for a needle in a haystack. It might be listed on the C1 Registry or maybe there would be NCRS judging records if the car was ever judged, but that would still require a VIN to search. The NCRS 1953-1967 Corvette Specification Guide gives the production numbers by option. It is available from the NCRS store or through most Corvette parts houses like Corvette Central. I assume your dad still remembers the color inside and out, the top color and if it had a hardtop. Also the engine, trans, rear end ratio and if it was a positraction, radio, power windows, full wheel covers, white wall tires or black. Answers to these questions would cover most of the 1962 Corvettes built with the exception of the low number with racing options. The name of the person he sold it to would be a place to start a search if it's known. If you could answer the questions I listed, I could at least give you a number for those options. Also, if you know what time of year he bought the car you can eliminate any like appearing car built after that approximate date. Once you put together a hypothetical car based on the information that you know, go to the C1 Registry and search the listings for like cars. Some will not know the original color or engine and some will have pictures and even some additional info listed. Of course, many are not on the registry. Who knows, you might get lucky.

Tom
Hey Tom, thank you!

I do have some answers for the questions above.
  • White exterior color
  • Red interior color
  • AM Radio, signal seeking
  • Base model convertible, with the auxiliary hardtop
  • 3-speed manual transmission
  • 250HP
  • Positraction rear axle, 3.36:1
He purchased at Gene Crump Chevrolet in Tuscumbia, AL, Fall of 61 or Spring 62. So that takes out VINs 112036 through 114531.

I've been on the C1 registry, and you are correct, many are not on the list, but I was able to narrow the ones that are registered down a bit based on the information above.

I spoke with my county courthouse and while they do not have records dating back into the 60s, they did say they could look up a vehicle based on the VIN to see if it was ever registered in my county. I have a list of 23 vehicles from the C1 registry that are white/red/250hp that I'm going to see if they can run the VIN and see if by chance it is one of them. Otherwise I am still in the haystack looking for the needle.

I thought surely at some point with the technology we have nowadays that someone had put together a more comprehensive list based on all of the information that is available out there. Maybe not.....maybe it ends up being me to do it???

Thanks again for any additional help you can provide!

Bill

Sorry it took a while to get back. I was doing some construction while the ground was soft. Here is what I found.

White exterior: Color production numbers are well documented until 1962. Then, for 1962, they only show a couple colors with known numbers. White isn't one of them.

Red interior. No numbers listed. Color and trim/color combination numbers aren't known.

Radio: 11,392 with carbureted engines.

Hard top:
in place of soft top: 8074
in addition to soft top: 4895

3-speed close ratio trans w/250 & 300 horse engines: 1619, no separation between the two.

250 horse engine: 4907

Positraction axle: 14232. no breakdown on ratios.

I hope this helps you some. Many people hope that someday, in a back corner of GM someplace, a box will be found with the build records on C1 Corvettes. Have you tried to contact Gene Crump Chevrolet? If they still operate in an old building there is a chance that sales files are stored upstairs someplace. That happened to a guy that inquired at the dealer my wife worked at once. A guy ended up with his complete dealer sales file on his 1960.

Tom

Last edited:
Sorry it took a while to get back. I was doing some construction while the ground was soft. Here is what I found.

White exterior: Color production numbers are well documented until 1962. Then, for 1962, they only show a couple colors with known numbers. White isn't one of them.

Red interior. No numbers listed. Color and trim/color combination numbers aren't known.

Radio: 11,392 with carbureted engines.

Hard top:
in place of soft top: 8074
in addition to soft top: 4895

3-speed close ratio trans w/250 & 300 horse engines: 1619, no separation between the two.

250 horse engine: 4907

Positraction axle: 14232. no breakdown on ratios.

I hope this helps you some. Many people hope that someday, in a back corner of GM someplace, a box will be found with the build records on C1 Corvettes. Have you tried to contact Gene Crump Chevrolet? If they still operate in an old building there is a chance that sales files are stored upstairs someplace. That happened to a guy that inquired at the dealer my wife worked at once. A guy ended up with his complete dealer sales file on his 1960.

Tom
Yea I have looked up their information, but they sold out 50+ years ago. So I doubt there is any information out there from them. Who knows, maybe who they sold to and who that person sold to, etc etc. they all kept the old information and it's sitting in a warehouse somewhere?!?!

I've taken all the data I can find on the C1 Registry site and sorted it by the same information you provided above. I have a list of about 20-30 with those specific specs that have the VINs provided. My local courthouse said they could look up to see if any of those VINs were ever registered here locally. They just needed the last 6-8 numbers of the VIN. I didn't have that info when I called them asking about it. I plan to call back and maybe get lucky.

It's nice to have a courthouse willing to help you. Good luck.
Tom

Last edited:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom