Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1964 Re,paint

DUAL QUAD

Corvette
1960 1964
Hello everyone ,I have a 64 convertible we are doing a frame on restoration.the body is down to bare glass looking to do either original paint or base coat clear coat.The 64 is all numbers matching.i plan on selling it when it is finished if we go with base coat clear coat will this limit the market for selling, and how much will it effect the selling price .Riverside Red any input will be greatly appreciated thanks.Bob W

DUAL QUAD said:
Hello everyone ,I have a 64 convertible we are doing a frame on restoration.the body is down to bare glass looking to do either original paint or base coat clear coat.The 64 is all numbers matching.i plan on selling it when it is finished if we go with base coat clear coat will this limit the market for selling, and how much will it effect the selling price .Riverside Red any input will be greatly appreciated thanks.Bob W

DUAL QUAD,

A big welcome to :CAC . The more C1 and C2 people here the better.

I imagine the base/clear will have a negative impact if originality is the buyer's goal. Although my car is base/clear, it likely reduces the number of potential buyers looking for an original-type car. By how much? ;shrug

hi Bob

welcome to CAC!!

Personally, I don't think BC/CC will limit any value or potential buyers unless their main goal on purchasing the car will be for NCRS judging.
I have a '65 all numbers matching coupe that was body-off restored and it's in the paint shop now getting new paint. I choose to go with BC/CC simply because I don't go thru NCRS judging (it's just a very nice driver car to me) and I think the BC/CC is a bit more durable for regular usage and it should be a bit easier to repair if needed for future chips or scratches that may occur in normal usage thru time. This was an issue I discussed in depth with my painter who has 30+ years experience in specializing in older Vettes. We stripped off lacquer but he recommended going with BC/CC for the reasons I stated above. He mentioned he would normally only recommend staying with lacquer and the associated higher pricing of a lacquer paint job only if the car was going to be a trailer queen and go to shows.
I'm sure others on here will have different opinions on the use of BC/CC vs lacquer but that's what I decided to go with on mine.

Tough call - I think it depends on the car. No doubt shiny paint sells cars. I would say that if you have a car that is at all rare or one that is top flight candidate, then keep it consistent, i.e. original. If it is a driver, albeit a numbers matching mostly correct one, and if resale is the only concern, then slick it and go base/clear. I say that because there are more people in the market for that type of car who will be turned on by a pretty car than those that will be turned off by a non-original one. While in the case of a flight car or rare-option car, the opposite may be true.

64 repaint

Thank you 67 Heaven,Barry K, Rug Head, for your input much appreciated.I will keep the CAC informed of the progress leaning towards BC/CC now, thanks once again.Bob W :w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom