Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: 1962 Corvette Windshield

Bourbon

Corvette
1966 Coupe Torch Red, 1962 Original Roman Red
Hi Everyone, I have just purchased a '62 so my '66 coupe is no longer lonely.

I need to get my windshield and door posts restored. Glassworks the Hardtop shop wants $2200 to do the entire windshield with new glass and $350 for each door post.

Are these guys the only option out there, and if so how has anyone's experience been with them.

Michael

Auto Entec

There is also Auto Entec.....interesting part is Auto Entec is the father of the principal in the The Hard Top Shop and they are only a few miles apart in the Pittsburgh, PA area.

However....I do not believe you will find Auto Entec any cheaper.

You will find, if you research D-I-Y articles on these C1 windshields, frames and hardware that they are a nightmare to work on. There were/articles in Corvette Restorer (NCRS Publication) and another publication on this subject in the past.

I have a 1962 Roman Red Two Tops (Hardtop done by the Hardtop Shop)

Thanks for the info, Im OK to pay the money as long as it is my best option. I have bought too many things in the past only to find them a week or so later at nearly half the price. Is there a clear winner out of the two options ??

Michael

You will find, if you research D-I-Y articles on these C1 windshields, frames and hardware that they are a nightmare to work on.

True enough, replacing the glass and rubber isn't a trivial job, but neither is it an impossible job for the DIYer. I did it, and if I can do it, anyone with a reasonable amount of patience can, too. In fact, if faced with a $2200 price tag for someone else to do the work, I'd darn sure give it a go before writing out a check.

What I remember as the only truly difficult part of the job was reinstalling the top piece of stainless that connects the two chrome uprights. That is a very stiff, unyielding piece of metal which is why it was hard to reinstall.

Otherwise, my memory is that re-assembly was pretty straightforward.

Of course, it was 20 years ago that I did this....

Jim

What is included in the $2200 price tag??

My interpretation of the original post was that the Hardtop Shop would completely restore the windshield and all hardware including:

New correctly dated glass, buffing all stainless, repair and rechrome end posts, new gaskets, re-assemble and re-install.

Glass alone is at least $500, chroming is expensive...probably over $150 for each post, you can shop around for prices on the gaskets etc. add it all up and the rest is labor. Average auto repair shop labor in my part of the country(Philly suburbs) is about $85/ hour. Specialty shops are higher.

If you attempt the removal and reinstall yourself a word of caution. There are bolts on the lower tabs of the end posts that are not "obvious". Many of these posts( EXPENSIVE TO REPLACE or REPAIR) have been broken by folks forcing the tabs because they thought they had all the bolts out but did not.

Re-assembly of one these windshields is a TWO MAN JOB.

Do your homework....then decide what approach you want to take.

62 Roman Red Two Tops....

This price was for a full restoration of the entire front windshield. I think its worth it as I could not do it for that price. My stainless is dented and posts pitted. I think it best to leave this to the pro's in my case.

I thought the windshield price was ok, but the door posts for $350ea was a little high.

W/S Post prices

To get a comparison see if Corvette Central or Paragon restores them and what they get as a sanity check on the $350 number.

At Carlisle in 2010 I spoke to a vendor that had complete reproduction C1 windshields for sale. All I can remember is that all the parts (posts, stainless trim, etc.) were made in China and the complete unit that was on display looked pretty good. I seem to remember that the cost for a complete assembled frame with glass was $2500. The guy's name was Tom, phone number: 757-490-2570

Charles

Corvette Central 1962 windshield prices

Just looked at Corvette Central.(Corvette Central | Corvette Parts and Accessories including Exhaust and Performance.) In general their repro parts are better than most. They get $2795 for a complete repro windshield and frame.(Undated Glass) In your case (Austrailia!) Freight is going to be more than their standard $250 for a windshield restoration. Their catalog price to restore your windshield(assuming all parts are useable) is $2495...again FREIGHT is going to be a big deal for you and you'll need to ship it both ways. Suggest you visit their site and look at all the parts prices and options available to you as a sanity check on your quote from Glassworks. I noted that a number of the windshield trim sections for the 62 windshield are DISCONTINUED.

Freight expense issue for you would apply to The Hardtop Shop(Glassworks) or Auto-Entec or Corvette Central or any vendor you deal with here in the states..

I will acknowledge that Glassworks did the resto on my 62 hardtop in conjunction with a complete strip and professional refinish of my car. They do very good work but it is not inexpensive. Their coordination with my body shop to get the top fiberglass panel painted with the car body (the way the General did it) and restore and reassemble the top was excellent. My top was on display at Glassworks vendor space at Corvettes at Carlisle in August of 2009.

62 Roman Red 2 Tops

I would be more worried about sending my precious windshield halfway around the world than the price. In the end I'm sure it would be worth it as long as it didn't get lost or damaged. If you are up to a challenge and like to do your own restoration work why not disassemble it yourself. You will then know if you want to try to reassemble it or farm it out. Also, if you decide to ship it off you will need a much smaller container for the parts once the old glass is removed. Have you checked in your country for anyone that does high quality restoration and chroming of castings? The stainless mouldings aren't that hard to remove dings from. Eastwood makes tools especially for this work. You could get them buffed locally or set up with equipment of your own and buff them yourself.

Tom

I would be more worried about sending my precious windshield halfway around the world than the price. In the end I'm sure it would be worth it as long as it didn't get lost or damaged. If you are up to a challenge and like to do your own restoration work why not disassemble it yourself. You will then know if you want to try to reassemble it or farm it out. Also, if you decide to ship it off you will need a much smaller container for the parts once the old glass is removed. Have you checked in your country for anyone that does high quality restoration and chroming of castings? The stainless mouldings aren't that hard to remove dings from. Eastwood makes tools especially for this work. You could get them buffed locally or set up with equipment of your own and buff them yourself.

Tom

My '62 has not made it to Australia yet, its still in Kentucky. Im nearly finished my '66, its come up great, ready for paint now, I got 530hp on the dyno last week. I was getting the work done that I did not think could be done well in Australia, which is the pot metal chrome, stainless repair and convertible top. I can do most hings but this one is one I need the pro's to do for me before I ship.

I contacted Auto Entec for a cost and they were higher than Glassworks, when i mentioned they were higher they said 'you get what you pay for'. Are they suggesting they are better because they are or is it rivalry against a competitor. Still need to find a good person to do the soft top in KY, im near Danville/Lexington. Any suggestions ??????

Glassworks vs. Auto Entec

There is no love lost between the father (Auto Entec) and son(Glassworks) after a business split up some years ago.
The Corvette restoration shop that painted my car and installed a new top prefers Glassworks.

62 Roman Red 2 Tops

There is no love lost between the father (Auto Entec) and son(Glassworks) after a business split up some years ago.
The Corvette restoration shop that painted my car and installed a new top prefers Glassworks.

62 Roman Red 2 Tops

Thankyou so much for you input. Ive seen Glassworks videos on Youtube and like what I see. Id love to see some pics of your '62. Email me if you dont mind on bourbon@internode.on.net

Good idea to have this work done before shipping. I have seen Glassworks displays at shows and agree that their product is excellent.

The father (Ted Kokolis) was killed in a plane crash last year - someone else is running Auto Entec for him now.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom