Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: 1965 engine swap

freeequip

Corvette
1965 Red Conv
I just purchased a 65 Vette and would like to install a crate 383
looking for articles or advice before getting started:) Thanks

Fairly straight forward but you might want to look into a slightly larger capicty radiator with the extra cubes. Aluminum radiators cool better for the same size but are nearly unrepairable. Fresh motor and trany mounts, if it has a powerglide now is the time to consider a 700R4, upgrade to A/C, if a stick how about a 5spd w/od? Generally go through the car and be sure bushings, rod ends, shocks, ball joints and brakes are up to your new found power.

Thanks,
4 Speed Car / Aluminum Rad a must
Will 383 use same motor mount locations ?

As far as I know the only small blocks with different mounts are the very early ones like in 55,56 & 57.

It is a straight bolt in. Welcome to the CAC.

Tom

Free, Hot Rod mag. has a good article for first time engine installers this month. Answers a bunch of questions you may have.

Go for it

I installed a 383 and a TKO600 in my 65 coupe last winter. It fit in no problem with all the same mounts etc.
It went pretty smooth overall. The only issues I had were from my own inexperience. It was my first time with a project of this scale so there were things I did the hard way. I did it all myself with just some help muscle wise to pull the old and drop in the new.
If your into cars and hotrods it will be fun and you'll learn alot. Thank God for the internet because I did have a million questions being my first time but It was the winter and I took my time.
I do suggest you come up with a game plan first and do some research. There will be things you will want to do while your at it. Some things are a lot more accesable with the engine out so that's the time to do them. I rebuilt my headlight motors for example because access was better without the radiator etc. in place.

Good luck, Mark

Thanks for Info, What did you do about Dist driven Tach ?

Thank for info, What did you do about Dist driven Tach ?info
I installed a 383 and a TKO600 in my 65 coupe last winter. It fit in no problem with all the same mounts etc.
It went pretty smooth overall. The only issues I had were from my own inexperience. It was my first time with a project of this scale so there were things I did the hard way. I did it all myself with just some help muscle wise to pull the old and drop in the new.
If your into cars and hotrods it will be fun and you'll learn alot. Thank God for the internet because I did have a million questions being my first time but It was the winter and I took my time.
I do suggest you come up with a game plan first and do some research. There will be things you will want to do while your at it. Some things are a lot more accesable with the engine out so that's the time to do them. I rebuilt my headlight motors for example because access was better without the radiator etc. in place.

Good luck, Mark

Thanks for Info, What did you do about Dist driven Tach ?

Great Site glad I found you guys,:)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom