Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! 1964 327 Fueli

robo

Corvette
1964 L84
Hello, has anyone replaced a cam on a C2 Corvette without pulling the motor? I have the original Rochester Fuel Injection on a rebuilt 327 and i'm looking for a hotter/lumpy cam that's streetable for the motor. Been looking at CompCams 30/30 Nostalgia cam for a little more mid/top end? Any ideas? Thanks, Bob.

The "rebuilt 327"....is it the proper 327/375 which came with F.I. in '64?

First off Robo, a welcome is in order. :w You'll find CAC is full of knowledgeable and helpful people. Please post up some pictures of your 64 when you have time.

From what I can tell with a very quick look.

The CC Nostalgia has a 4 degree advance with a stock TG set over the stock cam. However, I didn't dig too deeply.

Advancing cam timing moves the power a little lower and retarding it a little higher in the RPMs. A little means a couple of hundred RPMs. Advance is more power in the low end and retarded is more power higher in the RPMs. The Nostagilia has about .012" more lift also. You'll see a little more power

I'm not sure if you would need to replace the valve springs. The easy answer is if yours are original, yes you do.

You'll also need to shim any valve springs to set them up correctly. The springs will come with a coil spacing valve at the highest lift. Shimming means each spring has the same space between coils at max lift. Too little clearance and the coils touch; too much and you don't get the force you paid for; either is bad juju.

It ought to have a wicked sounding idle. :D

Supposedly Comp Cams doesn't parkerize their cams. That being said they also grind cams for a lot of other companies.
Parkerizing:
"Parkerizing, bonderizing, phosphating, or phosphatizing is a method of protecting a steel surface from corrosion and increasing its resistance to wear through the application of a chemical phosphate conversion coating."

You might consider the GM LT-1 cam which has the (I believe) the L-72 profile intake lobe and the 30-30 exhaust lobe. Someone here will know the correct answer, if I am incorrect. I ran a LT-1 advanced 4 degrees in a 350-388" and it was sweet on the street.

If yours is the same as my ex-65; you can cherry pick the engine pretty easily.

Hib, Yes, It has a correct replacement block w/ double hump heads and original Rochester Fi. 327,375.

If the engine is stock, the camshaft that's in the engine now is the proverbial "30/30 Duntov". That's a pretty aggrerssive flat tappet camshaft for a street driven F.I. 327. If you're going to stick with the stock mechanical lifters, I'd leave well-enough alone.

Does this replacement block use the stock pistons?

The absolute LAST thing your fuelie needs is a "hotter/lumpier streetable" cam; your Rochester fuel injection system depends on a stable vacuum supply for reliable operation, and the more radical you go with the cam, the more problems you're going to have with fuel metering and driveability. The REALLY smart move would be to pull the stock "30-30" cam and replace it with an original "097" Duntov. :thumb

:beer

64 Fueli

The absolute LAST thing your fuelie needs is a "hotter/lumpier streetable" cam; your Rochester fuel injection system depends on a stable vacuum supply for reliable operation, and the more radical you go with the cam, the more problems you're going to have with fuel metering and driveability. The REALLY smart move would be to pull the stock "30-30" cam and replace it with an original "097" Duntov. :thumb

:beer
John, Great advice since the Rochester was rebuilt and hasn't had any problems. I've heard of the nightmares people have had with those and I'm more concerned with keeping the FI than pumping up the motor. Thanks for the advice. Bob.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom